cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port protection

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does PM still not have port protection? I read posts where they said they were going to get it by end of april and now it's july. Also what happened to the PM lab forum where you suggest changes. I want them to implement a 2fa email protection for porting where it will email you a code that you will have to enter in to authorize a port.

12 REPLIES 12

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I had to call koodo to port here. I don't see why they couldn't even need us to call the telus port phone number to confirm ourselves as telus owns PM (and koodo). That way it's still real time too in case anyone is in a rush

@LovesToPM wrote:

Food for thought: There is one issue I can see with the suggestions already made.

If someone wants to port out, but has lost their phone or their SIM card isn't working, they will need an alternate contact method to confirm a port request. Perhaps it can be confirmed by email, but now it looks like it won't be so easy for PM to automate this transfer out procedure.

@LovesToPM I don't see this as an issue. If this is the case they would be told by the new company that the port failed and they need to contact PM. They would have to come here, contact the moderators and actually prove that they are the owners and are authorized to do the port. A small inconvenience when traded off against the good it will do.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Food for thought: There is one issue I can see with the suggestions already made.

If someone wants to port out, but has lost their phone or their SIM card isn't working, they will need an alternate contact method to confirm a port request. Perhaps it can be confirmed by email, but now it looks like it won't be so easy for PM to automate this transfer out procedure.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@popping even my shorter shifts, if I start work at 4, get a text at 405 and I'm not able to see it until 7 or 730, too late by then! 

It should be confirming if you *do* want a port, rather than only trying to stop it if you don't and that's if you're in time. No response = no port. Anyone who is purposely porting is on their phone at that time... 

I sent the following to the mods who said that it was a good idea lol and that they would forward it to management;

2. Port protection. At least once, maybe twice I have seen discussions here about fraudulent ports. They are successful because the only protection against it is a text message sent essentially saying, "...if you did not authorize this please respond / contact us immediately" (or words to that effect). Doesn't work very well if my phone is not near me or it's off or I'm asleep etc etc etc. This is like the old "Negative Option Billing" one of the cable companies came up with years ago (and subsequently cancelled due to public uproar). They introduced new channels and put the onus on the customer to contact them to say they did not want them, otherwise they were charged for them. Maybe you should reverse the messaging and force the account / number holder to reply if they want to port the number. IE: "We have received a request to allow your number to be ported to a different provider. If you authorized this port request please reply to this message within 24 hours. If you did not authorize/request this port, do nothing and your service will stay with us and we will investigate the unauthorized request."

@popping wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@Shutdown 

This is the update PM response for port protection:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

People are not attached to their phone 24/7.  For certain type of work, people cannot check their phone while on duty.  PM should wait 24 hours for SMS confirmation with account PIN# before releasing phone number.

Just my 2 cents.

I completely agree with you guys.  Not enough of a response to protect our accounts.  Something needs to be done further.  

Even the trick of changing the name in your self service account can be bypassed if somebody gets access to the self service account.  Need strong password protection of both your primary email account and your PM self service account.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunkman wrote:

@Shutdown 

People are not attached to their phone 24/7.  For certain type of work, people cannot check their phone while on duty.  PM should wait 24 hours for SMS confirmation with account PIN# before releasing phone number.

Just my 2 cents.

@Dunkman wrote:

@Shutdown 

I should add that this is not really port protection.  This is a race between customer response and how long it takes a port to complete.  There is between 30 minutes to 2 hours to take action.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Shutdown wrote:

Does PM still not have port protection? I read posts where they said they were going to get it by end of april and now it's july. Also what happened to the PM lab forum where you suggest changes. I want them to implement a 2fa email protection for porting where it will email you a code that you will have to enter in to authorize a port.

@Shutdown   PM is working on the port protection but nothing has been announced to date as to a fix.  As to the PM lab forum, I believe that was discontinued a while ago, perhaps a couple of years ago.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Nope still none @Shutdown . The best way to protect yourself is changing your name on your self service account. Any name will do i.e. Bugs Bunny. Contact the moderators and ask them about it. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is a third tier provider so I doubt they will implement it.

Need Help? Let's chat.