cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ported from SpeakOut to PM recently (late 2021)

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Our SpeakOut balance is about to expire mid of December, and since that connection / call quality has become worse and worse over time since Rogers started to "upgrade" their network, we'd like to port that number into our existing Public Mobile account.

I have looked at previous threads here in the community. I know that SO doesn't have account numbers, and that some people have used their 10 digit phone number instead.

I have my account PIN handy for verification.

So, if someone has successfully gone through this scenario in the past few months or so, could you please share your experience?

Did you put your phone number into the account number field?

Does SpeakOut do the "confirm port request" text (read conflicting info on this)?

Thank you for your help!

PS - I will be away from the community for the day, but will check in later today.

16 REPLIES 16

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

Lol....that's a super late reply to @chipmunk 's update. 😁

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chipmunk wrote:

Just to update this:

I nearly left this too late (as always the account to be ported from needs to be active...) - but initiated the port from SpeakOut to an existing Public Mobile account tonight.

Phone number to be ported was deemed eligible, on the next screen it asked for ONE of account number, IMEI OR PIN plus the mandatory alternate number and name on [SpeakOut] account, and check on "I'm authorized". I provided the PIN only.

About 10 minutes after that I got Public Mobile's text asking me to restart the phone to finalize the port. (after restart the message came in again, so I rebooted the phone again.)

Did a test call in and out, as well as texts both ways and everything seems to work properly on the PM SIM.

'''

That was super quick to port from Speakout.

chipmunk

@chipmunk wrote:

I'm aware that self-solutions are frowned up here.

However, I did NOT choose the previously chosen solution. (I did not choose a solution on purpose until the problem would be solved and I'd come back for an update. So, to whomever found it fit to decide this for me: This is a bit insulting, IMO 10 days is a reasonable time to sort things like this.)

While @popping 's suggestions in the previously selected solution are generally good and solid advice (and I have given it the according recognition with a bravo), I believe it is valid "general information" but does not address the "late 2021" part of my question.

Assuming that most people searching for the most recent experience with ports from SpeakOut will not read past the accepted solution, I decided to change it to my update. If I get banned from the community for this, so be it.

Ok, this is getting old really fast.

I explained why I chose my own follow up post as solution. But now it's considered unsolved?!? Really? And how about owning up to your actions and explain why you (whoever you are) did what you did?

chipmunk

@darlicious , @popping 

Thank you for the feedback (I have edited the solution accordingly...) and the warm welcome. 

popping

@chipmunk 

It was an Oracle picked the solution for this thread.  It is fine with me that if you choose your answer as the solution.  

I added the wait for SO confirmation text message step at the end of my post as my update to for the 2021 requirements.

Welcome to PM and enjoy your saving with PM. 

Have a better and better days to you, your family and every PM subscribers.

@chipmunk 

Thank you for the update. If I may suggest an edit to your solution....include what you mentioned in one of your other posts that the Speak out is no longer working as that is conclusive proof that the port completed and it was the only thing that initially concerned me when you had said your account was still active.

I do agree that sometimes oracles will choose a solution to soon as they go about their duties. But since it's not locked in you were able to change it to the appropriate answer which happens to be yours and had it not already been chosen then it probably would have been by an oracle. I don't think anyone would have a problem with your self solution the way it has played out.

Welcome fully to public mobile! 

chipmunk

I'm aware that self-solutions are frowned up here.

However, I did NOT choose the previously chosen solution. (I did not choose a solution on purpose until the problem would be solved and I'd come back for an update. So, to whomever found it fit to decide this for me: This is a bit insulting, IMO 10 days is a reasonable time to sort things like this.)

While @popping 's suggestions in the previously selected solution are generally good and solid advice (and I have given it the according recognition with a bravo), I believe it is valid "general information" but does not address the "late 2021" part of my question.

Assuming that most people searching for the most recent experience with ports from SpeakOut will not read past the accepted solution, I decided to change it to my update. If I get banned from the community for this, so be it.

chipmunk

@softech wrote:

@chipmunk   thanks for sharing your experience.  Interesting to know that SO account wasn't closed immediately  after account was ported.

There's a chance that that might be a (semi) manual thing that only happens during business days at SpeakOut. I'm glad that at least the porting was automated and didn't require SO CS or PM CSA intervention....

Edit: The SpeakOut SIM IS dead, as expected.

@chipmunk   thanks for sharing your experience.  Interesting to know that SO account wasn't closed immediately  after account was ported.

chipmunk

Just to update this:

I nearly left this too late (as always the account to be ported from needs to be active...) - but initiated the port from SpeakOut to an existing Public Mobile account tonight.

Phone number to be ported was deemed eligible, on the next screen it asked for ONE of account number, IMEI OR PIN plus the mandatory alternate number and name on [SpeakOut] account, and check on "I'm authorized". I provided the PIN only.

Public Mobile account updated new phone number immediately.

I'm in an area with spotty Rogers network, so I can't say if it took SpeakOut a half-hour to send me the following text, or if my phone only connected to the network long enough to get the text half-hour after initiating the port. Anyway, the short code text was: " A request to port your number to another provider has been received. If you did not authorize, contact us immediately at [followed by their tollfree CS number] (It didn't ask for active confirmation.)

About 10 minutes after that I got Public Mobile's text asking me to restart the phone to finalize the port. (after restart the message came in again, so I rebooted the phone again.)

Did a test call in and out, as well as texts both ways and everything seems to work properly on the PM SIM.

As of 9pm PDT, 90 minutes after initiating the port, the SO account is still accessible, but I think that is going to sort itself over the next couple of days (business days?).

Left a bit more money on there than I had hoped. But considering how much we saved over our previous (first tier prepaid) provider before we made SpeakOut our main line with optimizing bonus top-ups, I think it's ok. Now we're fully on PM and saving even more.

Thanks again for all your help, everybody! Really appreciate it.

Edt as sugested by @darlicious :

The SpeakOut SIM was dead when I rebooted the phone with the PM SIM after receiving the according text prompt from Public Mobile (I had the SIMs in different phones). Together with incoming calls and texts going to the PM SIM, as well as rejected calls going to the PM voicemail, that confirmed that the port had completed properly within 40 (ish) minutes start to finish on a Friday evening.

Nearly 45 hours later (Sunday early evening) the SpeakOut account is still accessible, but now shows "account expired". It will eventually close completely (unless I activate a new SpeakOut SIM from within the account, I guess).

chipmunk

Thank you all for taking the time.

Nothing left than taking the plunge. Which will probably happen this weekend.

popping

@popping wrote:

I am not on my laptop ATM and will update with my thread later.  Basically, SO need your phone number to be ported, IMEI number of your phone currently using with the SO service and you your phone number as the account number in the PM porting form.  I also included my SO PIN# because I don't want to contact CSA after a failed port and delay my port from SO.  It took about 4 hours from submitting PM port form to SO released my phone number to PM.  

There is an extra step to confirm the SO porting request from a few years ago.  After a failed port, create a support ticket to ask CSA to send you port request again to SO with the info above.  Answer yes to the SO text message.

Here is my thread on porting SO number to PM.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-number-from-Speakout-Apply-al...

@popping 

Thanks! I knew you were the authority on this porting procedure from Speak out!😃

popping

I am not on my laptop ATM and will update with my thread later.  Basically, SO need your phone number to be ported, IMEI number of your phone currently using with the SO service and you your phone number as the account number in the PM porting form.  I also included my SO PIN# because I don't want to contact CSA after a failed port and delay my port from SO.  It took about 4 hours from submitting PM port form to SO released my phone number to PM.  

There is an extra step to confirm the SO porting request from a few years ago.  After a failed port, create a support ticket to ask CSA to send you port request again to SO with the info above.  Answer yes to the SO text message.

@chipmunk 

Here is a solution from  @wetcoaster. I was sure @popping made a thread on how to do it but I can't find it. Maybe he will chime in....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Problem-porting-a-phone-number-from-Speak-...

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Start the process with PM and get a SIM card and set up an account of your liking. 

Take a PM number or port your number...or port your number later.

Leave SO sim in your phone.

Wait for a confirmation to port OUT from SO.

PM will email you as well that the port is final.  

Need Help? Let's chat.