cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is Public Mobile 3G retiring 3G service?

clasha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I was wondering when 3G is retiring and then what happens if I am on a 3G plan?  I thought I read somewhere Telus is starting to retire 3G December 2022 and I believe that is who backs PM service.  Since that date is close by I was wondering when PM is retiring it?  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The old September volte rumor didn't ring true in the end but we can continue to hope...lol

Don't know... this was from Sasktel site. 

Perhaps other phone users should google their make and model to verify. I was reading this and thought to verify if ours are ok....and they where. I guess another check is settings, cellular, and do you see an LTE option to check. The reason I checked.....soon there will be some good second hand phones available from folks renewing their contracts during the Christmas season. 🌲 

BAE57795-DF62-45A4-BD46-A582DF382160.jpeg

Hi @CountyDownIeUk is that true when  VoLTE is available here, all phones that can VoLTE will work?  there will no more a shortlist of "approved" phones, right?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire
Volte compatible   Apple iPhone
  • 14 Pro Max
  • 14 Pro
  • 14 Plus
  • 13 Pro Max
  • 13 Pro
  • 13 Mini
  • 12 Pro Max
  • 12 Pro
  • 12 Mini
  • SE (3rd generation)
  • SE (2nd generation)
  • SE (1st generation)
  • 11 Pro Max
  • 11 Pro
  • 8 Plus
  • 7 Plus
  • XS Max
  • XS
  • XR
  • X
  • 6S Plus
  • 6S
Samsung Galaxy
  • A03s
  • A11
  • A12
  • A21
  • A51
  • A71
  • A13 5G
  • A32
  • A52
  • A53
  • Z Flip 5G
  • Z Flip 4
  • Z Fold 4
  • Z Flip 3 5G
  • Z Fold 3 5G
  • S22
  • S22 Ultra
  • S22+
  • S21 5G
  • S21 FE 5G
  • S21 Ultra 5G
  • S21+ 5G
  • S20 5G
  • S20 FE 5G
  • S20+ 5G
  • S20 Ultra 5G
  • S10
  • S10e
  • S10+
  • Note 10
  • Note 10+
  • Note 20 Ultra 5G

Samsung devices require a software update to enable VoLTE roaming.

• If you don't have the latest operating system on your device, you may need to update your software to get VoLTE roaming to work
  • See Updating your Android OS to learn how to check for updates

LG
  • Velvet

Motorola
  • Moto Edge (2022)
  • Moto G 5G
  • Moto G Pure

ZTE
  • Blade A3 Plus
  • Cymbal 2

@Yummy 

no, one doesn't need a new SIM

yes, the carrier needs to support it to see that option

@will13am wrote:

@clasha , I think the one thing you might want to be mindful of is when the 3G network in Canada is shut down at the end of 2025 is that your phone will need to be VoLTE compliant in order to make phone calls.

Will that require new SIM?

I read Samsung S7 is VoLTE compatible but I do not see option to turn it on. It looks like carrier (PM) has to start supporting it in order to see that option. Am I correct?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@clasha , I think the one thing you might want to be mindful of is when the 3G network in Canada is shut down at the end of 2025 is that your phone will need to be VoLTE compliant in order to make phone calls.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@clasha   Closing the 3G network will not affect your plan because that's only a name PM uses to designate a slower speed version of LTE. The closure of 3G networks will only mean all phones switching to VoLTE for phone calls. Currently PM phones calls use the the 3G network. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@clasha   In Canada, we are expected to see the end of 3G by the end of 2025.  Carrier will start turning it off a bit earlier.  Before PM can retire 3G, they will have to turn on VoLTE, hope they will do it very soon.  

Need Help? Let's chat.