cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed test slow

Helenruch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on 3G and just did a speed test with my data (yes, I turned off my wifi to run it). I notice it starts at around 3mbps or higher but then slows down consistently during the course of the speed test until it is very low. My final result for 2 tests was around 0.30mbps download speed (and 3.12mbps upload speed). Then I switched to a different speed test website and again saw it consistently lowering from 3mbps till the test ended and the result was 1.33mbps. This is extremely slow. I know I only pay for 3G but shouldn't I be getting 3mbps?  Also why did it keep going lower as the speed test continued? When I have done the test with wifi turned on, it actually fluctuates up and down, and not just down.

In case this is relevant: I just got a new Samsung Galaxy A54 5G phone. When I switch it to data only (wifi off), it says 5G in the top corner. Network mode says "5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)"

26 REPLIES 26

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Helenruch 

I have found the data speed for "3G" plan's to be rather slow in the past year with some speed tests to be well under 2mbps. In the past month or so the 3G network data speed has also slowed from its usual 10 to 12mbps. I just ran a couple of speed tests on the 4G LTE network. (2.46mbps) and the 3G network (4.62mbps). They used 10mb and 20mb respectively.

@softech wrote:

@Helenruch 

the only reason to keep it off 5G is more for battery saving. And yes, I would leave it with LTE instead of 5G

In the case of customers who are using the Google Tensor CPUs, using the 5G network option may actually be using more battery.

Helenruch

Yeah I think I will stop doing these tests now since I don't have a big data plan.

If you're set to 5G and getting full bars then maybe you're in a sweet spot where you are and just stay there for testing. (remember you're using a bunch of data doing these tests). Changing  the network you might need to move somewhere else to find the sweet spot. etc.

Helenruch

I tried setting it to LTE/WCDMA/GSM as you suggested and first test was 1.22mbps. I switched it back to 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, and second test was 2.34mbps so it got a little better (but it looks like it stayed on LTE when I was testing). Paid attention to how many bars of reception this time and it was 5 full bars.

Always remember that the 3G 4G 5G marketing here is all about speed. Yes we can connect to a 3G or 4G or 5G network but the speed is capped depending on whether you have a 4G or 5G speed plan. 3G network is a bit on its own deal.

@Helenruch  I’d leave it on automatic , and it will use what ever network its gets best signal from 

@Helenruch 

the only reason to keep it off 5G is more for battery saving. And yes, I would leave it with LTE instead of 5G

Helenruch

Is it better to keep it off 5G (and keep it on LTE) if I do not have 5G plan anyway?

@Helenruch 

instead of 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, you can try to change to LTE/WCDMA/GSM and you phone will likely drop back to LTE

you can also try WCDMA only, which is 3G only

Try speed test and try using data at those settings to see if you get more stable 3Mbps speed 

Leave the preferred network type on 5G.  In the past setting the preferred network type to 3G would yield an advantage because the 3G network was not traffic shaped.  These days with repurposing of spectrum from the 3G network to service 4G and 5G, 3G performance is generally much more congested.  Latency becomes as much of a problem as speed.  

Setting it to the other ones gives it a little more force to use those networks. auto connect will use what it can if it can connect to any of those.

Helenruch

I ran it with wifi off. 

Helenruch

I was not paying attention to how many bars of reception I had but looking now, it is 3 bars. It is on 5G but in my phone settings, network mode says "5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)." Should I be switching it if it is on auto mode though?

Update 1 minute later: now it is 5 bars..

Right, so where you see that 5G etc, set it 4G and test. Set it to 3G and test. You might get some interesting results. But again, how do the bars look? If you're less than full then speed will be impacted.

Helenruch

Yes, I know it is capped at 3mbps. My issue is that I am not even getting that speed or even half of it.

It's technically 5G capped at 3 mbits/s.  

Helenruch

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy A54 5G phone. When I switch it to data only (wifi off), it says 5G in the top corner. Network mode says "5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)"

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Helenruch what phone do you have? brand and model?

try to click Reset All Networks and see if it helps

Try connect at different network mode, 3G , 4G and 5G, run the speed test and compare the result

Repeat the test with different modes I'm different area to check if it is just a local network issue 

Public Mobile's 3G plan is LTE capped in 3Mbps, it is actually more reliable than real 3G.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The advertised maximum speed for the 3G speed plans while connected to the 4G LTE network is 3Mbps. Are you getting solid bars of reception?
Be aware that you're using lots of data to do these tests.
For extra marks, switch your phone down to actual 3G WCDMA UMTS HSPA and try a speed test and see what you get.

Adding - and if your phone can connect to actual 5G try it there too.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Helenruch , when you do a speed test with Wi-Fi on, you are testing your home internet and Wi-Fi network, not the mobile network.  I don't do speed tests on my 3G speed plans but have tried using it from time to time, results are horrible.  The traffic shaping seems rather poor, its has a definite drop off.  I am not trying to upsell you here, the 4G speed plans are worth it in terms of data bucket size and user experience.

Helenruch

I am getting far less than that though. I am getting, at most, 1.33mbps. I don't wish to upgrade but should at least get what I am paying for (which is 3mbps).

@Helenruch 3G plan will only give you up to 3mbs maybe consider the 20GB $34 4G plan will get up to 100mbs 

Helenruch

I know. I did.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Helenruch  You wanna do it with wifi off 

Speed test

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Need Help? Let's chat.