cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving the promotion I signed up for

PMHansen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switched to Public Mobile after being with Fido for 10+ years.  The promotional plan that sold me on switching was 50GB data in both the US and Canadaat 5G (which my new phone supported) for $36 per month. Overall the experience has been less than ideal so far.

The main issue is that I did not receive the Canada and US service that the promotion offered, according to the app and web page. I submitted a ticket and the reply simply confirmed that I do not have the US service feature, one of the prime motivators in switching to Public. I have replied asking if they can correct the issue and include Canada/US service as offered and am awaiting a reply. A quick google search led me to several other posts on these forums with the same issue https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Did-not-have-correct-promotional-plan-act... 

Since switching I have been contacted by Fido who are actively lobbying to get my business back. If Canada/US service is off the table, their offer is nearly identical but cheaper at $29 per month, nearly 20% lower than the $36 with Public. I do not need US service very often. I live near Vancouver and cross the border maybe once or twice every couple of months and have gotten by fine using a GPS for navigation and calling/texting off of Wifi with Skype or WhatsApp. The main reson for switching was a slightly lower price, 5G support for my new phone and the convenience of not having to find a Wifi in the US given that I am attending a couple of concerts in Seattle in September (Green Day!).

I researched Public before switching and anticipated there would be some compromises in a more self serve carrier in return for more data/features for less cost. So far these are some of the issues:

1. Not getting the promotion I was offered as already described.
  2. The 5G speed has never exceeded on a speed test what I was already seeing in 4G, at home in New Westminster (Vancouver suburb) and outdoors in Vancouver itself. Not really worth it given that 5G can potentially consume more battery power https://www.androidauthority.com/does-5g-use-more-battery-3234940/ and honestly I've never found 4G too slow for my needs, it's not like I'm hotspotting to my phone to run Bit Torrent.
  3. I consistently see fewer bars connectivity on Public/Telus than I did on Fido/Rogers. In one room in my apartment a friend told me the call was breaking up, where I always had full bars with Fido. I work at Vancouver Shipyards and connectivity issues are common when you are deep inside a ship (essentially a big steel Faraday cage). Telus network users typically suffer from this worse that Rogers users. Banging away for a signal it can't find eats battery and results in a lot of time on airplane mode to avoid dying before lunch break.
  4. The switching process was somewhat glitchy. Once I received the SIM and activated it I started with a new number from Public so I could run both services on my new and old phone to compare the two carriers. After a day I ported over my original number to Public. However when I sign into this site it still sends the verification code to the original, now deactivated Public phone number. So now I can only access this site by having the verification code sent to email. A minor inconvenience for sure, but an annoying extra step.

In the end I was and am okay with these compromises to get the promotion I signed up for. The offer is pretty common and comes around from time to time https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/02/28/public-mobiles-34-50gb-canada-u-s-plan-is-now-available-to-all-us... . I can see no reason why tech support could not correct the issue. If so, Public will keep my business. Given my history of 10+ years with Fido I am demonstrably a long term, stable customer. If not, changing to Public will have been a bargaining chip that enabled me to get more savings from Fido, with the benefit of better live support and a stronger network.

The ball is in Public's court.

17 REPLIES 17

@BKNS27 wrote:

@PMHansen 

As I noted, the $39 plan expired. My friend also wanted the $39 plan but settle for the $34 plan at lower speed and amount of data.

I warned my friend not to order the SIM from PM and go to Telus/Koodo/Mobile Klinik store and purchase the SIM because the PM promo constantly change. So jump on the deal before it expires.

PM normally change their plans about every month. 

The plans changing while waiting for the SIM card isn't a factor if ordering the plan and SIM card at the same time directly from Public Mobile.  The plan doesn't have to still be offered when the SIM card arrives.

@PMHansen 

As I noted, the $39 plan expired. My friend also wanted the $39 plan but settle for the $34 plan at lower speed and amount of data.

I warned my friend not to order the SIM from PM and go to Telus/Koodo/Mobile Klinik store and purchase the SIM because the PM promo constantly change. So jump on the deal before it expires.

PM normally change their plans about every month. 

PMHansen

Capture.JPG

Well, it looks like I got my answer from the ticket I submitted. I guess the lesson is to screen shot everything. I am guessing that the issue was the offer expired between paying for it and receiving/activating the SIM, so perhaps a  screen shot would not have mattered. I just checked my credit card, and PM did take payment on 8 Aug/24, not when the SIM was activated a week later. Personally, I think an agreement should be locked in when a customer makes a payment, but PM will do business as they see fit, including what is arguably breach of contract. 

I do enjoy haggling my bills down as much as possible, so I am actually quite fine with the outcome. Public showed their colours early enough that Fido was willing to drop my former service from them from $42 to $29 a month, a 30% reduction and yearly savings of $156. I also have a PM SIM now, so I can keep my eyes on future deals and perhaps try Public again in the future with a SIM ready to activate immediately. 

In the mean time, I found a Reddit post that recommended a short term US pay-as-you go SIM/carrier that has plans suitable for short trips as low as $8 USD, a lot cheaper than the $12 per day unlimited US roaming Fido offers https://www.usmobile.com/ 

I appreciate the replies and advice from you all in this forum. I am impressed by how responsive the community is, and look forward to possibly joining you again down the road.

@PMHansen wrote:

If Public is unwilling to honour the promotion they offered, I don't think I would want to reward them by paying them more money and validating a bait-and-switch, increasing my cost to $39. I am old fashioned enough that honouring one's promises matter. I got by using GPS and Wifi calling before and can again. The $29 Fido is offering is nearly 20% lower than my current $36 subscription with Public. 

What bait and switch?  There was never a $36/50GB CAN-US plan.  Public Mobile is not like Fido where you can negotiate your own terms.  You can only get what is available and support will not be able to anything better for you.  If the Fido $29 deal is so good, why not go back?  

Fantastic 

PMHansen

I have done that, the issue is that the Canada/US is what I signed up for. They charged my credit card for that immediately. If the issue is that the offer expired between me paying for it and the SIM ariving in the mail, I believe they should honour the offer made at the time of payment.

PMHansen

I have, the only offer now showing is more money.

PMHansen

True, and I have contacted PM and am awaiting a reply to the ticket. I told Fido to let their offer sit with me a few day and they are calling me back after the weekend. So we'll see what PM's reply is.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@PMHansen , it sounds like you should go back to Fido.  Not that I am exposed to all the plans that have been made available to various customers these days, I don't recall hearing about a $36 50GB CAN-US plan.  There was a $34 version and now a $39 version.  If you chose the wrong plan, you could ask support for goodwill to put you on the plan that you want.  It is going to cost you $39 a month, not $36.  

PMHansen

If Public is unwilling to honour the promotion they offered, I don't think I would want to reward them by paying them more money and validating a bait-and-switch, increasing my cost to $39. I am old fashioned enough that honouring one's promises matter. I got by using GPS and Wifi calling before and can again. The $29 Fido is offering is nearly 20% lower than my current $36 subscription with Public. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@PMHansen  you have made a lot of valid points.

Unfortunately,  Public Mobile marketing team, management or customer service representative does not actively monitor this community and if they do, they will never reach out to you.

We are all customers like yourself,  thank you for sharing your experiences. 

If you really want Public Mobile to respond to you, especially your #4 point to fix the verification cide step; you have to contact them directly by using the chatbot. 

I must say however, that the Canada-US plan was on and off again several times this summer all advertised at $34 depending on your province. 

If you know that you signed up for that plan during the offered timeframe, I would definitely contact PM to review and correct it.

The ball is still in your court.

@PMHansen 

Click on Change Subscription and see what promo you are eligible for.

EB0
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PMHansen 

If you click on Change Subscription, you me be able to see $39 Canada-US plan

IMG_4400.jpeg

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@PMHansen 

The PM $36 Canada/USA plan at 5G with 50gb of data have expired.

The current PM $34 Canada/USA has downgraded to 4G with 15gb of data.

But the best thing to do is to login to your account and under the Subscription tab>Manage Subscription>Change Subscription and there will list all the promo plans you are eligible for.

Promo plans are different to all members.

EB0

@PMHansen 

You have $36 Canada only plan, it’s a self serving, it’s possible that when you signed in the service, you selected the wrong plan by mistake 

PMHansen

This is what is showing on my account page. Same data and price as the promotion I was offered, minus the Canada/US service.

Capture.JPG

EB0

@PMHansen

what is your current plan? 
you may be able to change the plan yourself to Canada-US 50 GB for $39 by logging in your account, and change subscription, remember to select on renewal data

it’s your decision if you would like to stay with PM or port back to your previous provider 

Need Help? Let's chat.