cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Galaxy phone

djtrumpler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to buy a new S22 Plus phone at Walmart, but was told I can't stay with Public Mobile, have to switch provider to Telus or Koodo.  Is there a way to get around this?  Definitely want new, not reconditioned phone.

11 REPLIES 11

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@treefrog brings up a good point.  When you remove the old SIM, see if the cut out for nano sim is already there and you can just push out the nano SIM from the micro SIM.  The SIM's now are cut for all 3 standards and you just push out the size you need.  I don't know if nano was popular back in 2015 so you can just push it out.  Ideally that would be the case!  Good luck.

@djtrumpler check again, I just read something yesterday that the battery is amazing on s23

https://www.sammobile.com/opinion/galaxy-s23-plus-battery-similarly-amazing-as-galaxy-s23-ultra/

djtrumpler

Thanks for your helpful comments!  My Galaxy Core was bought new in Aug 2015.  The user manual pdf file states that it's a microSIM card, but mentions nothing about being tri-cut, so I don't know.  I'm planning to visit a Telus store in hope of getting a S22+ or S22, and probably will have to go on their plan.  Researching S23 says the battery isn't great.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@djtrumpler 

Samsung has the S22 on sale for $849 but it looks like the S22+ is out of stock.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-s22/

Swiftrinics has the international version S22+ on sale for $1299 and the S23+ for $1279. I'm not sure why the S23+ is cheaper than the S22+ though?

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/samsung-galaxy-s23-dual-sim-international-ve...

Is your sim card that old that it is not a tri-cut sim card?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@djtrumpler Yes, if you want to take advantages of the "special" price, you need to have a contract with on of those provider

If you are willing to pay full price, then you can get it from most mobiles shops, although the sales would still want to sell you the plan as they will make more money from it.  Or you can consider buying it from Samsung.ca directly.   Samsung might still be running to trade-in offers, so check it out

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@djtrumpler wrote:

Can't I just transfer the SIM from my current Galaxy Core phone?  I'm still using it (on PM) but it's 8 years old and too slow.

You will need a new SIM or get a SIM cutter to cut the Core phone SIM to the right size for the S22 Plus.  The Core uses a micro SIM while the S22 Plus uses a nano SIM.

See this for difference in SIM sizes.

SIM card sizes: Standard, Micro and Nano explained (4g.co.uk)

@djtrumpler 

Yes you can. I thought you also need a new SIM too.

Go to retailers and ask if they sell unlocked phones.

Walmart want you to be on a plan with the phone and will not sell unlocked phones.

djtrumpler

Can't I just transfer the SIM from my current Galaxy Core phone?  I'm still using it (on PM) but it's 8 years old and too slow.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@djtrumpler I think Walmart doesn't sell unlocked phones without plans.  If you just want to buy a phone you could buy phone direct from Samsung.  

Buy Galaxy S22 | S22+ | Price & Deals | Samsung Canada

Best Buy

Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus Unlocked Phones & Plans | Best Buy Canada

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@djtrumpler 

Unfortunately, they won’t sell you an unlocked Samsung phone and they want to upsell you.

Try a Telus/Koodo store, they will also have PM SIMs for you. They might even throw the SIM in for free.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That's ridiculous,  @djtrumpler 

Tell them you want to purchase the phone outright.

If the price is within your range, go for it. They may have priced it for specific plans under Telus or koodo.

Need Help? Let's chat.