cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activation after suspending my account

ianmasini
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had suspended my plan with Public Mobility by activating it on the web site in January

I payed the amount due, re activated the account on March 3. Today March 5 I went to re insert my Sim Card.

The web site indicates I have a current active plan until next month, all payed up .

After all this I have no service.

Wondering how long it takes to reactivate a SIM . It indicates that it should start immediately however it has been over 2 hours and nothing . Double checked plan on website and good until May 4.

How do I solve this . No real person at Public Mobility to resolve. If I cant resolve I will simply go to another provider next month but this is just plan frustrating

39 REPLIES 39

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ianmasini 

You should dispute the locking of your phone by Boost. Their website says their are no contracts with them for services. The 12 months of service clause applies to a device subsidy when you purchase a phone with them not to services rendered. Since you brought your own device to use their services they should not be locking it instead you should formally cancelled your services with them. You may have to pay for services since you left until you formally cancel your services and they should unlock your phone once you do so. Here is that section from their terms of service.

How Do I Terminate Services? If you are thinking about cancelling your Service with Boost, please call us or visit a Boost store so that we can try to change your mind! If we are unable to change your mind, you can terminate Services by calling us and requesting that we deactivate all Services, or by porting your number to another carrier. You are responsible for all charges paymented or incurred prior to deactivating your Service. If Services are terminated before the end of your invoicing cycle, we won’t prorate charges to the date of termination and you won’t receive a credit or refund for any unused Services. Back to top

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only  your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@ianmasini   Yes, it is entirely possible.  Back in the days when Canada carriers still allow to lock phones, the phone we got brand new  are often unlocked.  It is only locked the moment we insert our SIM card.

US carrier still have different kind of lock.  Some are true carrier lock like that, some are not locked but their phone are locked to their update server to avoid you from downloading or installing OS updates. 

So, TMobile/Boost still not agree to unlock your phone until you complete the 12 months of service?  But Boost is a prepaid provider , isn't it?  What if you just use one month, then you wait another 11 months and they unlock it even you don't have service for that 11 months? or you do have to complete 12 months of service with them?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

WOW! Crap. Great update but wow. That sucks. How would anybody know to look for that during signing up? As you say, it didn't say that anywhere. Crap. Did they distinguish between locked or blacklisted? Can you pre-pay the remaining amount of time to get your phone out of being held hostage? Can you pay an unlocking service instead? Blacklisted is a different ballgame.

ianmasini

So it took a week , including going to the apple store to see if it was my actual phone that was having issues.

In the end it was the American provider Boost Mobile who has locked my phone.

Apparently when you sign up and give them your phone id ( even if it your own phone you are bringing for the plan) you are committed to a minimum 12 months of service with Boost Mobile in the states.... it doesnt say ANYWHERE on their web page. Public was great, they identified who it was, so i called them (who now our T mobile ) . They in turn now own Boost so after hours of time and speaking with customer service, they have locked my phone until i use 12 months of service.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

That just goes to show that the blacklisting is very recent. The OP needs to talk to their former employer. Boost is cheap and prepaid.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@dust2dust you might be right on:

From additional reading on this cellphone forum, it seems if a phone is blacklisted here or in the US, it becomes blacklisted entirely in North America.

The Canadian blacklist respects the blacklisted IMEIs in the US blacklist. It may take time to migrate the data. Rest assured if a device does not work in the US, it will not work in Canada.

@ianmasini so is Boost Mobile a postpaid provider?  you cleared you bill before you left?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Maybe ianmasini could have a little chat with Boost Mobility. I don't know about cross-border blacklisting though.

@ianmasini   trust us, it very unlikely PM put it on the list if you never ask them.  (They are never that proactive anyway)

another sad truth, it is next to impossible to take it down from the list.  Let's hope after you open the ticket with PM , they can confirm with you who put it on and maybe you can trace from there.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech @ianmasini 

There are two likely scenarios of how this iPhone has been blacklisted. Either the employer has had it blacklisted or their insurance provider as the proper documentation that a former employee bought out the phone was not filed or was lost and during an inventory after the OP left the iPhone could not be accounted for....and the employer listed it or made a claim and once the insurer paid out the claim they listed it as a stolen device on the blacklist. This is the most common reason for a device to be blacklisted after 2 or 3 years in the possession of the user.

If the workplace's provider had contracts with the business and for some reason the OP's phone came up as unaccountable or in breach of contract it may have been blacklisted by the provider.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@ianmasini   from what we understand, PM will not put any phone on the blacklist if you never ask them.  Many people use Lost/Stolen a lot and never reported that their phone got onto the blacklist after the Lost/Stolen action. 

Usually carrier put phones on the blacklist because they got financial dispute with the customers.  PM does not sell phones via plans or so, and they are prepaid, so, there is why PM usually won't put the phone on the blacklist themselves, again, unless being asked by the customer explicitly.

But of course, you should open a ticket with PM Support and confirm.  Maybe they can check who put it on and can assist.  Please open ticket with one of the 2 ways:

1. If you have access to Self-Serve My account: For faster response (2-48 hours) , Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with above method: you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ianmasini 

Who was the provider at your workplace?

ianmasini

I got it through my work before I retired 3 years ago.bought it out before i retired...

I have been with Public for a long time.... and before i suspended the plan ( put it on lost/stolen ) and after I re activated it and put  the plan back into effect it was still on the same credit card... so that should be enough  to show that it is the same person ..... anyone stealing a phone and plan would not put it on the same credit card...

This is Public Mobility issue....

@ianmasini wrote:

wanted to suspend my plan for up to 90 days as I was out of country for that time. The only way to keep your phone number with Public Mobility when you want to do this is to chose the lost/stolen option within the website...... so they have put it on the black list ...... but then it was reactivated within the 90 day requirement (89 days to be exact) and they reactivated my plan when i made payment but didnt remove it from the blacklist..... and I can not contact anyone to have it removed because they have no direct support..... this is crazy

@ianmasini 

That won't put your phone on the blacklist.  PM won't do it unless you ask for it explicitly

So, I asked couple times, where did you get the phone from?  from private sell? or stores or from carrier?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ianmasini 

Using lost/stolen does not blacklist your phone it merely disconnects your SIM card from the network. Your phone has been blacklisted from its source. Where did you purchase your new iPhone?

ianmasini

wanted to suspend my plan for up to 90 days as I was out of country for that time. The only way to keep your phone number with Public Mobility when you want to do this is to chose the lost/stolen option within the website...... so they have put it on the black list ...... but then it was reactivated within the 90 day requirement (89 days to be exact) and they reactivated my plan when i made payment but didnt remove it from the blacklist..... and I can not contact anyone to have it removed because they have no direct support..... this is crazy

ianmasini

I wanted to suspend my plan for up to 90 days as I was out of country for that time. The only way to keep your phone number with Public Mobility when you want to do this is to chose the lost/stolen option within the website...... so they have put it on the black list ...... but then it was reactivated within the 90 day requirement (89 days to be exact) and they reactivated my plan when i made payment but didnt remove it from the blacklist..... and I can not contact anyone to have it removed because they have no direct support..... this is crazy

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ianmasini 

Put your pm sim card back in your iPhone 6 to use your pm plan services. Unless you purchased your new iPhone from an authorized dealer it is nearly impossible to remove a device from the blacklist unless you are the person who had it blacklisted originally. Your best solution is to return or exchange your iPhone to the place of purchase.

@ianmasini   Where did you get the phone from?  did you get from private sell? or via trust shops or from carrier?

ianmasini

yes i just checked and the phone is listed on the canadian blacklisted phone registery.

But I reactivated on the Public Mobility website and have payed for the month.

How do i get it off the blacklist?

Connect to a WiFi and try settings - general - about and see if anything pops up.

@ianmasini  First check if your phone is blacklisted here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Also, where you got the phone from ?  I wonder if it is carrier locked.  Did you buy the phone from trusted source like from carrier directly?

ianmasini

under network it says "phone is not allowed".

What is that

ianmasini

Cellular - network selection -

Public Mobile is checked

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What do you see after settings - mobile data - network selection? Also turn off any volte option.

ianmasini

tried both... nothing

ianmasini

was working fine before i swapped out the sim to the US provider in January.

Same device I had before that worked fine . iphoneX

ianmasini

yes the sim was removed and another sim card was used for 3 months in the states.

When i returned i re inserted the public mobile sim i have and it will not work on the phone, however it will work on an old iphone 6.

Maybe the phone is set to manually connect to that network or is still trying to find it. If there's a setting for automatic then use that. Or even manually pick Public.

@ianmasini wrote:

now I come back and re insert the sim card for Public and it will not work on my phone ..... but it will work on a old iphone6 that i have.

@ianmasini   So, it's a device issue.  Was the PM SIM ever working in this "my phone"?  or is it a new phone you got in States?   What brand and model is that? 

Need Help? Let's chat.