cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wishing to port out my number but don't have my old sim card

Rika08
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Help!  I have been told that I need to approve the request for my number to be ported.  I no longer have access to my old phone.  How can I have my approval be given?

9 REPLIES 9

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Rika08 wrote:

My contract with PM will automatically renew in about 48 hours.  Guess I gotta act fast. 

Sorry about your problems, I hope you can fix them. As for the 48 hour renewal, no matter what I think you want to login to your PM account (if you can; you don't have a SIM to receive the code, but click right after on "I didn't get code" and if you're lucky email will be an option). If you can get in, turn off autopay. That should prevent the renewal in 48 hours, in case you're still wrestling with it. In the event that you do have a chance to port again a week later, you can still pay to reactivate, but if worse comes to worst, and you have to walk away, you won't have paid for another month.

Hope that makes sense. It got a bit wordy at the end. 🙂

@Rika08  So is your phone working with Rogers but on a temporary phone number?

Rika08

Thanks I appreciate your help in taking time to respond. My contract with PM will automatically renew in about 48 hours.  Guess I gotta act fast. 

Well isn't that a pickle, @Rika08 

Go back to the Roger's representative and get the Public Mobile SIM card back.  If they DON'T have it, demand they cover the cost of a replacement to allow you to port your number from Public Mobile to there.

If they DON'T, go elsewhere  (unless you've already purchased the Roger's plan and can't get out of it)

EDIT:   it may be possible THEY arranged for the porting and replied "YES" to the PAT.   Ask them and try rebooting your device and resetting network connections.   These agents usually do that during the activation when moving you to their services.   Some are competent, some just want the quick sale.   

Rika08

Im moving from Public Mobile to Rogers.  The person who sold me my new phone/plan, removed my sim card and put in the new one for Rogers.  He had requested my number be ported and I have this recorded in the paperwork he gave me, but I see that I needed to have my old phone still usable to respond to text message from Public Mobile...which I now don't

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Rika08 

If you're porting your number from Public Mobile to another service and you no longer have the SIM card, this will prove to be difficult. You may be required to purchase a new SIM card and also you may need to make a purchase of a plan to start it so it's active. Only active numbers can be ported. All in all, you're looking at approx $25 plus taxes JUST to get your old number back. But then again, has it been more than 90 days since you've used it? If so, it's gone already. But more importantly, is $25 worth paying to get your old number back? Maybe you might want to just start over with a new number and fresh start.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Rika08  You can’t unfortunately. Unless it was Telus Koodo PM then there no chance 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Rika08 

I don't think any exception for this , unless you are porting over to Koodo or Telus. If you are porting to Koodo or Telus, you can call their helpdesk and provide them the PM account number and they can just move the number there.

But if you port to other carrier, you will have to buy a sim card and reactivate it.  You can buy it in person at Telus or Koodo store, or you can buy from Amazon cheaper for $5

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

You can't, @Rika08 , unless the provider you're moving AWAY from will allow you to 'verbally' approve the port to the new provider.

You'll have to ask them.

The other option is getting a new SIM card for their service, change the associated SIM card in their system, then you can receive the port authorization request.

From where, and to where, are you moving services?

Need Help? Let's chat.