cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE

mwandel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got this notification:

Public Mobile here! We've enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network.

To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE capable device and a VoLTE enabled network are required.

Your current device does not support VoLTE. Visit https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/phone-section#phone-start to purchase a compatible device. VoLTE capability is called out under "Phone Details > Check out the specs".

Ah, OK, so it's only US roaming that's affected (right?), and it must be that infamous "Whitelist" issue, because my phone is a Moto G Play 2021, and it does have VoLTE and it is set to enabled.  But just in theory, how would one get a carrier to recognize that?

33 REPLIES 33

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The VoLTE rollout is still ongoing and from what I have read over the past few weeks, has been a gong show.  @lubmar Can you post an image of this email message you received? Cut out or hide any/all addreses/names etc

Koodo seems to have a more detailed and lengthy list of VoLTE devices:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

And Telus has an online IMEI lookup tool to see if your handset is "compatible".  

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

No idea if Telus/PM are whitelisting per their conservative lists.  Only time will tell.

lubmar

got email saying that my device does not support VOLTE !

i have the A13pro that phone is supporting the VOLTE 

according to *#*#4636#*#* the VOLTE is not being "provisioned" ?

so Public doesnt like my phone and decided not to turn it on ?

Kristowhy

@dust2dust Their "list" is nothing but devices that Telus/Koodo have sold (present or in the past).  In terms of Moto in the past few years they have sold the G Power series, G Pure, One 5G Ace and the G Stylus 5G 2022.  The G Play 2021 was mainly sold via Costco in Canada or direct from Lenovo.

Which phone model did you get the incompatible text about?

@Kristowhy- I would firmly believe they're being maliciously selective on letting devices use volte. My phone can use volte as well and I also got that text. They don't seem interested in flipping the switch for me.

They should have turned on the option for everyone. If your phone can't use the feature for your phones reasons then too bad for you. If it can then goody for you. But no.

Kristowhy

@mwandel wrote:

I just got this notification:

Public Mobile here! We've enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network.

To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE capable device and a VoLTE enabled network are required.

Your current device does not support VoLTE. Visit https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/phone-section#phone-start to purchase a compatible device. VoLTE capability is called out under "Phone Details > Check out the specs".

Ah, OK, so it's only US roaming that's affected (right?), and it must be that infamous "Whitelist" issue, because my phone is a Moto G Play 2021, and it does have VoLTE and it is set to enabled.  But just in theory, how would one get a carrier to recognize that?

I have the same Moto G Play 2021 on both Koodo prepaid and PM and they both have the VoLTE option toggle (set to on of course).  

The device on PM is still unregistered for IMS and no text messages about compatibility or VoLTE whatsoever.

On the other hand, the Koodo G Play 2021 device was working with VoLTE for a few weeks and had IMS registration.  Calls setup super fast and sounded better and indicator stayed on LTE throughout.  Strangely enough the Koodo G Play 2021 handset lost IMS registration over the weekend and I'm back to regular HSPA/3G for voice calls again.  Grrr! 😠

So I too am wondering if Telus is whitelisting and it will become a PITA to get them to provision VoLTE with these supposed "incompatible" devices...according to their "list".

@gpixel 

At this point I don't really think that the claim in the text is credible for the majority of people who got it.

As mentioned elsewhere, it's from 5129. Besides the CCTS and 911 texts they have sent all kinds of "upgrade to 4G!" etc texts to that number.

There's a possibility that, like the CSAs who insist(ed) that you need to be on a 4G plan in order to get VoLTE, the brilliant people at the marketing team hope to catch some people unaware and get them to buy a new "approved" device despite not needing an upgrade.

I feel that the text is not much more than a rather pushy marketing device.

And yes, I'm sure that there are devices out there that have outdated or incompatible specs and are not VoLTE capable. I just think that those devices are likely in the minority of the bunch who is getting the text.

@wetcoaster 

that pretty much supports my claim. it seems Samsung phones are having the most issues with volte... or at least incorrect texts claiming they are not volte compatible. 

@hTideGnow   @XionBunny   Yeah, I think I'll just a wait a few more days to see what happens but I'm happy this rollout is making a difference for all the customers who have been experiencing problems for quite awhile now due to he deterioration of the 3G service.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Volte still working fine on my end, no calling issues thus far, seems every rollout here is always rough, lol, a small tip though go into the hamburger menu (three dots) once you type in that code looking at your phone info, and select "IMS service status" if it shows unregistered then it's not set up correctly on your account.

Hi @dabr are you using Android? Go to About , Status Information,  Sim card status .  The IMS is there too 

@hTideGnow    No I haven't done that yet as I've read doing so on some posts say it could cause other issues? 

I'm not really in any rush about having VoLTE but after receiving the text yesterday and then seeing 4G on the screen during calls, I thought it was enabled.   I guess the current calling issue may have something to do with it, but who knows around here.. 🤔

Hi @dabr did you check that *# code and see if IMS is enabled?

*#*#4636#*#*

But look like today some ppl have voice problem.  Not sure if it is related

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Now I'm really confused about this whole VoLTE feature.  Yesterday, my phone's screen displayed the 4G notice for calls but that is no longer happening.   There is no toggle switch either for VoLTE in my phone's setting. 

Will wait and see if this corrects itself over the next few days before contacting support, I guess..

@gpixel wrote:

@wetcoaster 

it's most likely detecting your friends previous device before the pixel 6a

@gpixel 

Nice line of thought. However, that was a newer hand-me-down Telus branded Samsung something or other (I want to say a S10?) that their relative used on Telus VoLTE. 

@wetcoaster 

it's most likely detecting your friends previous device before the pixel 6a

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Mister_E wrote:

I don't think they're detecting VoLTE capable devices quite right.

I'll have to check in tonight with my friend who just got a Pixel 6a from Best Buy. We talked about the PM VoLTE upgrade the other day, so I'm curious if they got/get the text too. While the phone is on the compatibility list, it's not a Telus branded device.

Yep, confirmed.

The Pixel 6a is on the list in the VoLTE help article, yes?!

4 year old SIM, brand new 6a, "unlocked" (ie no carrier affiliation). According to the SMS my friend received this morning, Public Mobile thinks it's not VoLTE capable.

The phone uses VoLTE on the $25 plan ever since the PM SIM was first inserted last week.

@Mister_E 

switch your umigidi sim into the a71 to confirm if volte works

Hi @Mister_E 

so Moto G Play works but not A71?

it is true some model compayible on Telus might not be compatible on PM.  I think someone has a iPhone 6S , confirmed VoLTE  working with Telus but not here

Mister_E

@computergeek541 wrote:

It's possible that VoLTE is enabled yet on this specific account.  it's not being done all at once.  

Good point.

Ironically, the Telus IMEI check lists the A71 as compatible and my other (VoLTE working) device as incompatible..

@Mister_E wrote:

Just confirmed on my third account/device (Samsung A71).

It DID NOT receive this SMS, and there isn't any indication of VoLTE being enabled on the Status bar, nor any options in its settings (as I previously indicated).

Voice network type indicates LTE in SIM status PRIOR to a call. However, the true test (calling and checking network status) shows the network switching from LTE to 4G in the status bar (and slower establishing a connection), but checking the SIM status, Voice network has switched to UMTS/HSPA+ - which is NOT VoLTE.

Some phone brands incorrectly classified HSPA+ as 4G (it's more like 3.5G, lol) as an upsell.

I'll have to dig into seeing whether or not I can enable VoLTE on this A71 (I've read that it can be enabled with a app) - just funny that it didn't receive the SMS and yet it definitely isn't currently using VoLTE.

It's possible that VoLTE is enabled yet on this specific account.  it's not being done all at once.  

Mister_E

Just confirmed on my third account/device (Samsung A71).

It DID NOT receive this SMS, and there isn't any indication of VoLTE being enabled on the Status bar, nor any options in its settings (as I previously indicated).

Voice network type indicates LTE in SIM status PRIOR to a call. However, the true test (calling and checking network status) shows the network switching from LTE to 4G in the status bar (and slower establishing a connection), but checking the SIM status, Voice network has switched to UMTS/HSPA+ - which is NOT VoLTE.

Some phone brands incorrectly classified HSPA+ as 4G (it's more like 3.5G, lol) as an upsell.

I'll have to dig into seeing whether or not I can enable VoLTE on this A71 (I've read that it can be enabled with a app) - just funny that it didn't receive the SMS and yet it definitely isn't currently using VoLTE.

@Mister_E wrote:

I'll have to check in tonight with my friend who just got a Pixel 6a from Best Buy. We talked about the PM VoLTE upgrade the other day, so I'm curious if they got/get the text too. While the phone is on the compatibility list, it's not a Telus branded device.

@dabr wrote:

@mwandel    So the VoLTE compatibility isn't really accurate..

Got the same text for my main line. Clearly my Umidigi Bison (Android 11) is compatible - I've been using it with VoLTE for a week, ever since that fancy symbol showed up on the status bar (I realise that not all phone don't have an indicator for VoLTE on their status bar... If my phone didn't it had likely been a while until I picked up on the fact that I have access to it).

This feels like an upsell  and/or just another example of poor wording. My Umidigi phone is LTE capable. It's just not on that list of "supported phones" (= phones sold by theTelus group).

The big question is: Are only the phones on the list whitelisted for VoLTE roaming? Hopefully people with an unlisted device will report back after a trip across the border? Please and thank-you!

Mister_E

I received that same sms on two different devices - yet one clearly has VoLTE displayed in the status bar and the other has HD displayed.  Both devices have VoLTE options in settings and enabled.

VoLTE is obviously working as calls placed are instantaneous, quality is noticeably clearer and the network stays on 4G/LTE (doesn't switch to 3G).  It's been enabled on both these devices since last week (Toronto area).

I've got a third account/device that I have to confirm with - it's a Samsung A71, but the VoLTE options are missing from settings (my understanding is that VoLTE is enabled by default on the A71).

Now bring on the WiFi calling and 5G...

@dust2dust   Yes, I tried both airplane mode toggle and then a restart.  It seems like the restart did the trick.

edit:  another thing, I'm quite sure Mobile Network State was disconnected (SIM status) before but it now shows connected.

@dabr- So if it was not working and then was, did you do anything special? Like airplane mode? Restart? Power off and on?

I also just got that text. Um...yes it is.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mwandel    Just got the same text from PM about VoLTE being enabled but my phone was incompatible which was also confirmed by checking on the Telus VoLTE compatibility test. 

However, after restarting and making a couple of calls, notice the 4G symbol pop up on the phone which was not there before so I guess my phone is compatible.  So the VoLTE compatibility list isn't really accurate..

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Some dial codes do not work with all android phones. For some phones the IMS status will also show in settings, about, status information, sim card status. If not there then it's not enabled.

The app VoLTE Check can find the IMS setting as well.

Adding - not necessarily. Check those fields when you make a call.

mwandel

It says "Data Network type: LTE" and "Voice network type: LTE".  So I guess I'm good, right?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mwandel , one way to check on an android device is to dial *#*#4636#*#*, navigate to phone information, IMS service status.  Alternatively for any device, make a call with WiFi turned off and see if the notification bar shows LTE or 3G.  

Need Help? Let's chat.