cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration issues

daveismissing
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was testing public mobile's service using a new number and the new phone I was eventually going to use long term. Being satisfied I was going to fire up a new account on public mobile however they have increased the prices meantime ( equates to a 10% increase on the modest plan of interest).

Questions: Now the only option available is to make a number change on my test plan and port the other phone's number over to this account and sim? I will keep the existing price of my "test number"? This will take both phones out of service for the interval? Purchased sim goes unused? 

Thanks, Dave

5 REPLIES 5

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@daveismissing Hi Dave, according to questions, yes you can port another number to your test plan and you'll keep the existing price of your test plan. You don't need to buy a new sim card if another phone number you don't want to use anymore. Is another number with PM as well? It'll have service until the port is completed. Also, here is the link for more info & instructions about porting number if you need https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Transferring-your-number-to-Public-Mo...

closng

@daveismissing wrote:

I was testing public mobile's service using a new number and the new phone I was eventually going to use long term. Being satisfied I was going to fire up a new account on public mobile however they have increased the prices meantime ( equates to a 10% increase on the modest plan of interest).

Questions: Now the only option available is to make a number change on my test plan and port the other phone's number over to this account and sim? I will keep the existing price of my "test number"? This will take both phones out of service for the interval? Purchased sim goes unused? 

Thanks, Dave

As others above have mentioned, there shouldn't be any downtime as your old number will work all the way up until the point of completion of the porting to Public Mobile, in which, you can start using once completed. This process can be as quick as 15 mins, up to a few hours. 

Keep in mind that even if you opened a new account, you would still have to go through the porting process, so the porting aspect still does not change.

Happy to know you're satisfied with Public Mobile's offerings and welcome aboard!

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, you’d want to port your number to your existing account. If you want a secondary account with a new number you can always use that extra sim to do that at a later date. 

Don’t cancel your existing provider as it will automatically cancel when the port is complete. It’s usually pretty quick. You will still be able to use your old phone until then and your PM phone will work for outgoing calls but might not work for incoming until the port completes. Again, usually pretty quickly. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

ports can take upto a coupe hours depending on what provider.   but make sure you have your old account number and name exatly as on the bill else the port will fail.  your old phone will work while the port is in progress. 

what plan went up by 10%I dont recall price changes in a while

GreatCanadian

If I am understanding you correctly, the "old" number and service should remain as is until the port is complete. I am assuming that your "old" number is on an active account with a different provider. If so, you should be able to use that SIM until the port complets. For the half dozen ports that I've done, it took about a minute each.

GC

Need Help? Let's chat.