cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What carriers does Public use in the US

GH123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just signed up for the Canada US plan what carriers does Public use in the US and does the phone automatically select these carriers when in US

5 REPLIES 5

colleeno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Both my husband and I have Canada-US plans and our recent experience during 2 day trips to Michigan in the last two weeks was that we didn’t have to do anything. Our two iPhones (12 and XR) connected to AT&T automatically. We could also connect manually to Verizon. And, finally, we also did not receive the multiple texts from PM telling us about US roaming add-ons when we crossed the border; last year, we would receive sometimes 6 or 7 of them in quick succession. You may receive that PM text but you can ignore it if you have a Canada-US plan or have already purchased the US roaming add-on. 

Also, remember to have roaming toggled on in your settings. You can leave it toggled on all the time whether you’re in Canada or the US because PM’s plans are prepaid and you will never get billed for roaming.

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

PM uses T-mobile and AT&T. Some have said Verizon is a new partner but my wife was just in Florida a week ago and it would not work. When going to the US make sure you have your data roaming turned on. As for which network to use, it all depends on your location relative to signal strength so if you are find T-mobile is not working well change your network settings so it's not on Automatic and select AT&T or vice versa. Calling, texting and data should be good to go with no additional charges

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GH123 T-Mobile and AT&T

automatic network setting generally is sufficient  but sometimes it might not work.so be prepared that you might need to manually change it

also you might want to change the network type to 4G /LTE instead of 5G for more stable connection

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@GH123 

it should connect automatically to either AT&T or T-Mobile...if not, you may have to do that manually.

Need Help? Let's chat.