cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

In this page, you will find Public Mobile APN Settings for your smartphone.

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Blackberry

OS 10 - Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Tap the settings icon (dented wheel)

Windows

Windows 8 Step 1 Settings > cellular > Add or Edit internet APN 

iPhone

Click here

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

121 REPLIES 121

Henderg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you, it worked!

@Jynelle 

Number ports often take a little while (a day or two) to fully complete, basically a business day or so for all the network-side machinery to get updated about the change. So it's one of those problems which usually sorts itself out - don't panic, be patient, and restart your device every few hours until it starts working. 

You will need to configure APN settings (and restart) to get data and msg attachments working properly, but you can't really do that until the phone properly connects to the network.

The phone may report "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile 3G" for a little while but this doesn't seem to cause any issues and, again, it tends to sort itself out after a while.

If you just can't get it working then try your PM SIM card in another unlocked phone. Or ask a vendor (like London Drugs) to configure it for you while buying a PM payment voucher. 

Jynelle

OMG - You reminded I did not do the 1st thing I should have done...

Did I turn it off then turn it on again?
No.

Did I do it now?
Yes.

Does it work now?
yes.

Did not have to do a network reset, just had to reboot the darn phone, LOL.
Everything seems to work just fine.  Thank you.

@Jynelle 

@Jynelle wrote:

I know this is a self serve system.  Thanks.  Just trying to figure out how to diagnose this issue.

The phone was working fine on the Bell network when I switched it last night.

I unlocked it and, got the SIM card last week. Yesterday, I switched from Bell to PM. The phone worked fine and 1 hr later, I had migrated my number to PM and was all setup, but the phone is not connecting to the PM network even though the phone can see it.

Not sure what else I can say that would help.

Does anything work?  ie. talk, text...  APN settings is important for data, but the talk and text should be working if port was done properly.  

Maybe try a network reset....

Jynelle

I know this is a self serve system.  Thanks.  Just trying to figure out how to diagnose this issue.

The phone was working fine on the Bell network when I switched it last night.

I unlocked it and, got the SIM card last week. Yesterday, I switched from Bell to PM. The phone worked fine and 1 hr later, I had migrated my number to PM and was all setup, but the phone is not connecting to the PM network even though the phone can see it.

Not sure what else I can say that would help.

@JynelleSwap the SIM card into a known working phone to figure out if it is a configuration / hardware issue or an issue with Public Mobile. Public Mobile is cheap because there is no hand holding, so most diagnosis has to be DIY.

Jynelle

I followed the instructions to the letter, including the alternate setup near the end of this thread but no luck.  My Galaxy S6 with Android 7.0 does not want to connect to the network even though it recognizes PM as being there.

Anyone with any sugestions?

Thanks.

ann73

Thank you for this! I was able enabled my data following this instruction.

@Franz1986 wrote:

In that case I would save all pictures and videos on a memory card! Then do a factory data reset, 

That's what I had to do, on my wife's phone. Works Good now. What type of phone do you have?

NOTE: It may NOT be necessary to perform a factory reset!

I just had same problem on my LG G4. Tried everything except factory reset but no go, including manually entering settings but after reading all the suggestions in this forum, I thought it was going to be the only way to go. BUT I could not do this because I could not find a way to fully back up my 32GB from my phone (did not have a large enough SD card and LG backup could not handle that size data, UGH!).

After several mods, finally found ONE PM mod who sent me configuration files via text. After I loaded them, all was well (I did not even have to power off my phone). Not sure why that worked when manual entries did not (and yes I checked the settings were correct). So, if you have trouble, ask a mod to send you the configuration files instead. This might fix thing and avoid a factory reset.

Meanwhile, let's review the settings:

For data / internet access, all you need is:

Name: Public Mobile Internet (this can be anything you want)

All else is left blank. That's it!

For MMS (picture / video text messaging), also set the following:

MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca (= 74.49.0.18) OR mmschoodmm1.telus.com (=209.202.119.4)
MMS port: 80 OR 8799

(using a url is a better practice than using a fixed IP address)

The rest should AUTOFILL once you save the settings above and TURN ON data.
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl,
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Julie30wrote:

I have tried those APNs and nothing works, I am trying to get my data and picture messaging to work on my LG G5!! Someone help please !

quote from this Knowledge Base article: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

"Lastly, if you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we highly suggest doing a factory reset of your phone. We have found this to often be the only way to get data working on LG devices!"

NOTE: It may NOT be necessary to perform a factory reset!

I just had same problem on my LG G4. Tried everything except factory reset but no go, including manually entering settings but after reading all the suggestions in this forum, I thought it was going to be the only way to go. BUT I could not do this because I could not find a way to fully back up my 32GB from my phone (did not have a large enough SD card and LG backup could not handle that size data, UGH!).

After several mods, finally found ONE PM mod who sent me configuration files via text. After I loaded them, all was well (I did not even have to power off my phone). Not sure why that worked when manual entries did not (and yes I checked the settings were correct). So, if you have trouble, ask a mod to send you the configuration files instead. This might fix thing and avoid a factory reset.

Meanwhile, let's review the settings:

For data / internet access, all you need is:

Name: Public Mobile Internet (this can be anything you want)

All else is left blank. That's it!

For MMS (picture / video text messaging), also set the following:

MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca (= 74.49.0.18) OR mmschoodmm1.telus.com (=209.202.119.4)
MMS port: 80 OR 8799

(using a url is a better practice than using a fixed IP address)

The rest should AUTOFILL once you save the settings above and TURN ON data.
APN type: default,mms,supl,

Chillip

Found APN. Followed your instruction. Th eproblem solved.

thanks, Anna.

robert

@Mogens_Eliasen wrote:

What does it mean to save this?  There is no Save/Done button.

And where to go for selecting Public Mobile?

There are some devices running specific versiosn of Android that you had to manually tell it to save the changes or they wouldn't get applied.  I believe that in most recent versions, you only need to press the back button.

For Android, click:
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile/Cellular Networks > Access Point Names >

These are mine:
While your in there check your APN settings:

These are mine.
Name: Mobile Internet
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Mogens_Eliasen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What does it mean to save this?  There is no Save/Done button.

And where to go for selecting Public Mobile?

lino6773

That's awesome!  Thank you! 

belstone

thank you 

Franz1986

In that case I would save all pictures and videos on a memory card! Then do a factory data reset, 

That's what I had to do, on my wife's phone. Works Good now. What type of phone do you have?

@shimuzhang wrote:

My phone is Huwei 20 

@shimuzhangOk that phone should work with Public Mobile. Are you using 2 sims? Can you post a screenshot of your current apn settings?

shimuzhang

My phone is Huwei 20 

@shimuzhang wrote:

I've checked and followed all the steps it still not working. Even the people who works in the moblie store can not help me. Is there anyone can help set this up? It has been really frustating. 

@shimuzhang  For better visibility you should consider starting a new post. What type of phone do you have? These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

shimuzhang

I've checked and followed all the steps it still not working. Even the people who works in the moblie store can not help me. Is there anyone can help set this up? It has been really frustating. 

MilkMan2

posted by mistake.

bluerazzberry_3

awesomely written made it very simple

eliza3

Use the following website to set up ANP

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile?amp=1

Kovaelin

There seems to be a lot of varying information here, so I just wanted to let people know that I managed to get data to work on my old LG Phoenix (3G only). After I configured the APN, it actually didn't seem to work right away. I checked my phone after ~30 minutes, and it was working then. No hard reset was necessary.

JMoher

I love whomever posted these clear instructions! 🙂 Thank you!

rickstevens

Hey There,

Worked out well...Thank you!

Now, if you are not use to working inside the parimeters of your phone it could be challenging and annoying but be patient it will come.

Thank you again. Rick

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@timmmmeh wrote:

Thanks for writing this up .Fixed our new phones up in no time

@timmmmeh Ribbolah-Timmeh!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

timmmmeh
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for writing this up .Fixed our new phones up in no time

S15smallblock

It was the APN. Did a little research on XDA developers. I removed "supl" from 'APN type' now it is working. But thanks fo the reply.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73718465&postcount=181

Need Help? Let's chat.