cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my local call considered long distance?!

howard12f
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm new to Public Mobile, just switched over from Fido yesterday. 

I live in Vancouver, BC, have an area code of (778). I made a few calls this morning already, no problem. But when I was trying to call a local store this afternoon, I got this auto reply saying that it's a Long Distance Call and cannot complete the call....

(I'm on the Province Plan).

This store is in my same city, its area code is obviously also the same (778). Why is this Long Distance?! (Same city, same province)

Kind of frustrating....

Thanks, 

13 REPLIES 13

@Citybase Does the call connect if you just ignore the message? If so, try adding 1 in front of the numbers affected: 1-123-456-7890 for example.

If local calls do not connect, and your plan is paid up, you will need moderator assistance. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation. Moderator hours are: Monday - Friday 9AM (ET) - 9PM (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9AM (ET) - 7:30PM (ET). Response is generally within few hours, but may take 24.

BTW: You posted to an old thread. In future you will have more assurance of help by creating your own topic on the forum, or sending a private message directly to the moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Citybase

I have the same problem

ranran

Actually, I got a response two weeks after my first PM.  Still the problem is unresolved.  Ongoing for months.  I am paying for a service that I am not getting and the help is hard to find for this.  PLEASE FIX THIS MODERATORS ASAP!

ranran

I have not gotten the help I need, and I have PMed the Moderators and had no response.

For everyone having this problem, you can also try dialing +1 then the 10-digit number to get around this issue.  Conventional POTS (plain old telephone system) dialing rules seem to be different than mobile cellular rules.  A call on a land line to 1-416-xxx-yyyy to 1-416-xxx-zzzz can be dialed without the 1 where 10 digit dialing is required (if not everywhere already).  On mobile, sending to a +1416xxxyyyy doesn't route the same as 416-xxx-yyyy... I don't know where I've read this before, but it's stuck with me.

@ranran Moosonee! I lived in Timmins years ago, so it's nice to hear of a familiar place. I can understand if you were calling Timmins, then yeah, it's long distance, but not locally or even to Moose Factory.

Did you end up getting the help you needed? If not, scroll up to Shazia_K's name and hover over it, where you'll see a pop-up with Send Message in orangeHopefully her or another moderator can address your issue!

howard12f

You'll need to send an email to PM. Since this is solved case by case I believe. They were pretty helpful with my case. Smiley Happy

ranran

I am having this exact same problem.  I am in Moosonee with a 705 number, trying to call other people here, and getting a message saying that I have no long distance on my plan.  I have province-wide!!  It's the same area code even.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @tomeee,

Exactly as @Shazia_K asked the previous person, can you please send her a private message with your own phone number, and the phone number you are trying to dial?  She can investigate this for you, but please bear in mind the moderators are experiencing a very high request volume right now due to the popularity of the current promo plan, so it may take a bit of time to get to your issue.  Please try to be patient.

In the meantime, you could try a free data-based service such as Hangouts Dialer or Fongo.ca to place the call.  (Credit to @Luddite for often suggesting this.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tomeee
I have this same problem. Could someone please fix this?

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @howard12f

I'm sorry about this, 

Can you please send me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number and I will look into this for you. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

howard12f

Thank you @nishufan for this link and suggestion! 🙂

Hi @Shazia_K @Mary_M, could you please help me out?

I check the link provided by Nishufan, the phone number I dialed was 778-379-xxxx, which is a Vancouver phone number...It's in the same city as me. And it's a local store which is a 10min drive from my home....

But regardless of the city, since it is a "Province-wide" plan, even if I'm calling a different city, as long as its within the same province (in my case that's British Columbia), that shouldn't be counted as Long-Distance correct?

I mean, if calling a different city (same province) counts as long distance, then the plan would be called "City-wide"...

Thanks again 🙂

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

HI

@howard12f

I ask this question before. 

Actually area code 778 covers a large geographic area.For example, 778 can be used in Vancouver,Abbotsford,Hazelton,Victoria and so on.The second 3 digits of your number determine your city. Here is a full list:

http://cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA778.htm

Sometimes, when the area code updated, but the carriers do not update their database. It would happens. If you sure both munbers are in the same area code and city. You can contact @Shazia_K or @Mary_M for help.

Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.