cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unacceptable

Loreli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For everyday use where I live, Public Mobile (“PM”) has provided satisfactory service for a good price. However, there have been a few instances that have left me very unhappy. This last instance was the last straw. I purchased international calling before leaving for vacation to another country, and according to my profile, it was successfully loaded to my account. When I arrived in this new country, I found I had no service provider linked to my cell - no way of letting my family know I had arrived safely. The fine print only mentioned possible problems in the U.S. with U.S. roaming - it did not mention any other country or any difficulty receiving service while in other countries. My travel companion had service bars on his phone, so there definitely was adequate towers in the area. I paid extra for that service, and I am so frustrated and tired of the long process of reaching out to PM that I'm not even going to attempt getting that money back. I've already called up another service provider and will have my number ported over as soon as my SIM card arrives. My hope in writing this is for PM to clarify its policies for the next person, because it seems some people are actually happy with PM.

7 REPLIES 7

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Others have made this mistake… as it is not spelled out clearly. However, the long distance international minutes add on is listed under the Canada add ons section. 
Maybe your post will highlight that it can be confusing. 

77E89E3B-64A5-4F8A-B9AE-43EC205D6EDA.png

5A3F7361-95AD-46C2-AE20-D10E4B6AD3C5.png

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Loreli 

for any provider, not just P.M,  roaming is what you need  when  you are outside of Canada and try to use the service there 

If you have not use any of those minutes yet, it is possible PM could providr refund if yiu ask nicely and explain to them you misunderstood the purpose of this addon.  You can try to open ticket with them

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Loreli 

the International Calling features are for calls to foreign country while that call originated in Canada.

If you travel outside of Canada or USA...there will be no PM service available.

You'd need to get a local sim and plan.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Loreli 

The international calling minutes add-ons.are for calling from Canada to the countries list in the add-on description.

PM offers roaming add-ons for US roaming only.  For other countries, you need to get a local SIM plan.

Sorry for your problem.  If you ask before leaving, members on this community will let you know.

@Loreli wrote:

For everyday use where I live, Public Mobile (“PM”) has provided satisfactory service for a good price. However, there have been a few instances that have left me very unhappy. This last instance was the last straw. I purchased international calling before leaving for vacation to another country, and according to my profile, it was successfully loaded to my account. When I arrived in this new country, I found I had no service provider linked to my cell - no way of letting my family know I had arrived safely. The fine print only mentioned possible problems in the U.S. with U.S. roaming - it did not mention any other country or any difficulty receiving service while in other countries. My travel companion had service bars on his phone, so there definitely was adequate towers in the area. I paid extra for that service, and I am so frustrated and tired of the long process of reaching out to PM that I'm not even going to attempt getting that money back. I've already called up another service provider and will have my number ported over as soon as my SIM card arrives. My hope in writing this is for PM to clarify its policies for the next person, because it seems some people are actually happy with PM.

Any add-on mentioning international calling is only for calling those couuntries while connected to the Public Mobile network. Unfortunately, long distance add-ons aren't for use while you're in other countries.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Loreli   PM only offers roaming while in the US and nowhere else, unfortunately.  Which country were you visiting?

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I thought the only addon that PM offers are for US roaming.  If you're in a different country the addon would not work.  

Hope your new provider works well for you and maybe you'll find your way back to PM one day. 

edit: just as a good travel practice it's a good idea to have a backup means of coms to back home.  Good IP based messaging apps could be signal, whatsapp, FB messenger should be considered.  This way as long as you can get on some wifi in an airport or hotel you can send a message back to loved ones even if you don't have a cell plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.