cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Signal

weikaiyang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently moved to a new area, which is in Richmond Hill and just a 10 minute drive from my original house. However, I noticed that the signal at my new house is significantly worse than where I used to live. Does anyone know why the signal is much weaker when I didn't even move that far away? Is there a way that I can solve this or speak to someone from Public Mobile about this issue?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

10 minute drive could be a huge difference in coverage, especially when you are measuring in an indoor environment. Every location is different. You should find the best carrier for your location. Having said that, Bell and Rogers have excellent site density in York Region.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@weikaiyang 

If after considering the above information you still wish to speak with a Public Mobile representative, they are called Moderators and can be reached by one of 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@weikaiyang ,

As @computergeek541 asks, do you have any service issues? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you went from 4 bars to 1-2 bar just 10 minutes away, it may be concerning to see, but you really just need to be concerned if you have 'zero' bars.

When you make a call or when a call comes in you will likely see the bars increase, so no effect to service.

If you go to Mobile Network Connections on your phone you may be able to change the setting to help you see more bars, but again, only being concerned if there are no bars.

esjliv_0-1613253716040.png

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@weikaiyang :To contact Public Mobile customer service you must click white bubble in bottom right or click envelope button top left and write to Moderator Team, they can take your feedback and escalate it.

You can also post feedback here on this forum for other customers to see too.

Who knows how long it takes to solve your reception problem, but at least people will know about it.

@weikaiyang 

As @computergeek541 has mentioned it could very well be the consruction materials, surrounding buildings, large trees or your local topography affecting your signal. There are many well spaced bell/telus towers in Richmond hill. Tap on the cell towers on the interactive map to see the bandz, azimuth and elevation/height that could be affecting your ability to recieve a signal. Toggling airplane mode on/off could get you a better connection to the network.

Screenshot_20210401-212857~2.png

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@weikaiyang 

You may also notice the signal is low when in 'stand by' mode, however when on an active call, the signal bars may increase.

The phone rests on LTE or 4G (usually). This service only does voice on UMTS or 3G. So the phone flips to that when calling.

Bars depend on proximity and power of the LTE or UMTS towers near you.

@weikaiyang wrote:

I recently moved to a new area, which is in Richmond Hill and just a 10 minute drive from my original house. However, I noticed that the signal at my new house is significantly worse than where I used to live. Does anyone know why the signal is much weaker when I didn't even move that far away? Is there a way that I can solve this or speak to someone from Public Mobile about this issue?

Your signal is different there because ou're in a different place in a buidlign that uses different construction material.   How do you know that the signal is signifiantly worse?  The signal metter is reporting a relative network signal strength, but a lower reading does not necessarily mean that the signal is worse there.

Your phone could now be connecting to a higher MHz frequency than before, a frequency that your phone may not have been avaialble where you before.  So, a lower reading can actually mean that signal is better where you are now.

Are you having any issues with your service?

Need Help? Let's chat.