cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE

ReallyPissedOff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone else seeing an HD symbol on their phone calls in the past month?  I first noticed it back on August 2nd.

Does this mean VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling is now active on PM?

28 REPLIES 28

@srlawren 

Landline was always quickly stated as 400 to 4000 hz. But even that is generous as most often the upper end was trimmed to about 3200 hz by carrier systems for inter office trunking. I am talking about decades ago though….

AE_Collector

Unfortunately, there's a fair bit of incorrect information in this message thread.  I don't blame the members here as I'm sure some of some of this stuff has been repeated many times on the internet. Something being said repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it correct. I remember some of the past bad information such as the SIM card's PUK being printed on the packaging of a Public Mobile SIM card (this isn't true), or that a data connection is required to receive messages over the emergency alert system (not true and this incorrect information was even repeated by large news agencies).

HD voice does not mean that VoLTE is being used. As others have stated, HD voices has been available for many years in Canada on HSPA-type networks, including being availiable at Public Mobile.  One of the first networks that I recall that had it was Wind Mobile, and back then, they didn't even have an LTE network.

I also concur that I've been using HD-Voice (with an HD icon) over 3G for years, its the AMR-WB (16khz wideband) codec, vs the usual AMR-NM (8Khz narrowband) that you're probably more used to hearing. With this codec, it's especially easier differentiate the sounds of "S" and "F" for instance.

You should hear the improved audio quality and see the HD icon when calling any other Telus Mobility, Koodo, or Public Mobile customer.  If you are in one of the Rogers brands, you get this when calling Rogers Wireless, Fido, Chatr, and probably brands like zoomer. With Bell, you get it with Bell Mobility, Virgin Mobile, Lucky. Not between carriers (yet - but if it ever happens, it's generally not something carriers are acting on with any priority...)

In addition to the "HD" icon (which I've even seen myself on blackberry devices back to the Z10, Q10, Z30!!!)  My old Galaxy S4 also supports it, via 3G.

There are MORE codecs available via VoLTE, including higher sampling rates, but this particular one has been supported by 3G networks for a very long time.

Agree with @srlawren and @will13am. Only way to confirm VoLTE is to see if you're on LTE during an active voice call.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Or OnePlus finally stopped playing the blame game with providers and worked with them to get their devices authorised for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling access.

@ReallyPissedOff even if they did, PM does not currently offer either of those features, so it would at present be irrelevant.

Some US carriers may have some branding/marketing "redefinitions" (think of how AT&T would call H+ as 4G and LTE-A as 5G, for examples), but as @will13am pointed out, HD Voice is simply a codec which can used over W-CDMA (3G) voice calls and has been for years. 

The reason you don't see it with a call to/from a landline is that landlines only transmit a very limited subset of the audible frequency range (I forget the specific range at the moment), so I believe the cellular network uses the lower-bandwidth non-HD legacy codec (the name of which also escapes me) when connecting to landlines.  @sheytoon please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ReallyPissedOff

Or OnePlus finally stopped playing the blame game with providers and worked with them to get their devices authorised for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling access.

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

OnePlus 8 - IN 2015 - North American version.

Which is odd, because they usually don't support VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling unless you edit the software.

Ergo, unless you've modified to OS on your phone, calls are "normal" 3G and not VoLTE.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff 

the technology is always change by network and location from the tower by area..

with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

.. and send us a screenshot.. 

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

That's not correct.

From Verizon's HD Voice FAQ...

"Is HD Voice the same as VoLTE?

HD Voice is a suite of services enabled by VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology. VoLTE delivers voice calls over the 4G LTE network instead of the traditional voice network, providing clearer, more natural sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network."

This makes sense, that's why my last call from a landline didn't show as a HD call.

When you are in the middle of a phone call, check whether you have a LTE connection or not.  That will settle it.  

ReallyPissedOff

Another article that shows HD Voice is LTE dependent.

https://www.androidauthority.com/volte-att-t-mobile-1148654/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff : Ok...keep testing 🙂 If you can make a call from a cellphone that does have volte then see if the phone switches down to 3G or if it stays on LTE.

ReallyPissedOff

That's not correct.

From Verizon's HD Voice FAQ...

"Is HD Voice the same as VoLTE?

HD Voice is a suite of services enabled by VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology. VoLTE delivers voice calls over the 4G LTE network instead of the traditional voice network, providing clearer, more natural sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network."

This makes sense, that's why my last call from a landline didn't show as a HD call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff : Well that settles that. An even better find from will13am.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff 

We learn from the other education of which we all become experts, from new technology..

for ‘High Definition’ voice calling.you can keep on in your device,

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff 

From Android OS, VoLTE symbol has been changed as HD in stock android. The HD symbol you are looking on the status bar is telling that you are using a VoLTE feature for calls. Actually in volte technology, you can get more crystal clear voice than other old networks. To say technically, high definition voice.

During voice calls, the connection always changes to 3G/HSPA, so how can this be VoLTE.  VoLTE means the call is taking place with a LTE/4G connection.  HD voice is just a higher audio codec.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3f42uq/hd_voice_vs_volte/

ReallyPissedOff

I didn't notice it, but I just made a call and the symbol is not there and it's not showing on the call log.

Leads me to believe they may be testing it before doing a full rollout.

ReallyPissedOff

Thank you for the info.

I spent 17+ years working in the industry, but a lot of people probably don't have my level of knowledge of understanding.

The more info we share the better educated we all become.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous : Nice find.

@ReallyPissedOff : Did you see this HD on your status bar as mentioned or for some reason just in the call logs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff 

From Android OS, VoLTE symbol has been changed as HD in stock android. The HD symbol you are looking on the status bar is telling that you are using a VoLTE feature for calls. Actually in volte technology, you can get more crystal clear voice than other old networks. To say technically, high definition voice.

ReallyPissedOff

OnePlus 8 - IN 2015 - North American version.

Which is odd, because they usually don't support VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling unless you edit the software.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ReallyPissedOff Can you share what phone you are using?

ReallyPissedOff

I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff : And what does your phone manual say that that means? Would you be willing to share whereabouts you are? Not specific even (other than Canada 🙂 )

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous : Again with interpretation. The OP is wondering if maybe possibly he's seeing some other activity. He would already be aware that those services aren't offered here. He's just seeing something on his phone and wondering.

@ReallyPissedOff : Is that HD or just H? And where do you see it?

@Anonymous @ReallyPissedOff 

maybe he/she do see it because public mobile run Telus network...

ReallyPissedOff

It shows an HD symbol on my call logs.  Both incoming and outgoing.

PM.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous : Again with interpretation. The OP is wondering if maybe possibly he's seeing some other activity. He would already be aware that those services aren't offered here. He's just seeing something on his phone and wondering.

@ReallyPissedOff : Is that HD or just H? And where do you see it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff 

No at public mobile not have that serivce yet....

Need Help? Let's chat.