cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

youtube.com works without data plan?. wierd

georgepacan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i noticed that i can access (youtube.com only in chrome with android) without a data addon and it loads pretty quick but videos do not load and also the main publicmobile.ca works nothing else, these two sites work as well when i tether to my pc even tho i didnt setup the tether apn

i wonder if telus keeps youtube unblocked so all customers would maybe have less usage when watching videos?

8 REPLIES 8

georgepacan

Ok

@georgepacan wrote:

@NDesai yes

Cool. I will try to verify this from someone without a data plan or get in touch with the PM team and see if this enabled for all with no data. 

georgepacan

@NDesai yes

georgepacan

yea i use incognito mode

georgepacan

yes

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I can see possibly that they would enable free access to the self serve portal as this is the only venue for account access.  YouTube stuff must be cached as already suggested.  If YouTube access was free, the number sign ups would go through the roof and the network would probably be pulled to it's knees.  The tether part is easy to explain.  The normally used APN support tethering.  

@georgepacan, please confirm that you can watch free YouTube and not what you have cached.  I would get a talk plan as my tablet plan in a heartbeat.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just speculating here, but...since it doesn't appear to let you go further than the top pages, are you sure it's not just loading cached pages on your phone?   I've seen that happen with my desktop browser occasionally, but I'm not sure whether that's possible with a phone.  I guess one way you could test that would be to clear your cache and then see if those pages still load again.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Interesting. Are you able to use the Public Mobile site as well as this community and the self-serve?

Need Help? Let's chat.