cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE A7P

sun2go
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking at purchasing a ZTE A7P phone from the Telus store. However when I went online to research ZTE I see a lot of articles about ZTE being banned and discontinued soon in Canada. Yet Telus continue to offer these ZTE phones. The Telus clerk was not knowledgeable about this so I’m wonder if anyone can clarify this for me. Thanks.

50 REPLIES 50

RCO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would suggest if you can put the word out to friends and nieghbors 

a lot of people have older phones 

I currently using a Iphone 4 with PubMo

I have a 4 Year old android some gave me as a backup

Heres Hoping

@sun2go wrote:

Public mobile only sells pre owned phones.

My original post was about ZTE. However the conversation evolved to talking about the Chinese tracking us on the phones. When I then mentioned that I was using a flip phone until it died I had several suggestions on getting a new flip phone. I use my cell when I am out of town for texting but I’m tired of being the slowest texting person ever. It is impossible to carry on any type of conversation with my rapid texting family so am upgrading.
Again thanks for all the info. I am very grateful to the community.

@sun2go , I can certainly understand that. If my flip phone had speech to text it would be easier but as is I can’t text on it! I bought it as an emergency phone so I wouldn’t be left without one & it was cheap in price therefore affordable for me to purchase. Eventually I will find a better one. 🤣

sun2go

Public mobile only sells pre owned phones.

My original post was about ZTE. However the conversation evolved to talking about the Chinese tracking us on the phones. When I then mentioned that I was using a flip phone until it died I had several suggestions on getting a new flip phone. I use my cell when I am out of town for texting but I’m tired of being the slowest texting person ever. It is impossible to carry on any type of conversation with my rapid texting family so am upgrading.
Again thanks for all the info. I am very grateful to the community.

RCO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PubMo seems to have some pretty good deals itself

here is the Link

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/phone-section 

It is not clear if you are buying the Flip or Blade Model

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.18.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.21.11 PM.png

@sun2go wrote:

Thanks for all your feedback on the ZTE and cell phone security. Good advice for me.

The comments on the ZTE being available through Telus Canada and therefore not likely to be discontinued makes sense. But the comments on the spying makes me wish my old flip phone hadn’t died so I wouldn’t need a new one. But as noted we are being tracked on just about every electronic device and shopping cards so I guess it means we must be as knowledgeable and careful with the settings etc. as we can in this electronic age. I am looking into other phones this weekend.

@sun2go , I’m using the zte flip phone I bought on here in December on sale. I needed a cheap basic phone quick. It’s ok. I can’t text on the keypad it takes way to long & causes pain to my hands but the calls are great. It also has an fm radio which I enjoy. The battery lasts for a few days before needing charged. No apps on it. Basic flip phone. It won’t be a loss for the price I paid for it if anything happens. My iPhone battery was finally about depleted after over 7 years of having the phone.

@sun2go   yes, phones these days are more valuable then your wallet.  You will loss your identity and many accounts info if ever there is apps collecting the info.  So, pick one that you feel comfortable with and with great reputation.

sun2go

Thanks for all your feedback on the ZTE and cell phone security. Good advice for me.

The comments on the ZTE being available through Telus Canada and therefore not likely to be discontinued makes sense. But the comments on the spying makes me wish my old flip phone hadn’t died so I wouldn’t need a new one. But as noted we are being tracked on just about every electronic device and shopping cards so I guess it means we must be as knowledgeable and careful with the settings etc. as we can in this electronic age. I am looking into other phones this weekend.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@sun2go wrote:

I am looking at purchasing a ZTE A7P phone from the Telus store. However when I went online to research ZTE I see a lot of articles about ZTE being banned and discontinued soon in Canada. Yet Telus continue to offer these ZTE phones. The Telus clerk was not knowledgeable about this so I’m wonder if anyone can clarify this for me. Thanks.

@sun2go , I’ve read that a few times also in a few articles!

Canada banning Chinese telecom giant Huawei, ZTE from 5G network's! 

Trudeau says Huawei, ZTE 5G ban took longer because government wanted to get it right 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

This is interesting. But can go deeper. 

Huawei, ZTE. For sure Huawei has been banned by many countries to build the new networks.  I get it!!

China has allegedly put up surveillance balloons over Canada and USA. But USA denies it was China. 

Now bouys have been found in the Arctic supposedly Chinese are tracking with them as well. A huge steel ball has been found on the shores of Japan...from?? China allegedly is tracking our prescription drug usage. China is buying huge companies in Canada and USA....ie General Electric in the USA.  Telus still sells ZTE boxes for land lines and remote internet usage. iMessage for iPhones was developed by a Chinese company called TenCent. Your car is full of parts produced in many countries....what else is your GPS doing?? And what else is your Smart Watch monitoring?

We are being kept care of and being protected by the Federal government. So go ahead and buy it, that is if it works on Telus/PM. But as others mentioned.....only put APPS on that you feel comfortable where it was produced or who produced it. Would you put an APP on your phone if it was produced in a communist country, USA or Britain, or Quebec or Florida??? APPS most likely are tracking something, as does your SaveOn card and your London Drugs card. And some stores can read your open to buy from your credit card in your wallet. 

Do we have a reason to be a bit paranoid....yes....do some care....yes and no. So do your due diligence and minimize your APPS!!!! 

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @sun2go 

the phone can certainly be used on PM as long as it is sold by Telus

But I would avoid it as many Chinese phones are known to include many suspicious app loaded on the phones.  Phones these days collect all your personal and your financial info.  Be aware

I do agree! The Chinese phones have a lot spy apps which is installed in the phone without buyer know them! The Chinese phones have to have these spy app installed in the phone by Chinese government ordered and is in Chinese law. So for security reason never buy Chinese make phones and laptop!

I'm afraid to say, but ANY device which connects to any network (with free downloadable apps on it) is subject to outside 'interference'.

Check out the apps settings and permissions for use - they generally are very broad.

The way of the world, @sun2go 

Hi @sun2go it is not where it made but the company itself. 

Samsung and iPhone are more reliable in that. Some Samsung phones are not made in China 

sun2go

There are non Chinese phones?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@sun2go  If Telus sells it I’d be confident it will work , or they just wouldn’t sell it in the first place .. be bad business to knowingly sell a device that won’t work 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @sun2go 

the phone can certainly be used on PM as long as it is sold by Telus

But I would avoid it as many Chinese phones are known to include many suspicious app loaded on the phones.  Phones these days collect all your personal and your financial info.  Be aware

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sun2go 

The ZTE A7P will work on 850hz and 1900hz frequency on 3G and 4G/LTE so you are fine.

Not sure why it would be banned in Canada since it is sold by ZTECanada.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Here is how one article put it - note the use of the phrase, " ... use of new ...".   Expect this just means it'll no longer be available...

Huawei, ZTE to be banned from Canada’s 5G/4G networks | IT World Canada News

The use of new 5G equipment and managed services from Huawei and ZTE will be prohibited and existing 5G equipment and managed services must be removed or terminated by June 28, 2024.

Any use of new 4G equipment and managed services from Huawei and ZTE will be prohibited and any existing 4G equipment and managed services must be removed or terminated by December 31, 2027.

The government expects that telecommunications service providers will stop buying new 4G or 5G equipment and associated services from the companies by September 1st.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sun2go 

ZTE and Huawei are bring banned for their 5G equipment used by the Telecom, not the mobile phone itself 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Think you'll be fine in Canada with this device, @sun2go 

For now, anyway.

The "discontinuation" is mere political ramblings of the US trying to control certain business activities of certain foreign entities for reasons which may or may not be legitimate.

Need Help? Let's chat.