cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is Public Mobile service NOT able to send text: Chinese Characters? how to fix it?

chch518
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I sent a text in Simplified Chinese characters to someone in China last night. 

However, He can not receive it/Simplified Chinese characters.

Instead, I sent a text in English, such as Hello, 

he received it. Why? how to fix it. 

why is  Public Mobile service NOT able to send Chinese Characters?

22 REPLIES 22

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Zyl wrote:

@Nezgar  All text messages sent or received show up in "view my usage" regardless if they are regular or RCS messages.  I send RCS messages all the time and they show up in in that data usage view.  

Good to know, thanks for that clarification! Though messages you receive from Public Mobile like 611 plan relewal alerts don't show up in the list.

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nezgar  All text messages sent or received show up in "view my usage" regardless if they are regular or RCS messages.  I send RCS messages all the time and they show up in in that data usage view.  

Let's find out @chch518 ,  great idea!!!

Please place a support ticket to Public Mobile to put forth your request and please let us know if this is a 'setting' Public Mobile has control over.

This information would be very helpful to the Community (who are just other users like you) so we can help others with similar concerns.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

chch518

Very good. 

Let's find it out!

Can anyone confirm if this is an issue with the system or with the device?

Can other network, Telus, Rogers, send languages that need Unicode , like Japanse, Korean, without issue?  I am not 100% sure if this is a PM issue only 

chch518

you are absolutely right. 

Public mobile has been around for years, why is there nobody who brings this issue up to its attention? Let PM FIX  it. 

Make it perfect! 

crustylady

@chch518 wrote:

Ok, we will see ... who is right? 

I believe that I deserve a one-time $20 credit from Public Mobile because I bring up a good point to its attention, and let PM fix it 

You believe you "deserve" a $20 credit for bringing up something which may likely NOT be within Public Mobile's control?

🙄

@chch518 

It may be more related to sending unicode characters in general, not just simplified Chinese.

Test sending texts with some emojis as well.. Ie:

😁💩🖖🤳💤🎃

chch518

Ok, we will see ... who is right? 

I believe that I deserve a one-time $20 credit from Public Mobile because I bring up a good point to its attention, and let PM fix it 

@chch518 wrote:

it looks nobody sent texts with Simplified Chinese Characters to China. 

the other end in Shanghai, China doesn't see the Chinese Characters texts, only English words, such as Happy New Year.

Can PM technical dept. look into it? 

what are the problems?

@chch518 

This sounds frustrating, however I don't believe this is something that Public Mobile has a lot of control over as a mobile phone provider.

I believe (but could be mistaken) what you're trying to do is strictly related to the device capabilities and settings on both the sender and the receiver end.

Try placing your SIM card in ANOTHER device to see if you can send the characters you wish to send in that format.   Also, can friends or family in Canada send the desired messages to the same recipient in China using the desired format?   If so, try to 'mirror' their device settings on their device to yours.

I hope this can be resolved for you so you can communicate as you prefer.

Good luck!

chch518

it looks nobody sent texts with Simplified Chinese Characters to China. 

the other end in Shanghai, China doesn't see the Chinese Characters texts, only English words, such as Happy New Year.

Can PM technical dept. look into it? 

what are the problems?

@chch518 wrote:

what are enhanced RCS messages?  how to enable it? 

RCS is the Google/Android messaging like apple's "iMessage" - it sends the messages over the Internet /mobile data instead of SMS/MMS.

In the normal google messages app: Settings>Chat features>Enable chat features

Try with the setting both ON and OFF.

Also confirm after sending a message if the event shows up under your usage history in the selfserve portal. I expect messages sent via RCS aka "Chat features" will not show up there since they are sent over Internet/Data.

chch518

what are enhanced RCS messages?  how to enable it? 

@sheytoon wrote:

@chch518 wrote:

I texted simplified Chinese characters to my friends' Canadian phone no. in Toronto. it works.

Are your Toronto friends receiving plain SMS messages, or enhanced RCS messages?

That's a good point... If they are being sent as RCS, they might not even show up at all under "view my usage" in the self-serve portal.

@chch518Try sending with and without "Chat features" enabled (under messages app>Settings>Chat features>Enable chat features)

@chch518 wrote:

I texted simplified Chinese characters to my friends' Canadian phone no. in Toronto. it works.

Are your Toronto friends receiving plain SMS messages, or enhanced RCS messages?

@chch518 All plans $15 and above have unlimited international MMS included.

chch518

I am going to use an MMS message to a Chinese phone no. in China, see if it works.

Is international MMS message to China free?

@chch518 

Sorry, I do not have personal experience with your problem.  There have been no recent complaints from customers about this issue and I am pretty sure other PM customers text internationally, especially to a popular country like China.  

I assume that other messaging services like WeChat works with simpliefied Chinese.

Can you text simplified chinese characters to other Canadian numbers?  

Maybe try texting via MMS message? 

You can also try your SIM card in another working phone.  To help determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  

chch518

anyone here sent a text with Chinese Simplified Characters to China, and the other end got it successfully? 

chch518

maybe you are right.

that's why I post my concerns here, and any fellow Pb USERS  has the same problems, or just mine, or my Chinese friends in China? 

Alexxja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

China has many barriers that may have interfered with your text. How about using a regular chat over wifi/data, or email, to send your message?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@chch518 wrote:

I sent a text in Simplified Chinese characters to someone in China last night. 

However, He can not receive it/Simplified Chinese characters.

Instead, I sent a text in English, such as Hello, 

he received it. Why? how to fix it. 

why is  Public Mobile service NOT able to send Chinese Characters?

@chch518 

If your friend sends you a text using the same format, can you receive it in a legible format?

I presume these are being sent SMS, and not through chat or iMessage formats?   

Need Help? Let's chat.