cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if me and my husband want family plan public cell we want you to start family plans{two can share

hinamirza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i like to suggest public should start family plans, like two can share , couple plan mom and kid plan like so

10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mimmowrote:

I agree with @Korth determine your  desired share plan then calculate it's costs. Then compare to pM plans and see which one comes out on top.  Last time I did the calculations family plans worked out cheaper on lines 3 or 4

That was more or less my conclusion as well.  I compared family plans from multiple carriers, in every case they broke even around 4 users, would "save" you money with 5+ users, and cost much more than two discrete single-user plans.  But that was a couple years ago, I'm sure the "family" plans and prices have changed alongside the "individual" plans and prices.

It would probably take less than 20-30 minutes to go through each of the websites, view all the relevant plans, and just eliminate them from highest-to-lowest priced until only the best option(s) remain.  I would never waste time driving around or walking through malls to shop from kiosk to kiosk, especially since I just don't trust sales reps to give me all the information I need to properly compare their offerings vs their competitors.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I agree with @Korth determine your  desired share plan then calculate it's costs. Then compare to pM plans and see which one comes out on top.  Last time I did the calculations family plans worked out cheaper on lines 3 or 4

Hi. Unfortunately, Right now, Public currently DOESN'T have Family Sharing Plans.

Hopefully Public will eventually Cover these as This a Popular Option

Sometimes "share" plans are a gimmick.  Sure, the carriers give you a so-called "discount" for adding more lines so that it makes the price less per phone number, but you don't get good pricing until you add 4 or 5 lines.  The carriers can afford to let you add more lines at a minimum price when the base price of the share is so ridiculous that Canadian carriers have been called out many times for their high prices.

I would much rather Public Mobile offer us the best possible pricing that they are willing to do, regardless of how many lines we want to have.

@hinamirza

Short answer is that PM simply doesn't offer any sorts of shared-/linked-plan accounts.

Two people (with two phones) would need two accounts (with two bills) on PM.

Some of the other carriers do offer sharing or family plans.  But these tend to be costly.

I'd say the best option is to compare your options, one shared plan at Telus vs two individual plans at PM, for example.  I haven't done such a comparison in a while, but I remember it only really paying off for families, not a great way to go for just two linked users.

Don't forget that (regardless of which carrier you choose) one of the two plans can always use the other to gain a referral bonus/reward.  And two individual plans can be asymmetrical if you and your husband require different quantities of talk, text, and data - perhaps only one of your phones needs Canada-wide calling or massive data or whatever, no need to pay for same service on both if half of it goes unused.  And with PM two plans can score two AutoPay/Loyalty Rewards which further discounts their combined cost.

@Ludditewrote:

I was just at a restaurant that only charges $3 for that empty plate. Well not reaaly empty as it included the veggies; we were only sharing the 10 oz piece of meat! Robot LOL

Ah, the sharing costs were built into the meal already.  Brilliant idea. 

I was just at a restaurant that only charges $3 for that empty plate. Well not reaaly empty as it included the veggies; we were only sharing the 10 oz piece of meat! Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The structure of this service makes it impossible to share anyting.  Each account contains one line.  All accounts are separate and distinct from each other. 

TBH, sharing is not really cost effective for the consumer.  Data should not be so expensive that it needs to be shared.  If it is, keep searching for a more cost effective brand.  It is like going to a restaurant, buying one meal and paying $10 for an empty plate to share with a partner.  The better solution is to find a different establishment that is more affordable so that sharing is not required.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile doesn't offer shared plans.

Not sure what you are paying for your shared plan right now and what is included in it. Some people coming from a shared plan with one of the main carriers report that they are paying less and getting more data with Public Mobile. You can also tailor each plan to the according person's needs. 

Say person A is mainly calling to another province but does not use more than 100MB data per month, person B is calling mainly locally and uses 3.5GB of data per month, person C is using data only, 5.5GB per month

Plan A: Canada wide talk and text $37, add a non-expiring 1GB data add-on for $30

Plan B: Province wilde talk and text, 4GB (LTE light 3G speeds), $47, use a VOIP app for out of province calls

Plan C: 6GB (LTE light 3G speeds), $50, use a VOIP app for calls and text if needed

Prices are for 30day plans and before any rewards: You'd $2 off on each plan for enabling auto pay.

There is also the referral rewards program. Say you sign up for plan A first and use that number for referring plan B, then use number B for referring plan C. This scenario, combined with auto pay, would get your total monthly cost to $35 + $44 + $47 = $126 + tax (add proportional use of the $30 for the 1GB add-on to plan A)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hinamirza, this has been brought up many times before and that isn't the direction that PM was willing to take then and I don't think they will change their mind on this but you do never know there have been some weird choices made lately lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.