cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You allowed a 12 year old girl change my account I want my money back

Brianchrissy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I get my money back a text message is not an acceptable way to change an account 

16 REPLIES 16

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 those are some great points.  There should be a better, safer way.  This also could have been handled better by @Brianchrissy.  Saying that Public took advantage of a child is pretty low.  They could have said a mistake was made and we would like to get credited. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Brianchrissy, while I can see how you would be upset I have to say my kids have been on Public Mobile since they 11.  I  explained everything to them about messages coming in and asking for a YES response and other types of messages.  Never have they responded when they shouldn't have and bring those messages to my attention so that I can see what they are being asked.

While I do agree there can be a better process, I also think we need to make our kids aware of their "Digital actions" goes the same with social media and their virtual presence.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I know that Public Mobile wanted to make it easy for customers to swtich to the new plan and this was a marekting excercise to upsell some customers to it.  However, I do believe that Public Mobile has a duty to ensure that the change is authorized by the account holder. A text message doesn't do that.  When making purchases through 611 or making changes through Self Serve an account PIN or account password is needed.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Brianchrissy 

PM is prepaid provider.  So, when you first setup, there was no age field there and no identity check.  So, there is no way for PM to know if a minor is an account owner or not.  And in your case, I assume you opened the account for your daughter and you are the account owner 

To be fair to PM, there is no way PM knows if you, the account owner, or your daughter replied the text 

Since your daughter is already capable to drag you into situation with some financial loss, I think it is  time for you to pay more attention to her online and mobile activities 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Brianchrissy 

Isn't technology wonderful?

C'mon, take some accountability.   

Public Mobile is not even remotely close to being responsible in this kinda case.

If you plead your case to their customer support, they might help you change the plan back and, (if they're feeling gracious), may credit the portion of the increased plan value to your available funds.

I'm guessing it'll be very YMMV.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Brianchrissy did she reply YES to a promo text about the $40 plan??  if you let her have control on the phone and text freely, don't you think you have some responsibility, too? 

You are lucky she just replied Yes to PM text and some dangerous person out there

Good luck

DDM69

Public Mobile didn’t give the phone to the child…you did. Take some accountability as a parent. 

DDM69

@Brianchrissy 

I think Public Mobile probably expects mature capable adults to be using the device…not young children. Keep the phone locked and out of young hands.  

@Brianchrissy, while I can see how you would be upset I have to say my kids have been on Public Mobile since they 11.  I  explained everything to them about messages coming in and asking for a YES response and other types of messages.  Never have they responded when they shouldn't have and bring those messages to my attention so that I can see what they are being asked.

While I do agree there can be a better process, I also think we need to make our kids aware of their "Digital actions" goes the same with social media and their virtual presence.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Brianchrissy  I appreciate your frustration and what you’re saying … but in fact this text was for you … as I said you can ask support to make an exception and use the lesson as a teachable moment for your daughter about the importance of not clicking links and replying to unknown senders text messages and emails … hope you get a resolve … and know your daughter was not target taken advantage of or scammed in any way it’s all a honest mistake unfortunately 

One can always opt out of receiving such texts also …. Personally I like the text offers just like the free holiday give away 2 GB free and 500 international mins also makes it easy peasy … matter of convenience 

Brianchrissy

My daughter playing game on phone and answering yes to a text msg without my knowledge that's how they took advantage  not asking for private pin or password just three letters from a little girl 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@yackinlyn wrote:

How do pm know the age of users. if you sign for your kids,you are responsible.

While you are somehow correct I also think that making changes in account by SMS is not right. Sending an info that there is promotion and you can login to make change would be perfectly fine, but making changes by simply replying to message is wrong. This is 'fishing' and I'm sure one of the ways PM is using to make extra money.. Many people will fall for it without understanding consequences and yes, many parents (including myself) do have PM plans for kids as it is reasonably priced for lower plans. 

yackinlyn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How do pm know the age of users. if you sign for your kids,you are responsible.

@Brianchrissy how did the youngster get the phone unlock the phone code … it’s a promo offer no intentional taken advantage of … many got this text including myself and I jumped on it too it’s a great plan … but you can certainly ask support if there’s an exception to be made in your case 

Brianchrissy

Taking advantage of  12 year old girls over text msgs is wrong 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Brianchrissy  If you’re referring to the promo text for 15GB for $40 many have changed plans this way all one needed to do was reply YES to the text … you can always change plans again but if you want to talk message support about it here’s the link 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get support by starting a conversation with virtual Chat box /SIMon. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   To CS_Agents by clicking here.

Watch for reply top of page to the

Right ( envelope image )

Need Help? Let's chat.