cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Canada-US work in the US

Dayaoub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have a plan of data and minutes for Canada & US. I will be traveling to the US in the next few days, and I would like to know if I will have service once I get to the US and If I will be able to make phone calls or use my internet data.

Cordially,

Happy holidays 🙂

14 REPLIES 14

@DennyCrane wrote:

@HALIMACS I wondered the same thing. I'm curious what plan the OP has. Hopefully long distance add-on isn't being confused with a Can/US roaming plan.

Indeed @DennyCrane 

Clearly the OP didn't like my initial question - it seems they took it differently than I meant it since they neglected to answer with any details. 🙄

The reason I asked is a fair number of folks ask that similar question and because of this, there's good reason to perhaps request that Public Mobile make the plan offering descriptions clearer so folks know EXACTLY what they're getting and what they're not getting.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS I wondered the same thing. I'm curious what plan the OP has. Hopefully long distance add-on isn't being confused with a Can/US roaming plan.

Really @Dayaoub ?

OK? I’ll tell you.

Sometimes the details about plan availability and options isn’t as clear as it should be on public mobiles part, and some people mistakenly presume a Canada US plan means that you can call the US from Canada as opposed to having services while in the US.

Why did you think I was asking you otherwise?

Dayaoub

Hello HALIMACS,

Curious!!! I want to know what made you curious!!!

Enjoy your day 🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Dayaoub 

Curious … what did you believe the Canada/US plan was for when you originally moved to it or activated on it?

HI @Dayaoub 

edge 2022 is VoLTE compatible.  so, you are good

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

just make sure you connect to the LTE or 4G network on T-Mobile or AT&T , and don't connect on the 5G network

Dayaoub

Screenshot_20231222-094647.png

Dayaoub

Screenshot_20231222-094709.png

Dayaoub

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have a Motorola Edge 2022.

@Dayaoub wrote:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. How would I know if my phone is enabled for voLTE?

HI @Dayaoub 

what phone do you have? iPhone 8 and above would be VoLTE enabled, you can connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T and use the VoLTE

if you have Android, let us know what model

but even without VoLTE, you can use voice with T-Mobile's 2G network

and download VoIP app TextNow as a backup, you can use it to call using the app just in case

@Dayaoub  You can test for it . Turn wifi off and set phone to LTE . Now make a call does it stay on LTE or drop to 3G ? If stays on LTE no worries voLTE is enabled and when your in the US just leave phone set to LTE . Otherwise if it drops to 3G voLTE not enabled @Dayaoub and for voice in the U.S. you need to rely  on T mobile on 2G network 

Dayaoub

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. How would I know if my phone is enabled for voLTE?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Dayaoub  Yes it will work in both Canada and the U.S. . Just be sure to turn data roaming on in phone settings when in the U.S. and make sure you’re connected to T mobile or AT&T . Also do you know if your phone / account is enabled for voLTE ?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Dayaoub 

yes it will work, that's what Canada-US plan for 

make sure you enable roaming data on your phone first

and connect to T-Mobile or AT&T

Need Help? Let's chat.