cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching old phone number from lost phone

todddjo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

we lost a phone weeks back while travelling in US; I tried to cancel the service, but the only option was to suspend the account, which I understand stays in limbo for 3 months (?).

we bought a new phone, and i tried to set up a new account, but it rejected my credit card - which i'm assuing is still tied to the suspended account, as there is no issues with the card itself.

I would like to take the existing number from the lost phone and transfer it to the new phone and un-suspend the account...how can i do this please?

6 REPLIES 6

A little tidbit out of your adventures...there are no roaming fees here.

todddjo

yes, the loop i'm in is that when i try to log in to that account, it sends the code to the lost phone! there is some good feedback, from my post so i'll try some of these other suggestions and report back. worst case scenario, we have to use another credit card to start another account. thank you !

todddjo

Thanks! I'll give this a try tonight. The phone didn't have cellular on as we were in the US and didn't want to pay roaming fees, so that might be out, but i'll play around with your instructions and see what happens.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@todddjo - if you have been in suspended status over 90 days than you lost your account and phone number, but has it only been a few weeks in suspended status? If so, perform a sim swap with you new SIM card. Log into My Account and 'find' your phone, then See "How To Change Your SIM Card" in this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-sim-number

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@todddjo  Your got your replacement sim card yet?

First, you do not "activate" the new sim card.  Instead, you will try to tie your new sim card on your My Account

But you have setup EverSafe ID yet? 

Assuming you have not setup EverSave ID yet,  you won't be able complete the part to link your My Account with the EverSafe ID, that needs a working phone with a working PM sim using SMS.  (Sending the code to email would not be a choice until  EverSafe id is fully setup) 

Try these workarounds, it could bypass the SMS in linking My Account with EverSafe ID

1. Reset your password to self service account. Once reset, sign in again with new password. Might be able to receive 2FA via email instead to gain access.
    (!!!You will need to click Resend Code and then Send email to trigger the 2FA to email)
  2. Potential workaround (for some): If you don't have access to SMS OTP, try entering an incorrect OTP code 4 times. For some individuals, this is giving the option of an email instead.

If none of those workarounds helps,  please open ticket with support and have them to help in this situation:

Private message CS agent at 
**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

ONCE you can get back into My Account.  You is what to do to tie the new sim card to your My Account

Login to My Account, go to Profile page, click the Pencil beside the Sim card and update it with the new sim card number

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-numberhttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-number

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@todddjo Is there a reason you can't unsuspend your existing account? You cannot transfer a number from PM to PM line. All you need is a new sim card and link to your existing account. 

Need Help? Let's chat.