cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why hasn't my SIM card activated

Winn1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's been 20 hours since I tried porting my number. It looked like I did it properly since I received the notice that it could take up to 2 hours to work. But when I restart my phone I receive the message SIM network unlock PIN and I am suppose to put something in there and click on unlock but I don't have that PIN. I messaged the Mod team but have not received an answer yet. What should I do? I tried the start up form but it says that the SIM is invalid. 

25 REPLIES 25

3mom

I'm so glad that we could have helped, kinda sorta LOL

Winn1

"Did it by myself" means I did not have someone sitting with me helping me do this. You all helped me through this. Thank you so much again.

Winn1

Awesome!! Samsung unlocked my phone and it is working! I have Public Mobile service. I am so relieved and I can't believe I did this by myself. Thank you all for your kind responses.

3mom

If you have a Public Mobile SIM you shouldn't need to contact Samsung unless you need to physically unlock the phone itself. Also, please ensure that you are entering the correct numbers when entering the SIM #. 

This is a Community for members, such as yourself and me to help each other out with any issues we may be having. Since Public Mobile no longer has a call center, this has been a huge help for many clients who have stuck it out with this phone company. If you should require any further assistance, reach out to the Moderator Team. 

Samsung is giving unlock codes for free : 

1. Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170
  2. Inform the rep that you would like to unlock your phone  and provide the IMEI & Carrier info
  3. In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email.  

@Winn1 wrote:

Just curious people...is this a message board or a chat? Or a blog? I've never done this before. By the way, I am on chat with Samsung and the agent is generating a code for me now.

@Winn1  More info regarding the PM Community can be found here. 

Winn1

Just curious people...is this a message board or a chat? Or a blog? I've never done this before. By the way, I am on chat with Samsung and the agent is generating a code for me now.

@Winn1 wrote:

Perhaps the wording of the message I get when I first start the phone will provide some clarity..."SIM network unlock PIN" and a line to enter it and under that the button "Unlock" or "Dismiss"

Did you try "Dismiss" button? After push "Dismiss" button what happened?

@Winn1 wrote:

It is a Samsung A5 2017. Purchased from Superstore in Burnaby.

Someone said although Samsung phone is unlocked, but when you put the first Sim card into it, then the phone will be locked to that carrier for your case that was  Virgin Mobile, therefore you need contact Samsung to give you unlocked code.

@Winn1 wrote:

Perhaps the wording of the message I get when I first start the phone will provide some clarity..."SIM network unlock PIN" and a line to enter it and under that the button "Unlock" or "Dismiss"

@Winn1  That means the phone is locked. You need to provide the unlock code for it to be able to use the PM sim card.

Winn1

@Winn1 wrote:

If you goto the Samsung website and start a chat session they should be able to provide you with an unlock code.

Winn1

Winn1

Oh that sounds promising. Thank you. This has been a harrowing ordeal for this old girl.

@Winn1 wrote:

Now the Virgin mobile agent is saying that it is definitely unlocked in their system and they don't have an unlock code for it.

@Winn1  What type of phone is it? Did you purchase it from chatr  Virgin or somewhere else?

Winn1

Now the Virgin mobile agent is saying that it is definitely unlocked in their system and they don't have an unlock code for it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Winn1 wrote:

Thank you. I don't understand how this message board thing works. My first time doing this ever. I thought I should repsond to you out of courtesy.

You're doing great. Welcome to Public Mobile.

If your phone is a Samsung then they can also get you an unlock code via chat.

Winn1

Well this is confusing now. Virgin mobile chat says that the phone is already unlocked. I hope I can get this resolved.

Winn1

Thank you. I don't understand how this message board thing works. My first time doing this ever. I thought I should repsond to you out of courtesy.

@Winn1 wrote:

Tried that. It's inactive. I am now on a chat with Virgin Mobile trying to get an unlock code.

@Winn1  If that's the case it means that the port was !00% completed. Once you get the unlock code everything should start working. Smiley Happy

Winn1

Tried that. It's inactive. I am now on a chat with Virgin Mobile trying to get an unlock code.

@Winn1 wrote:

Thank you for your response. I will try that but since I have no phone at all I hope that I can contact them on their website.

@Winn1  You might still be able to use your old sim card to call them. Smiley Happy

Winn1

Thank you for your response. I will try that but since I have no phone at all I hope that I can contact them on their website.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Winn1 wrote:

It's been 20 hours since I tried porting my number. It looked like I did it properly since I received the notice that it could take up to 2 hours to work. But when I restart my phone I receive the message SIM network unlock PIN and I am suppose to put something in there and click on unlock but I don't have that PIN. I messaged the Mod team but have not received an answer yet. What should I do? I tried the start up form but it says that the SIM is invalid. 

@Winn1  That means that your phone is locked to the previous provider. You need to contact them and get an unlock code for your phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your phone is locked.  Which provider did you previously use ?  You may need to contact your previous provider to unlock it.

Need Help? Let's chat.