cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting number from virgin prepaid

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I'm helping a friend port their number from virgin prepaid. Virgin says phone number is account number. Other than account holders name and phone number what else can we supply to be able to successfully port the phone number? Pm SIM is already active.

43 REPLIES 43

Once the virgin site was back up and running I changed the number. Porting happened almost right away as far as I could tell with the phone number changing in the account usage within 5 minutes. The boy was texting at 2am! Sent a couple of texts to ask them to switch sim cards but I think the boy didn't want them to know he was up way too late. Didn't call to check if it was complete because of the time but called in the morning and the vm went to the boys so I know it is complete and dad just has to change the vm message. Used name on account, pin number and a contact number (the mom) to do the porting. Success!

@LovesToPM wrote:

@darlicious Let us know how it goes with the port.

To change your solution, go on the choosen solution post. Click on the 3 dots at upper right. Select "not the solution". Then go ahead and assign the new solution.

@LovesToPM  Aha! Insert  "lightbulb" here. Thank you!

@Master2000 wrote:

I transfer 2 Virgin Prepaid to Public Mobile.
With a Prepaid Virgin mobile account there is no account number.

Prepaid Virgin is different than regular account.

Just follow what I wrote.

I wonder if it has changed since Bell took over Virgin Mobile because when I used to be with them, a few years ago, I definitely had an account no. (still have a copy of my plan with account #), and yes it was prepaid.

@darlicious Let us know how it goes with the port.

To change your solution, go on the choosen solution post. Click on the 3 dots at upper right. Select "not the solution". Then go ahead and assign the new solution.

@Master2000 wrote:

You assign the solution to LovesToPM, where did you found the account number for Virgin prepaid?

@Master2000  if you noticed that was an accident I meant to assign it to you. But I have discovered no one has asked how to reassign a solution when accidently assigned. All I could do was tag @mimmo  an oracle of my mistake in hopes they could fix it (They have the power!) As far as I could tell and I did a grid search of the virgin account it is not listed anywhere on there. So I did follow your advice name, alternate phone number and name on account. Let's hope for an oracle intervention.

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You assign the solution to LovesToPM, where did you found the account number for Virgin prepaid?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cellphoneuser1  Oops no offence I meant to assign the solution to @Master2000 . Did you know that question has never been asked? I know oracles can do it..... @mimmo ?

But I can agree @cellphoneuser1  I was over thinking it.

Edit: Goodness what's wrong with me...the solution belongs to @Master2000  all day and  @cellphoneuser1 and @LovesToPM  are runners up! All helped but you had it right @Master2000 .

@Master2000 wrote:

It may try to reach Virgin mobile but they are now in planned maintenance.

@Master2000  Oooooooohhhh.....i get it I have to wait either way looking up the account or porting the number . The virgin is down and out....i guess she'll be a born again. Her reputation has certainly been sullied tonight. I knew she was a dirty girl. She hasn't been quite right since that rogue...Richard Branson left her.........

@Master2000 wrote:

When I did porting, Public mobile account was already working with new (temporary) phone number.

@Master2000  Same this time...actually the son is switching accounts with the dad. So the number has been active for almost a month that the ported number will take over. The son is getting the account I activated last night.

Master2000

It may try to reach Virgin mobile but they are now in planned maintenance.

Master2000

When I did porting, Public mobile account was already working with new (temporary) phone number.

@cellphoneuser1  @Master2000  Ok this is the first time I've had this much trouble porting a number. Got the "oops looks like something went wrong" message when checking number.  logged out then in again same result. Have clear browser, in incognito mode, on Firefox....does lock out occur here as well?

@darlicious wrote:

@Master2000  I'm waiting to find out if it's the spouses number. Just checked the help articles it says you need alternate number if you don't have account # plus pin # or IMEI#

Then the help pages are wrong. Alternate number isn't related to the Public account or the old carrier's account. You always have to put an alternate number for porting. You can't port at all without one of old carrier's account number, PIN, or IMEI.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@darlicious You're overthinking it. You could put Pizza Pizza's phone number for alternate number and it wouldn't matter.

@cellphoneuser1  ok then I should just go for it without account #

Master2000

I put my Virgin Mobile PIN at PIN question.

Like I said, in my Virgin mobile self-service account, I had two number to contact me, I put the first one for "Alternate phone number" question.

@Master2000  I'm waiting to find out if it's the spouses number. Just checked the help articles it says you need alternate number if you don't have account # plus pin # or IMEI#

@darlicious You're overthinking it. You could put Pizza Pizza's phone number for alternate number and it wouldn't matter.

Master2000

In my Virgin mobile account I had two number to contact me, I put the first one for "Alternate phone number".

@darlicious wrote:

@trust me I'm getting more and more tempted...are you sure not to use IMEI#?

Porting can be done with IMEI. If you use the account number, skip IMEI and PIN. If you can't use account number, use the IMEI.

Master2000

I put nothing at IMEI question

@Master2000 wrote:

I did everything without contacting Virgin or Public Mobile.
All from Public Mobile self-service account.

@trust me I'm getting more and more tempted...are you sure not to use IMEI#?

@Master2000 wrote:

@darlicious  a écrit :

Hmmmm...not sure what the alternate number is...i skimmed over the profile page. I have ICCID # IMEI # PIN # PH #

I think it was in contact information “phone number” of Virgin account.

Alternate number can be anything you want to enter. It has nothing to do with Virgin. It's only a number for Public to call you if there's a problem.

Master2000

I did everything without contacting Virgin or Public Mobile.
All from Public Mobile self-service account.

Master2000

@darlicious  a écrit :

Hmmmm...not sure what the alternate number is...i skimmed over the profile page. I have ICCID # IMEI # PIN # PH #

I think it was in contact information “phone number” of Virgin account.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

It's a phone number for Public Mobile to contact you, nothing more.

@cellphoneuser1  Oh the one for pm yes.

@darlicious wrote:

It's a phone number for Public Mobile to contact you, nothing more.

@mimmo wrote:

if virgins says the tel number is teh account number then i would believe them.

probably best not to use pin or IMEI  for porting.  just mkae sure virgin account is active.

@mimmo  I have used the IMEI # three times now when porting in numbers for people when I have been missing one of the other required fields but I've always had the account #.

@Master2000 wrote:

Old account number: Phone number to be transfer without dash like 1112223333
ESN, IMEI, MEID number: Leave empty
PIN: PIN used to login in the Virgin self-service account.
Alternate phone number: First contact number in Virgin mobile self-service account.
After 2 to 5 hours, you will receive a text message on your phone indicating transfer has been completed.
In my case during next 24 hours some of my friends where getting "The number you have reached is not in service please check the number and try again."

Just wait.

@LovesToPM  Ok that's not going to work...now it's down for maintenance  for the second time tonight. I wrote down every number I could find...earlier.

@Master2000 wrote:

I did the transfer last Sunday.

Did the transfer work the same day? Without intervention?

Need Help? Let's chat.