cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text, MMS not always working iPhone SE; can't fully adjust APN

paxcaritas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi There -- two issues here,

1. MMS: Over the last few weeks I've started to have trouble sending MMS (picture) messages on my iPhone SE -- sometimes they go through to the recipient, sometimes not -- but they always "look" like they've gone through on my end (no "message failed to send" note). I looked at the forum and there is some talking of the APN settings, but I don't seem to be able to access the required section. I tried Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options> this only leads to "Enable LTE," "Data Roaming," and "Low Data Mode." No other options. I also tried Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Network> which leads to "APN", "Username" and "Password." The APN is listed at isp.mb.com and the others are blank. I don't have the full list of APN options that are noted in other posts. Any suggestions?

2. I have also simply NOT RECEIVED some regular text messages from another Public Mobile user; on her end they look like they were sent, but nothing came through on my end. Thoughts?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

paxcaritas

Yes, my data was turned on. It looks like I'm having an actual problem with my sim card or my account (can't even make calls now), so I'm in touch with PM about that. If the picture messaging continues to be a problem once the account is working again then I'll have to sort that out separately.

Since I wasn't using iMessages anyway, maybe someone who does regularly use iMessages can speak to your full question.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@paxcaritas wrote:

Hi There -- two issues here,

1. MMS: Over the last few weeks I've started to have trouble sending MMS (picture) messages on my iPhone SE -- sometimes they go through to the recipient, sometimes not -- but they always "look" like they've gone through on my end (no "message failed to send" note). I looked at the forum and there is some talking of the APN settings, but I don't seem to be able to access the required section. I tried Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options> this only leads to "Enable LTE," "Data Roaming," and "Low Data Mode." No other options. I also tried Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Network> which leads to "APN", "Username" and "Password." The APN is listed at isp.mb.com and the others are blank. I don't have the full list of APN options that are noted in other posts. Any suggestions?

2. I have also simply NOT RECEIVED some regular text messages from another Public Mobile user; on her end they look like they were sent, but nothing came through on my end. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have similar problems. With our iPhone SEs. 

Just before I begin, when you text a pic...did you turn your data on? It’s a must. 

Ok. So I have very little data. 250 mb. So I have it turned off and only turn it on when I need it, use it, then turn it back off. 

Since our Telus prepaid plan that we have been on for a decade we refrain from texting at the cost of 50 cents each. 

Every  one we know and iMessage  back and forth with, has an iPhone and we usually iMessage to an email address and stay away from an iMessage to a phone number. 

So now with PM, with data and wifi OFF. I can text out in a green bubble. But never get an answer back. 

BUT if I turn ON WiFi or data the amswer arrives. 

So are my MESSAGE settings wrong?

I did a test with grandson. His data is usually on, my previous text strings on his phone in blue have not been deleted. I asked to turn data off (we were in car so no wifi) and delete previous messages but still no answer to my phone. I asked him to check his settings and his phone number was checked off for “sending messages from”. 

So does any one know....is it settings.....is it a iPhone quirk.......is it an iPhone collusion with mobile company’s to force use of data?

I am not sure if it is a iPhone or a PM issue. But vaguely remember on Telus......cellular texting was not an issue...maybe.....maybe not.

paxcaritas

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the quick help; I was able to try the various suggestions and in the end, it does indeed look like a sim problem, as I tested my sim in an Android and nothing worked (messages or calls); I also tested my Dad's PM sim in my iPhone and everything went through fine.

I'll contact a moderator next.

Thanks again!

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact a moderator for any complicated issue by clicking on ?, bottom right, and follow instructions. They should reply within several hours or a day. The members have put forth good possible solutions as well.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@paxcaritasiOS do not use APN to configure internet settings. I would suggest turning off iMessages and turn it on again and see if the settings will restart itself.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@paxcaritas  Check your iMessage settings make sure SMS and MMS are turned on. If you have access to another phone (not iPhone) maybe not a bad idea to test your sim. If messages go through then it's your phone. If not, submit a ticket to PM.

stpm-new.png

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@paxcaritas 

You should NOT need to change APN settings with iPhones. It should be automatic unless old iPhone like  iPhone 5 or older. 

Data needs to be working properly for MMS messaging to work. Maybe try a network reset. 

Were the other PM friends android phone users?  May need to turn SMS messaging on in iMessage settings. 

Need Help? Let's chat.