cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall phone

Sonj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My folks have a old-fashioned corded wall phone that runs through a ZTE box, which has a SIM card in it, currently with Rogers. Will this box work with Public Mobile? If yes, anything I should know before switching them to PM? And how to switch over without being able to get the confirmation texts? TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Or port the number over to a PM sim that is in a cell phone, and when port complete, put SIM into ZTE box. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Sonj wrote:

My folks have a old-fashioned corded wall phone that runs through a ZTE box, which has a SIM card in it, currently with Rogers. Will this box work with Public Mobile? If yes, anything I should know before switching them to PM? And how to switch over without being able to get the confirmation texts? TIA!

I also used to have Rogers Wireless home phone for my home line, and have since switched it to a cheaper VoIP based service, but I have also unlocked both a Rogers-supplied ZTE WF720, and a Koodo-supplied ZTE-WF721. Both required calling the original carrier (Rogers & Koodo) to get the 16 digit unlock code to use SIM cards in it from another carrier.

Since the wireless home phone is "technically" a mobile number, PM will likely initially try to authorize the port the usual mobile-to-mobile way by sending a verification SMS to the losing line, but since it can't receive SMS, you'll have to send a private message to @CS_Agent  to request they authorize the port some other way, via information verification. Even with that it may take a few days for the port to complete.

Here were my notes to unlock a WF720:

Connect WF720 with a landline phone, then pick up the receiver and dial * 9 8 3 * 8 6 * xxxx # (XXXX means 16 digits unlock code) 

** Please note that when I did this in mine, I heard a single confirmation tone. I rebooted the unit with a Public Mobile SIM and the signal strength light went from blinking red (invalid SIM) to solid green (full signal). 

Good luck!

(Thanks for the bat-signal @Grinch 😁)

Grand_Total
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In a case such as this I would expect an email from PM with an expected date for the port to complete. I'd also expect the losing carrier (Rogers) to email saying that the number has been ported out (and to contact them immediately if you did not authorize that).

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A public mobile Sim will work. I use one too. You need it unlocked if not already. Try a Telus, PM, or Koodo SIM and see if it works or not. I got an unlock code for my old one, but is very complicated process. I sold it to someone that did not need it unlocked. Or buy another one on Market Place or Craigslist that has been running on  Koodo or Telus. There is a real pro here on those ZTE boxes....just can't recall is ID.  Maybe someone else can advise you. Or look at the current Koodo deal and work it for a year and then move on to PM. <=== Don't, just looked, the plan has changed. And it's portable. We don't exceed the usages using the $15 plan.  And $15 is expensive as I know a few people that have Telus wired phone service for zero or $5 on a permanent agreement. I like the ZTE and. PM arrangement......both ZTE and phone sets are battery backed up, no wifi or electricity dependency  during stormy days, unlimited inbound and Canada Wide calling. @Nezgar <== ok I remembered, try him. 

Note my signal is weak but it works flawlessly. Bounces 1-3 bars. Point being you might want to check the signal strength vs Rogers for the location in question. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The Rogers box will need to be unlocked, see this link... EDIT: link was already posted by @Chalupa_Batman, lol

Once unlocked everything should work fine, assuming your number can be ported over to PM, as mentioned by @Handy1.

Hey @Handy1 

I don't think it has anything to do with the number per say. I think the ZTE box may be locked to Rogers and may require a 16 digit code to unlock it. Then the OP should be able to use it for PM. I have been actually looking into this myself as I have a ZTE box that I just had unlocked. I've been wanting to test it for a while but...   now I have that itch again to try. LOL

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Sonj 

Here's a post that may help you. You may need a 16 digit code to unlock it. Rogers may supply it??

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/ZTE-721-on-PM/td-p/631515

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Sonj  Should. Be fine first check that the number can be ported 

Check to see if # can be ported

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

if it can just know that it can take 3-5 days up to a week for the land line to port number over to PM . Just having to check phone each day until it’s has successfully transferred . Since you cannot reply YES to a confirmation text to port 

Need Help? Let's chat.