cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird data bug

Micov
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, my GF is with public mobile as well. She has a weird bug where after 6 days most of her data is used up. We have been at home since last night and she had wifi all night and so did I. However, for some reason her phone uses some data while being om wifi. Se just received the notification saying she used 75% of her data this morning. Most of her apps/system program apps that aren't necessary to the phones proper functioning are turned off. She really doesn't use her data much and yet it gets used up in 6 days. Is public Mobile's data counting program glitched? Or maybe a recent update suck up her data on her phone. She has a moto one action with the 25$ 1gb plan

9 REPLIES 9

bayard0

does she do a lot of texting & sending MMS? cuz MMS I think uses Data.

schwing

hey Micov. What could be happening is a settimg in your wi-fi network settings is the dual channel network acceleration setting. check to see if that is on as it combines wifi and mobile data to optimize data transfers.  Let me know if that helps.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

1. Do you have dead spots in your wifi. 

2. Turn off data when using wifi.  

3. Reset your phone counter upon new allotment 

4. Check your My Account.....how much data is left?

5. Check your data usage by app and react accordingly 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Turning off background data usage will not stop ALL apps to connect to Internet if they see it is available.

Having data on all the time without unlimited internet just asks for trouble. Personally, I activate data only when I need it and never ever had any issue being without data.

Check data usage on your account through PM web site using computer and determine when data is used the most.

If the phone has the data limiter on then maybe the phone thinks it hit the limit. The phone needs to be set to the renewal date every other month.

The data limiter is good for those providers that charge overages. That's not the case here. Data will just stop. No overages.

Micov

Also, she has it on all the time but she set a limit. Also, the wifi failsafe option. Isn't on but most of the time she had wifi. She has wifi at home, at the college and even at most of her friends

Micov

Yes, but I deactivated all system operation apps from ever accessing data one by one manually. All she has is her messenger that is allowed to use data and a few systems operating apps. When she received the notification of her data consumption she had an active working wifi connection. I had checked. I wonder if maybe for some reason it uses wifi and her data at the same time 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Does she leave the mobile data on all the time? Is the phone using the data limiter setting? Is the wifi failover option on?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Micov , when problems like this arise, customers would like to blame Public Mobile data counter error.  However, the system is legal tender so to speak.  By chance is the WiFi disconnecting and mobile data taking over from time to time.  You should be able to review the mobile data usage on an app basis and find out which app is the offending party.  You should have an option to turn off background data for the app which should help to alleviate the problem.  Note that if the app is a chat app, then turning off background data will prevent incoming messages from being received unless the app is opened.  

Need Help? Let's chat.