cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downgrading subscription

JenniS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I would like to downgrade my subscription to a very basic plan advertised on "shop" for plans page.  I don't use even  1GB and I'm currently paying for 20GB.  When I go to my account and click on "change my subscription" it only offers me a few plans that are similar.  It doesn't show me the lesser plans that are available from PM.

28 REPLIES 28

Chanah_again
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a prepaid account with them recently and I wasn't charged an activation fee.

@Chanah_again I'm not sure what Freedom charges for a sim, but I do know they have a $45 activation fee. Prepaid is the way to go if you're just looking for a quick in and out transaction.

Chanah_again
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you really want to leave and come back for a better plan here, the cheapest I know of is Freedom's 5$ plan. But you'd probably need to buy a SIM as well, those are usually 10$.

Or just look at other providers generally for something more permanent instead of porting back.

Your numbers don't surprise me. It's clear that the strategy has shifted. The noisy population on these forums likely isn't representative of the bigger picture.

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DennyCrane 

you are correct , Big 3 like to hide those numbers and Telus has been doing the best job out of all.  But that's what stock analysts do.   

The industry really don't care PM itself to be honest, but the numbers focus on Koodo and Telus help  (the remaining of the pie would be PM's).  And also, Community here has hints everywhere

That's great if true. Where did you get these numbers though? I've never known the Big 3 to break down their numbers by brand (I've only ever seen the numbers of all their brands reported in aggregate).

Community_QA_

@computergeek541 wrote:

I beleive that the amount of existing customers that Public Mobile has lost since converting old rewards customers to be hovering at approximately 20% of those customers.   

the 20% lost from the pool of legacy customers does not hurt PM.  PM is on pace for a record year

2024 new subscriptions is 54% better than 2023.  2023 has around 2400 new subscriptions per month while 2024 is around 3800.  And In just four weeks, PM will achieve as many new subscriptions as they did throughout the entire year of 2023.(For comparison, PM has only around 1400 new subscriptions per month back in 2022 and 2021)

And not just the subscription number, but also the revenue and profit.  Those who are gone are mostly those paying only $8/month (after discount). Those new customers are mostly on the $34 plan (no real discount, just points).  An upgrade of $26 difference.  The average plan per subscription has gone up from an average of $19 to $27 (or $25 after you factor in points and also, some simply won't redeem the points)

This proves that Telus made a the smart decision at the right time.  Their aggressive new plans successfully attract more new subscriptions, which offset the high cancellations from ending the legacy rewards.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I have mentioned this before, the new approach at Public Mobile is to put the effort into competing on plan price alone without the aid of rewards.  So, you have to ask yourself, is price alone still a good value proposition.  If not, move on.  With respect to the 20% that you think left due to lost rewards, I would say for the most part the move amounted to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.  Sure the $15 customers saw a massive net cost increase.  However, what competing brand offers a basic plan at $8/month?  As for the rest of us on more costly plans, it is pretty much a draw.  The $25/1GB customer could easily have slotted into a $19/1GB or $57/9GB/90 day plan.  You know why a lot of customer are whining in the community?  They are the ones that have stayed because they know the brand still offers value but are unhappy because of the rug pull.  

Ironically, I believe that Public Mobile plan's have become astronomically better over the years.   It's at the lower price points that Public Mobile is likely struggling to keep customers happy.  Unfortunately, if we examine the old $10 plan, someone automatically being able to get that plan for $3 (or less) after 5 years was just bad for businesss.

Exactly!  One could say the customers on the $15 plan and especially the $13 plan spoiled the party for all of us.  This discussion is going to get divisive, so I will just end it here.  

@DennyCrane wrote:

💯 

The lower spend plans got hurt the most with the recent changes. Those willing to spend a bit more get far more for far less than they did a year ago. And with the new price strategy where the low end is only available to new customers, it's clear Public Mobile is okay losing some lower ARPU clients while gaining higher ones.

The US roaming plan are great value, even with the recent changes to the lineup.

New customers can still get the $15 plan.  As for not allowing existing customers to downgrade to lower cost plans, I am still scratching my head on this one to fully understand the cost/benefit of taking such a stance.  It will force the hand of those who really need this flexibility.  Customers should do what they gotta do.  

@computergeek541 Yup. And it makes sense. If I was running Public Mobile I'd rather have 2x $35 customers than 3x $15 customers.

💯 

The lower spend plans got hurt the most with the recent changes. Those willing to spend a bit more get far more for far less than they did a year ago. And with the new price strategy where the low end is only available to new customers, it's clear Public Mobile is okay losing some lower ARPU clients while gaining higher ones.

The US roaming plan are great value, even with the recent changes to the lineup.

@will13am wrote:

I have mentioned this before, the new approach at Public Mobile is to put the effort into competing on plan price alone without the aid of rewards.  So, you have to ask yourself, is price alone still a good value proposition.  If not, move on.  With respect to the 20% that you think left due to lost rewards, I would say for the most part the move amounted to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.  Sure the $15 customers saw a massive net cost increase.  However, what competing brand offers a basic plan at $8/month?  As for the rest of us on more costly plans, it is pretty much a draw.  The $25/1GB customer could easily have slotted into a $19/1GB or $57/9GB/90 day plan.  You know why a lot of customer are whining in the community?  They are the ones that have stayed because they know the brand still offers value but are unhappy because of the rug pull.  

Ironically, I believe that Public Mobile plan's have become astronomically better over the years.   It's at the lower price points that Public Mobile is likely struggling to keep customers happy.  Unfortunately, if we examine the old $10 plan, someone automatically being able to get that plan for $3 (or less) after 5 years was just bad for businesss.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

Port your number our to Lucky mobile on their cheapest plan. Then port back to Public Mobile as a new customer.

Dumb question, if you are able to get a suitable and cheaper plan from a competing brand, what is the impetus to come back?  

I beleive that the amount of existing customers that Public Mobile has lost since converting old rewards customers to be hovering at approximately 20% of those customers.   These aren't official numbers, but it's about that for accounts that I have looked in.  As for referring new customers, there's no longer any reason for customers to remain customers for longer periods of time.  In many ways, this makes referrals worth much less.   Many customers don't participate in Community and when it comes to anniversary rewards and 5% points back, those points amount are so small that it will take most customers a considerable amount of time to accumulate any points amount that can be redeemed.   Unfortunately, I feel that Public Mobile has lost its competive advantage.  The old rewards program was THE reason to be a Public Mobile customer.  It's not that I believe that the offerings are all that bad at Public Mobile, but what I'm saying is this:  What reason is there now to choose Public Mobile over the others?

@slusagm They don't typically waive activation fees, no. 

@DennyCrane wrote:

Good point. However, most postpaid providers im aware of will charge activation fees which can reach upwards of $50, which would be far more than just eating the cost of a basic $15 prepaid plan.

Thus I have always advocated to others in the community to be an astute shopper and do what is best for themselves.  Shopping is the one time where being greedy is never a bad thing.  I came to this service looking for better value and have stayed because they continue to satisfy this thesis.  No brand is everything to everyone.  When you are with the wrong service provider, it is like wearing a size 6 shoe on a size 8 foot.  There is nothing wrong with the shoe, it is just the wrong size.  

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

but other still charge activation fees?? I thought most store agents out there would waive it for you.  If it is such case, PM still has an edge over those postpaid 

@will13am wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

Port your number our to Lucky mobile on their cheapest plan. Then port back to Public Mobile as a new customer.

Dumb question, if you are able to get a suitable and cheaper plan from a competing brand, what is the impetus to come back?  

I beleive that the amount of existing customers that Public Mobile has lost since converting old rewards customers to be hovering at approximately 20% of those customers.   These aren't official numbers, but it's about that for accounts that I have looked in.  As for referring new customers, there's no longer any reason for customers to remain customers for longer periods of time.  In many ways, this makes referrals worth much less.   Many customers don't participate in Community and when it comes to anniversary rewards and 5% points back, those points amount are so small that it will take most customers a considerable amount of time to accumulate any points amount that can be redeemed.   Unfortunately, I feel that Public Mobile has lost its competive advantage.  The old rewards program was THE reason to be a Public Mobile customer.  It's not that I believe that the offerings are all that bad at Public Mobile, but what I'm saying is this:  What reason is there now to choose Public Mobile over the others?

Good point. However, most postpaid providers im aware of will charge activation fees which can reach upwards of $50, which would be far more than just eating the cost of a basic $15 prepaid plan.

slusagm

if you need to do that, port to a postpaid and not prepaid service provider.

Prepaid won't refund.  Postpaid will refund you the days left for the month, so you only pay for 1 or 2 days in this case 

Fair point. If there are better options out there, go and don't come back.

On that note I just looked up Lucky's current offerings, and it seems they've improved significantly. There was a time not so long ago that their offers paled in comparison (if you wanted any meaningful amount of data).

@DennyCrane wrote:

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JenniS 

I downgraded to the $23 plan with 6gb but I missed the $19 plan with 1gb.

Login on the PM app then under Subscription tab>Manage Subscription>Change Subscription and it would list plans you are eligible for. It seems that plans are different for each members.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@JenniS  so it seems I need to cancel my subscription and then subscribe again to the new low plan?

You could do that if you don't care about keeping your current phone number.  You would likely be safest to use a different email address when setting up the new account with the new phone number.

JenniS

Thank you EBO for your reply.   

JenniS

so it seems I need to cancel my subscription and then subscribe again to the new low plan?

eddieO

@JenniS unfortunately PM has made it so that those lower priced plans are only for new customers to get them in the door. When you go into your PM app and go into Manage Subscriptions that's where you will see what plans are available to you. It seems to be specially tailored from customer to customer based on what their current plan is. So, if you want one of the cheapest priced plans the only way is to create a new account, new number new email or port out to another company and then come back which seems like a lot of work

EB0

@JenniS 

You can only change subscription to whatever available on your account 

most customers can’t downgrade their plans

Need Help? Let's chat.