cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note and new Chinese brand phones

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Need to get a new phone asap Phone broke and i'm using a phone from early 2013, cant add apps no space

Does the Xiaomi  phones work on Public Mobile or in Canada.  

Anyone used ali express before. What was your experience ordering from Ali Express.

I have only ordered on amazon before where returns are easy

I need to get a new phone. It has to be budget. under 300.

Last phone I had was from umidi f1 , it worked really well, until I smashed the screen into the ground during a fall past winter. processor, ram  and hardware wise  as I had a gaming version was great. I'm looking for something similar high specs but still cheap

15 REPLIES 15

Bubba

Yes that true. But its a new thing where the more more well known brands are now doing 2-3 year os up grade.

They are now doing that because they are all loosing a ton of money to the new Chinese manufactures. Thats the only reason why samsung started making different levels of budget phones  

HI@Bubba  The bigger brands Chinese phones are ok.  But even the bigger brands, they usually have less support and OS upgrade then the brands we can buy in North America here.  

But many are just knockoffs.

Bubba

Phones are now like how computers were 20 years ago and a now computers. You can pick and choose processors and and the amount of hard drives / storage space. And the newer Chinese brands are pushing it.

I can get more processor speed and double the amount of storage space from a Chinese brand than from other brands.

Most of the problems with the phones not working have to do with bands ,as they cater to Asian or Eastern European market and developing countries, not north america

The phone that broke , when I bough it had the same amount of storage (or more)  and  same amount of ram as a higher end samsung phone at a 1/4 the price. The only problem was that the camera was terrible.

I can build a computer so I'm not easily dazzled by the marketing by phone manufacturers.

Jinhaic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not surprised, two phones ordered recently a couple of month apart, similar arrival times. Custom was quick, held under a day, the second one arrived in two weeks

@Jinhaic 

I am surprised you got the phones in 3 weeks. It normally takes longer because it sits in Canada Customs for a long time for them to inspect.

Jinhaic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have two Redmi phone ordered from AliExpress xiaomi global online store, works well with public mobile, key is global model not Chinese model installed global ROM. Downside, you need at least 3 weeks for standard shipping 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba 

A friend of mine got the Xiaomi 10 Note from DHGate and it works fine on PM.

I would recommend the Samsung A11, A12  or A13 for under $300. There are more accessories for these phones.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba 

If it helps I have purchased from swiftronics via amazon.ca. No complaints.

Bubba

Its been a while since I did serious online shopping. Thanks for the reminder about the duty, totally forgot bout that. Even places in the U.S are adding close for just $40 duty alone

Nesyou514
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It should work but wouldnt buy a xiaomi phone honestly

Meow
Mayor / Maire

What is the reason to buy these Chines phones? Price? And then after few things do not work coming back here and complaining or asking for advice?

I would stick with big brands like Samsung even if it cost a little but more. You can find good deal on kijiji from honest sellers.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba 

Swiftronics offers good deals. You can check if they have the same phone listed for sale on amazon.ca and save on the shipping cost. No pst if you are outside of Ontario but check as some rules have changed in that regard on July 1st. Its the last prime day on amazon today so you may save additionally today only. Otherwise you may want to monitor swiftronics for their sales and buy as soon as you see a phone on sale as they sell out quick.

This is the cheapest phone on offer that may suit your needs....$199

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/xiaomi-redmi-9c-dual-sim-3gb-64gb-unlocked?v...

Or this one priced at $299

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/xiaomi-poco-m4-pro-5g-4gb-64gb-international...

In the meantime does your old phone take a micro sd card? If so put one in to download apps for use while you figure out which new phone you will purchase.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba 

if you buy it from Aliexpress then when enter canada you need to pay for duty and tax,

amazom is to easy to buy it and to return

that store has a lot of great Recertified phone 

Motorola One 5G Ace 6.7 128Gb Unlocked Android Smartphone (factorydirect.ca)

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba hi whatever phone you decide on check it here https://willmyphonework.net/

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bubba there are different Xiaomi Redmi Nite, which exact  model?

Generally speaking,  they might work but  won't work great because they usually do not have all the required bands used in PM (and other carriers) as the phones are not designed  for NA market

Need Help? Let's chat.