cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Public Mobile Offer "Unlimited" Data Soon? Lucky Mobile has it....

johnpaul
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Lucky Mobile now allows you to continue using data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data.

Do you want Public Mobile do the same soon? If you want this, reply to this post and say "YES". Let's make this a petition.

19 REPLIES 19

@alexcolbourne wrote:

Should public offer unlimited data@128kbps... Like lucky mobile and other carriers do.

Yes. Yes, YES!

In the event that you are out of WiFi range, and run out of data. You can then still receive necessary communication, via email or 3rd party Messengers.

The biggest bonus would be that you could access your account to purchase an add-on. To bump you back up to high speed..

They could even offer it only for the people using auto top-up. I would even give up my 2dollar savings for this feature.

@alexcolbourne yes wouldn't that be great!! I don't think it will happen but keep your fingers crossed

alexcolbourne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Should public offer unlimited data@128kbps... Like lucky mobile and other carriers do.

Yes. Yes, YES!

In the event that you are out of WiFi range, and run out of data. You can then still receive necessary communication, via email or 3rd party Messengers.

The biggest bonus would be that you could access your account to purchase an add-on. To bump you back up to high speed..

They could even offer it only for the people using auto top-up. I would even give up my 2dollar savings for this feature.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I chose PM over other providers b/c of their lower priced plans and rewards structure. If this were to change then they could be alienating some users in order to attract new users that could also be serviced by most other providers (affecting long-term loyalty)... a tough spot to be in for PM to be in since they need to also embrace unlimited data eventually

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

ICurrently, my 90-day plan is about $10 renewal for me.  After being here for 3 years now, I’d be crazy to switch carriers, unless something truly great came along.

Watch the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themself.

Yes - but you could probably get that bill down to zero pretty quick if PM offers unlimited and you tell a few friends. 

ICurrently, my 90-day plan is about $10 renewal for me.  After being here for 3 years now, I’d be crazy to switch carriers, unless something truly great came along.

Watch the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themself.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Would be nice...even if speed were throttled, at least you can still do email and IM, that will be awesome. 

With the big providers offering this and now LM, I think slowly but surely smaller providers will follow suit. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think they also should offer unlimited. 

They may be worried about people dropping down from $40+ plans to $25 plan thinking that they are now covered given that they way they currently use data, 128kbps may work.

But ... You could offer something different, say 256 or 512kbps, but limited to plans $40 and over. Something like this I think would actually increase revenue as it would attract many more from outside.  

Or really different, no throttled data (ok, limited to '3G LTE lite') but unlimited and priced at say $100. 

How much data do you use? Up your plan for more data. Use data saver, check apps for unnecessary data usage and use free WiFi (and settings enabling this) to cut down on your usage. If your a data addict 128kb isn't Going to do much for you. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you switch and change your mind you'll lose your loyalty and referral rewards. Is it worth it?

johnpaul

@Anonymous wrote:

@johnpaul wrote:

Me too. If PM doesn't make a move in the next few weeks, I'm switching to the other side. I heard they have an app (no need to go to the self serve website) to monitor usage which is pretty handy. The downside is that they don't offer $2 discount for autopay. And there is no U.S. roaming. But the unlimited data (128 kbps) is really the selling point.

Nor do they offer a loyalty discount. Nor do they offer rewards for participating here. And they don't appear to offer a refer-a-friend. But hey if slow data is important to you then that's a choice you need to examine.

Yes. PM has a really good discount and rewards program. I have to give that to them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@johnpaul wrote:

Me too. If PM doesn't make a move in the next few weeks, I'm switching to the other side. I heard they have an app (no need to go to the self serve website) to monitor usage which is pretty handy. The downside is that they don't offer $2 discount for autopay. And there is no U.S. roaming. But the unlimited data (128 kbps) is really the selling point.

Nor do they offer a loyalty discount. Nor do they offer rewards for participating here. And they don't appear to offer a refer-a-friend. But hey if slow data is important to you then that's a choice you need to examine.

johnpaul

tango
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been watching this for a while.  If PM does not matching Lucky's unlimited 128K soon, I will probably port to Lucky.  Where I'm at, I use the Bell tower anyway, so it does not make any difference to me if I use either one.  Also, I heard if you stay with Lucky for 2 months, you can migrate to Bell/Virgin for $40/6GB.

@jor123 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

No thank you.  I'd be pulling my hair out at 128Kbps.

It's still much better than paying overages. I think this would be a great idea for cost-conscious customers which PM are marketing towards.

There are no overage charges at Public Mobile.

You must pay before to allow you to use anything here.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@johnpaul wrote:

At 128 kbps, chatting in apps like Whatsapp, Viber and Facebook messenger should still work I think. 

Absolutely, it would be fine for basic text-based chat and light browsing, etc. The latency is what helps more than anything on LTE...

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

It's still much better than paying overages. I think this would be a great idea for cost-conscious customers which PM are marketing towards.

johnpaul

At 128 kbps, chatting in apps like Whatsapp, Viber and Facebook messenger should still work I think. 

@srlawren wrote:

This is one of only a handful of Public Mobile related things that I disagree with you on.  As long as Public Mobile doesn't increase prices to implement this, having a speed as slow as 128Kbps is still better than the data not working at all.  I would imagine that if Public Mobile did implement this type of unlimited data, there still would be add-on, early renewal, or immediate plan change options available if more data is needed at faster speeds.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@johnpaul wrote:

Lucky Mobile now allows you to continue using data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging at no additional charge once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data.

Do you want Public Mobile do the same soon? If you want this, reply to this post and say "YES". Let's make this a petition.

@johnpaul  My guess is that they will. Time will tell. Smiley Happy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.