cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Calling

Sherbert1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, is thier a way to get around the wifi calling feature? I need to have this feature for work. I work in a metal building and when I was with telus I had wifi calling and everything worked great and I have now been with PM for a good two year and the past 6months my phone will not work in my office and I am now having issues at home with calls being dropped and people not hearing me. It is so annoying and I do not want to go back to telus or any other provider. So I am hoping someone knows of something else I can do. Also it is not my phone I have had it looked over. This is definitely the WIFI calling issue I need to fix. 

Desperate 

Sherbert

18 REPLIES 18

smurfit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am using fongo and textfree apps to forward my missed or unavailable calls over wifi. Textfree also has visual voicemail.

You can forward texts on Android using free sms forwarder on fdroid.

MountainMaxMan2

that's awesome, which app? there are 2 i see, one is called second phone, the other call+text

HI @Sherbert1 

the VoIP app TextNow is FREE  🙂

yes,l TextNow will give you a 10 digits number, like any number

you can then unconditional forward to the new TextNow phone number (for now, only unconditional forwarding works on PM system, other conditional forwarding is not working)

all calls will then ring on TExtNow app and you pick up calls like usual using the app

The app would give you a new phone number altogether that you could forward your calls to. Texting can't be practically forwarded. At the end of the day you'd need to disable forwarding on your Public Mobile line, not just turn the app off. Outgoing calls from TextNow would come from your new number. Might not be practical for your use case of needing your phone number. 

Sherbert1

So I could download the app TextNow and forward my phone# to the app so all my calls will come through my app and then when I leave the office make sure to turn off the app?  Because I do also use my phone a lot with text messaging and me doing outgoing calls and I do not want to be charge extra ( but hey if I get charged extra  I can always have my bosses pay for it LOL

HI @Sherbert1 

another way is to use Unconditional forwarding

when you go to work,setup unconditional forwarding to VoIP app TextNow

but you need to disable it when you get off work (actually you can leave it on all time or ok if you forgot to disable , but t you will be using TextNow to answer calls  🙂

Sherbert1

yeah I do not what to leave but I need to be able to answer my phone in my office and talk to customers 

HI @Sherbert1 

there is always some "dead" spot for any providers.  If the provider is no good for your work, why spend more just to make it work.  I think you might have to go back to Telus for its Wifi Calling.  Or check with Koodo as well

Sherbert1

@maximum_gato       my phone is an iPhone 12 and wow that is lots of info. I am a bit tech savvy but not sure I totally understand everything you wrote.  I think you said I could purchase something from Amazon that might help me with my phone at work? (cell signal boost)  I do not know how to switch from different signals 3G 4G ETC  I don't even know where to look to see what signal I am on. What is YMMV?  I think I do have the dual sim because my boss has the same phone and he has two# and he is with telus. So I would have to say yes since February because I have been in this building for over a year and this just started happening to me. So can I un install int VoLTE in my phone 😁 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Sherbert1 

What is the make and model of your phone? Did this problem start to occur after February 22nd? If so and you have a VoLTE capable phone then it's likely related to the introduction of VoLTE for pm customers. 

Before February 22nd or the date that pm provisioned your account for VoLTE your phone would have used the 3G network  for voice calls.  It sounds like the building you work in impedes the 4G LTE signal.

As suggested by @DennyCrane  you time try switching to 3G only then check your signal strength by going to About Phone>>Sim card status>>Signal strength>>__dBm? For 3G you want to see -60dBm to -80dBm but you should still have no issues with a weaker signal down to -99dBm. Once you hit -100dBm or lower you will have issues or no service at all.

What's the difference in signal strength for both 3G and 4G LTE inside and outside your building and near a window or farther inside? If the signal outside is good the solution may be cell signal booster. Fairly easy to install and reasonable $100 to $200 on Amazon.ca.

Do you have a former telus phone? It was provisioned for wifi calling....does it still show wifi calling as provisioned and enabled on your phone? Strangely the bf was able to use wifi calling on his former telus wifi enabled Sonim XP-8 on our home wifi (w/telus) while his account services were suspended by pm. 

Take the time to do a little testing and experimenting to if a solution can be found. If not and given a compelling enough reason to have to port out your phone number especially if it's back out to telus you may be able to get a willing CSA to save your account+$$ rewards with a new phone # and port out your work phone # to telus if that's your only choice.  (But very YMMV!) Do you happen to have a dual sim phone?

@Sherbert1  "That will not work, my cell # is linked to my work. Unless I can forward my phone to robust?"  

I think Hairbag meant if you have good (robust) wifi then you could use a voip app and forward to that.  Presumably if wifi calling worked before it should be good enough for a voip app.  Some people recommend TextNow, I use Fongo.   Fongo is free so you can just try it to see if it does what you want.  If you need to get texts on it for 2FA though you would have to pay, otherwise regular incoming texts are free but not outgoing.  (Edited to add, as someone else noted, texts do not forward, just phone calls)

Sherbert1

yea it will not work. I am working in a metal building so I need the WIFI calling feature

Sherbert1

That will not work, my cell # is linked to my work. Unless I can forward my phone to robust?

Sherbert1

bummer I really hate that I might have to go back to telus just for wifi calling. But I will make my work pay for it because I am not paying all that extra money 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried to force your phone into 3G to see if that works any better? I would cycle 3G/4G/5G to see if any perform better than the other for calls at your work.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Sherbert1 

no wifi calling here at PM. If you have access to robust wifi during the day, consider downloading free voip app such as TextNow. You select a free Cdn phone number and you can text / talk for free using your wifi. Works perdy decent, I might add. I know it's not ideal, but it might be a viable option if you want to keep your PM account instead of going back to Telus. Oh...did I mention it's free ?!  😎

@Sherbert1 wrote:

Hi, is thier a way to get around the wifi calling feature? I need to have this feature for work. I work in a metal building and when I was with telus I had wifi calling and everything worked great and I have now been with PM for a good two year and the past 6months my phone will not work in my office and I am now having issues at home with calls being dropped and people not hearing me. It is so annoying and I do not want to go back to telus or any other provider. So I am hoping someone knows of something else I can do. Also it is not my phone I have had it looked over. This is definitely the WIFI calling issue I need to fix. 

Sorry, but there is no Wi-Fi calling at Public Mobile and no way to enable it.

Need Help? Let's chat.