cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage - Number Expiring

whoisdoug
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just ported my number today from one carrier to PM. Everything is fine, but I just got a notification on my phone saying "This number is registered to your Apple ID, but is not associated with this phone. You can keep using the number for iMessage and Facetime until it expires" and it says it expires in 29 days. I call PM, and the person suggested I turn iMessage off, turn off my phone, turn it on again, and turn on iMessage, then it will be fine, but I still have the notification and message saying it's going to expire in 29 days.

18 REPLIES 18

francistind

did you try to remove your number from imessage and then reboot ? (see my picture)

Screen Shot 2023-09-04 at 13.56.59.png

pumama
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, that unfortunately did not fix it 😞 

Strange issue when switching to esim.

HI @pumama 

check t Settings > Phone > My Number.   

you can try to  remove the number there , reboot, go back and put the correct one

francistind

so i should add that  some user using ONLY physical sim fixed the problem in taking off their physical sim from their iphone, reinserted it in and then reboot the iphone and the message was gone. but it seem to only work with people using ONLY physical sim.

francistind

hi ! here's my complete setup and all the steps i've tried :

iphone 14 pro under iOS 16.5
public mobile 30g plan (activated last week)
using public mobile eSIM (was with Fido with a physical sim before)
phone number transfer from Fido to Public Mobile (this took kind of a long time...)

i did all the setup steps required by the public mobile ios app to install and activate the new esim.
it took almost half a day to activated with an error from the esim telling that it was not able to activate. but
finally all was fine after half a day or so i was able to activate it.

but after 24hrs i got the iMESSAGE & Facetime error saying the my number was no longer registered with my iphone. tried to reboot, reset, logout & login my apple ID account. nothing worked.

finaly tried these steps suggested in an Apple forum :
* 1st check that under general / infos or cellular that the phone number associated with your current iphone using public mobile is the right one !

if it's the right now :
- turn off iMessage & Facetime
- unregister your number from this iphone (see the option under the message at the top in iMessage telling you that your number is not registed with this iphone). i was afraid 1st but this is the way to do it, don't worrym it worked for a lot of users and i've done it 2 times (also with another family member's iphone)
- REBOOT iphone (turn off then on)
- return in to the iMessage options, then you should see an option to associate / register your current phone number with iMessage and check that facetime is also registered with your phone number

now it the error message should be totaly gone for good and everything should be working perfectly ! it's been more than 1 week that i've done it and everything's working perfectly.

if you need more infos / help just reply here or PM me ! good luck !

pumama
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, can I ask which procedure did you follow to fix this? Just noticed the same thing and n my iPhone that was ported to PM yesterday on esim, I was previously on physical sim. I tried a few things listed below but none has worked.

whoisdoug

Hey, sorry for the late reply, as you saw above I had the same thing, bit the bullet and just went through the prompts and it worked, I was worried too but it all worked out. I guess I was lucky.

francistind

hi ! thanx for the help, you are right, it's working. i was little bit afraid because other Apple users reported that this in fact made thing worst for them but they were using physical sim. so it seem your suggestion is the right way for esim user. i will create a new post in the PM forum to help guide users who are a little but lost like myself because the information is not very clear. but not it is, thank you !

@francistind wrote:

i was about to try it but there's a warning msg poping up saying : "this number will no longer be used for iMessage and FaceTime on any or your devices. to use this number again, SET UP A WORKING SIM.

so no, perhaps it's not the best way. i will wait for PM support's reply 1st. I see a lots of these problem on Apple's Forum and it's not clear what the good solution is.
(i'm using PM esim by the way, no physical sim)

HI @francistind 

many did that and no problem

and this is an iPhone issue and not PM's, agent won't be able to provide you much help. 

If you are really worry, you should in fact open ticket at Apple Community or bring your iPhone to an Apple store for support 

francistind

i was about to try it but there's a warning msg poping up saying : "this number will no longer be used for iMessage and FaceTime on any or your devices. to use this number again, SET UP A WORKING SIM.

so no, perhaps it's not the best way. i will wait for PM support's reply 1st. I see a lots of these problem on Apple's Forum and it's not clear what the good solution is.
(i'm using PM esim by the way, no physical sim)

@francistind 

what have you checked and done so far?

The telephone number associated with iMessage and FaceTime has to be one that is active on the device, and should mirror the number you see at Settings > Phone > My Number.

you can remove the phone number first, reboot and then add it back after.  Please try

francistind

same problme here, did you finaly find a solution ?

whoisdoug

I've tried, with no success. 

whoisdoug

I've started it multiple times, I was told to turn off iMessage, turn off my phone, turn it on again, and then turn iMessage back on and it would be fine, but nothing changed. 

whoisdoug

I had already ported it in.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@whoisdoug - have you restarted your phone yet? Or you can try to perform a reset of the device's network settings.

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should be able to de-register the number. Google it. 

Did you take a new number? Or will you port it in? 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @whoisdoug 

Confirm the phone number on our iPhone is populated correctly

Settings > Phone > My Number.

then

• Go to Settings/iMessage/Send & Receive, tap on your Apple ID and sign out.
  • Sign in using your Apple ID.
  • Go to Settings/FaceTime, tap on your Apple ID, and sign out.
  • Sign in using your Apple ID.
Need Help? Let's chat.