cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the process to report dead zones?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I've been with PM for 2+ years and Telus for 20 years prior to that, and I've driven the same route to work for 15 years. Only in the last few months or so have I noticed a particular area on my route to/from work that shows to have full service, but never seems to be able to get a data connection. Android Auto always fails to take commands while driving, and when stopped for dinner i can't even order food from my phone. My wife on PM has made the same complaints to me, so I know it's not just me. We both have Google Pixel 5a's, if that matters. The area is along Fraser Highway in Surrey, BC, around 156th street.

Anyways, I'm wondering what the process is to report a dead zone? As I said, I have full bars but data doesn't work.

25 REPLIES 25

@DennyCrane 

sounds like the 5g modem is conflicting with the towers. the device wants to connect through 5g cause it sees a 5g tower, however it's simply not available.

@DennyCrane 

I blame it on the McNuggets.   Those things are killers of all things - including signals.   LOL

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Today was much better after forcing phone into 4G. Android Auto worked, and when I stopped for dinner at the McDonald's my phone worked great. Could be a coincidence, but the 4G setting may have helped.

Screenshot_20230123-165631.png

Screenshot_20230123-165815.png

Thank you I've pulled the sim, power cycled, reinstalled the sim, and set preferred network type to LTE. We'll see if that helps. 

Screenshot_20230123-085145.png

I don't know how to report this other than calling in.

Typically operators know where the trouble areas are. The problem in GVA is getting approvals for macro installations. It's very difficult with NIMBYs.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

I would try removing the sim turn the phone off and then back on and then reinstall the sim to try and force a preferred roaming list update. try and disable the 5g radio to see if there is an improvement. change the preferred network type to LTE/wcdma only and disable auto which includes 5g. you can also ask customer support to reset the network on their end. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Thank you....you've taught me well. Then that leads back to the OP's question? How would one report this issue to telus?

@darlicious yes, that right.

110729 is the old Huawei eNB. Samsung eNB is 210729.

It's definitely Samsung. Telus does not use Ericsson for macro sites. They use Samsung in their urban markets, and another vendor in some rural markets. I'm sure you can guess who.

Typically azimuths would not change on a swap. Coverage should be similar to before. My suspicion is buggy Samsung software, or improperly configured parameters on those sites. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Oh I get it now....thank you! This is immensely helpful. So the "decommissioned" tower info for #110729 is the Huawei equipment first "seen" or installed at varying times starting around 2014 and last "seen" in October 2022. Between about mid-October and the beginning of December the Huawei equipment has been replaced by Samsung equipment (is this an assumption or is there an indicator that its Samsung rather than Ericsson?)

As far as the directional signal why does it appear that the Huawei equipment appears to have transmitted its signal 360° while the Samsung equipment appears to have gaps in coverage mostly to the south and southeast? Is this related to the Samsung RAN quality you mentioned  or just the new configuration (azimuth?)

Thank you....I appreciate you letting me pick your brain! 😀🤓🤔

Ok I had a look. There's one macro (BC0157) by the Esso at 158 St... Other than that there are no macros to the west until the apartment building rooftop at Whalley Blvd (BC0468). That's 4.7km in an urban environment, which is not ideal, but if you're getting full signal bars, maybe that's not the main issue.

Both sites appear to have been swapped from Huawei to Samsung in Nov 2022. I see all the 4G and 5G bands active.

It's possible there's issues with the Samsung config. I've heard there's been lots of headaches with Samsung RAN quality.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Thank you! You're awesome! 😁

No problem, I'll check on Monday when I'm back at work.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Of course I am probably using the wrong terminology to describe the situation. But on the map with the tower I was referring to it lists the 4G LTE tower as "decommissioned" but shows the 5G network info.....so I have interpreted that as they have taken over the tower for exclusive use of the 5G network supported by the existing 4G LTE infasructure or as you say for 5G NSA.

You tell me.....if I have read the tower info and processed it correctly? It's the only way I can learn whether or not I am understanding it correctly or not? Tower ID #110729

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260

I would be very surprised if Telus is decommissioning 4G.

4G is pretty much mandatory from a deployment perspective.

There is no 5G SA on Telus currently, so they must have 4G in order to support 5G NSA.

That's exactly it, if seems we're getting hit from both ends! And that giving PM VoLTE would solve one of these problems and significantly contribute towards solving the other (by removing our reliance on 3G they can start redistributing it to 5G).

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

An advantage here and with the New West comment not long ago is that the problem is repeatable, not intermittent. Tech folks love repeatability. It means things can be tested on it.

Further to the comments from darlicious, it will be interesting to see what happens to phones with further shutting down of 3G as with 2G. No more. These new phones can't drop down to 2G anymore.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

In my simplified understanding ( @sheytoon has a great thread explaining 5G) currently until the next spectrum auction most deployment of the 5G network requires a 4G LTE partner. Telus and bell have been selectively decommissioning both 3G and 4G LTE towers to do this.... this is based on two factors: to affect the least amount of customers losing or with diminished signal strength and to reach the maximum amount of customers (and the customers with the highest ARPU=5G plans). Unfortunately for prepaid customers without VoLTE we are hit with the double whammy of needing the 3G network for a core service (voice calling) and without the ability to use the 5G network.

For me with my pixel 3 & 4 I do not get the latest update and my devices are not 5G capable so in that particular area my devices will switch automatically to the 3G network for data and texts. But with the latest update a 5G capable device (pixel) will not automatically switch if it can detect a 4G LTE or 5G signal. It also limits your ability to manually choose the network mode of the 3G and 2G networks. It will automatically switch to the 3G network for voice calls however because VoLTE is not enabled for pm customers.

Occasional is fine. This has been a consistent experience for months, in a very populated area with historically great service. I can see the tower, that's how close it is. 

Interesting, that's the exact area of the zone (except I'm affecting along Fraser highway). So in other words a Telus customer wouldn't notice because they have access to 5G? Is this going to be a new thing (shutting down 4g towers)?

I always keep my phone's firmware up to date, so no issues there. 

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I occassionaly have the same issue here in the Toronto, ON area -- I think that it's just an occasional issue no matter where one is. Reporting the problem would be just a waste of time.

Sure you can,  @darlicious 

The 🐈 can drive. 

🤪

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

You may get farther with telus than pm....especially if you are already a home subscriber. I can't test myself but I bet @gpixel could do a drive by along with a few others that live out that way and report the dead zone themselves.

Edit:

There is a 4G LTE dead zone basically south of the highway between 156th and 160th with a decommissioned 4G LTE cell tower being used for 5G (currently most 5G has to piggyback on 4G LTE). The dead zone is serviced by the 3G network so I suspect your phone is not dropping down to 3G because it's still recieving 5G signal using 4G LTE but as a pm customer you cannot use 5G but your phone doesn't know that it's just sticking with the best available network it can recieve......similar to your 2G network problem in the US. The latest software update for pixel devices has not served you well in this regard?

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane  I suppose one could also call Telus up and let them know seeing as it’s same towers used for all 3 tiers of service .

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Here's how to reach support to report this,  @DennyCrane 

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Interesting. We recently had someone commenting on not being able to use hotspot in New West but fine elsewhere.

Of course the only people to notify is support.

Need Help? Let's chat.