cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad connectivity and call quality since porting from Koodo

mc_hammered
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported over to PM from Koodo 2 months ago and since they are both on the Telus network, I assumed the service would be the same (except for the loss of the call control feature).

Unfortunately this is not the case, as my iphone 8 sometimes takes a while to lock into Public Mobile as the serivce provider and shows "no signal". This morning I was locked to Freedom for an hour and had really bad service. This was never an issue when on Koodo.

I just made a call and the person at the other end kept saying I was cutting out. This issue has also happened a few times, again never when I was on Koodo. I notice that my phone shows it drops from LTE to 3G after I make a voice call too.

Are there any suggestions as to what is happening as all I have done is activate a new SIM for the PM 5G plan and using it on my older 4G iphone 8 and updated the APN to isp.mb.com. Everything else is the same on my phone as when I was on Koodo.

TIA for any information.

10 REPLIES 10

mc_hammered

Well after following all the troubleshooting steps suggested by the CSR, there is no change or resolution to this issue. Data quality is fine but voice calls are poor.

As I stated, I assumed Koodo and PM would have similar voice & data service quality levels since they are both Telus subsidiaries, but from this experience I realize this isn't true. Saving a few $$$ isn't worth it for crappy voice call quality.

I have 3 days before the PM plan renews, so I'll just cancel and port back to Koodo.

Thanks everyone for your help.

mc_hammered

VoLTE was activated as I had it setup when on Koodo.

There is a toggle to choose LTE or 3G for voice and data, but not selectively for voice or data.

I am in conversation with a CSR to figure out what the issue is.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

It does sound as though VoLTE is not working or enabled since the phone is dropping to 3G on voice calls.  Most iPhones don't have a toggle for VoLTE, maybe this needs to be looked at by customer service if setting the phone manually to Public Mobile doesn't seem to help since that iPhone should have it?

@sheytoon 

yes, iPhone 8 and above for VoLTE
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

but a mystery with PM  is why the phone tried to pick Freedom instead of PM

Also, there have been quite a lot of voice calls issue, probably related

Probably so @sheytoon , 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Does iPhone 8 support VoLTE on Public Mobile?

HI @mc_hammered 

the " locked to Freedom" was an issue your phone automatic network settings was not choosing Public Mobile for whatever reason.  Please change to Network Selection on your phone from Automatic to Manual and choose Public Mobile.  Test and see how it goes

If not working well, try "Reset All Networks" on your phone

and do you have iPhone? if you do, make sure Carrier Profile is updated

mc_hammered

Yes. Same general location, 70% of the time from my home as that is where I work out of.

Never has service with Freedom and this was the first time I've seen their banner displayed as the service provider. I toggled airplane mode and the phone locked onto Freedom again. Turned it on and off and got the same result, it eventually returned to PM.

Just now I tried making 3 phone calls and there is a noticeable 15-30 second delay as it tried to connect. This is also an intermittent issue and I try to have patience and temper my instant gratification. LOL

I'll reach out to a CSR for assistance.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mc_hammered 

I presume you're using it in the same general location as you did previously with Koodo and the problem is happening everywhere?

I find it curious that your device was "locked to Freedom" - have you ever had service with them before?  

If this problem occurs everywhere (thus is not environmental/location based), I'd reach out to customer support and ask them to reprovision the SIM/account.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here to create a support ticket, then type Customer Support Agent, then Contact Us,  or
  2. Send a private message to Customer Support Agent by clicking here.  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would try changing the Network Selection option under Cellular from Automatic to Public Mobile and see if that helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.