cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want the new $30 plan?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

The latest promo https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotions/30for1GB-3G is only available to new customers BUT you can have it for $10 if you are willing to give up your phone number. Just turn off autopay on your current acount, get a new SIM, and activate a new account with a different email address.

If you can justify the expense, retaining your current number requires porting out your current number to another carrier, then porting back to a new PM account. Not likely worth it. Robot Frustrated

BTW: that promo price is for 30 days. There is no saving opting for 90 days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
10 REPLIES 10

@Freddyfazwrote:

Thanks for explaining. If the promos are going to be new customers only I don't think PM is going to be a long term solution for my needs. Time to start shopping again..Zoomer??

I look around pretty regularly and outside promos Public Mobile is usually the best deal at the low end of the market. No one comes close to 75-6 for autopay=$69 for 90 days provincial calling, unlimited texting.

If someone wants a truly emergency only calling/text plan then https://www.speakout7eleven.ca is the place to go. Noone offers a cheap plan with bit of each calling/texting/data.

If someone needs a bit of everything the only option is PM's 250 meg data plan (20-2=$18/30 days) combined with fongo.com for calling and a texting app.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Freddyfazwrote:

Thanks for explaining. If the promos are going to be new customers only I don't think PM is going to be a long term solution for my needs. Time to start shopping again..Zoomer??

I think both chatr and lucky offer $10/month auto pay rewards for 8 months. Could Bevan option

Freddyfaz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is quite the strategy change from when I joined.  This works if there was a loyalty department so the existing customers can grovel over there.

@Freddyfaz Did a bit of looking around and Zoomer mobile will activate an $18 plan with a no charge SIM. So now your cost to keep your phone number on the new PM plan would be $28 + tax; plus the aggro of course.

I am in exactly the same position as you. The new PM only does targeted promos for new activations. Robot Frustrated

@Korthwrote:

@wetcoasterwrote:

Because Public Mobile doesn't let you "port" your Public Mobile phone number to a new Public Mobile account anymore. 

PM's explanation to us for why this can't be done anymore seems reasonable enough.

But before condemning PM for disallowing this, I ask how many other carriers do allow this?

That was a neutral statement.

I have an inkling that Public Mobile discontinued this goodwill gesture because too many people, most on the Fall 2016 promo, asked for it. Because it's not automated and needed moderator intervention the cost was likely too high. Plus, in retrospect looking at current events, anybody loosing their Fall promo because they ported out their number would fit right into the "new philosophy", no?

As to your question - I've only ever been on prepaid or prepaid-like plans and have never been in the situation to try a in-carrier port.

@wetcoasterwrote:

Because Public Mobile doesn't let you "port" your Public Mobile phone number to a new Public Mobile account anymore. 

PM's explanation to us for why this can't be done anymore seems reasonable enough.

But before condemning PM for disallowing this, I ask how many other carriers do allow this?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What a joke...maybe their new slogan should be "Choose sad".

@Freddyfazwrote:

I've been on the 1.5GB/90 day plan for about 5 months waiting for a promo with a higher data bucket. Any reason why I would have to port out then back in? I.e. why can't I port to a new account with this plan to keep my number?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-Takeover-my-12-gb-3-month-120-3mth-p...

So, if you wanted to keep your number you would need to port it to another carrier and then port it back to your new account with Public Mobile.

Freddyfaz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been on the 1.5GB/90 day plan for about 5 months waiting for a promo with a higher data bucket. Any reason why I would have to port out then back in? I.e. why can't I port to a new account with this plan to keep my number?

Need Help? Let's chat.