cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on 3G plan

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I have my iPhone data turned on, it is set on LTE, WiFi is turned off. I reset network settings, rebooted my iPhone, turned phone back off, removed sim card for a few minutes, put sim card back in phone & turned phone back on then tried calls again yet VoLTE still does not work! Calls drop to 3G when making calls!

CSA’s said that VoLTE is activated on my account but I was told by more than 1 CSA that it won’t work due to I don’t have a 4G phone plan!

Edited: For clearer explanation!

Edit: Update, March 20, 2023: 

My phone is an iPhone 6s. I just received another message from a CSA saying:

“Public Mobile here we received a ticket # for calls dropping from LTE to 3G unfortunately only IPhone 8 and up are supposed for Volte on our network, so your calls will show 3G. Thank you.”

So, even though my iPhone 6s worked for VoLTE with Rogers it is not compatible to work for VoLTE with Public Mobile yet was confirmed from Telus that this phone will work on the TELUS VoLTE network😕

Edit: Update, March 20, 4:10pm:

From a CSA: 

I checked the resolution of the ticket submitted to the technical team. VoLTE on iPhone 6s works on Telus postpaid and Koodo prepaid and postpaid but not on Public Mobile.

Public Mobile supports newer models (iPhone 8 and newer) for VoLTE. So if in the future you'll upgrade the phone, make sure to choose a model that supports VoLTE on our network.

I remain at your disposal.

Respectfully yours,
CS_Agent

Edit: Update: March 21, 12pm: I received a text message to my phone from Diane from Tech Support for information & troubleshooting. My call forwarding is now fixed!
Also, trying a new iPhone 14 Pro. My phone now stays on LTE when making calls even though it doesn’t say VoLTE on it! So, as many of you said…. I did not need a 3G phone plan for VoLTE to work for phone calls! Hmmm 🙄

134 REPLIES 134

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

congrats on getting things fixed, I don't think ill ever manage to convince them to solve the Volte issue on my end until they just decide to mass rollout.

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@XionBunny 

In some of my past experiences, when in need of help, I have found that there seems to be lack of updates to the CSAs....in other words, not up to date and not all on the same page. How that happens, I have no idea, but is not good for the customer, and is not good for an all online concept. 

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Update: March 21, 12pm: I received a text message to my phone from Diane from Tech Support for information & troubleshooting. My call forwarding is now fixed! Also, trying a new iPhone 14 Pro. My phone now stays on LTE when making calls even though it doesn’t say VoLTE on it!

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Sooo, I guess my Public Mobile experience got an upgrade! 🤣

@computergeek541 , thanks for sharing that info! Really good to know!

@hTideGnow wrote:

Thanks @computergeek541   for the info.  I guess I won't suggest this menu that often 🙂

I will admit to benig neat to look around in the hidden menu, and there are times to go in there (such as making sure that someone didn't set the devices to 2G-only or LTE-only).  I really did see a device that wouldn't connect to 3G networks because of teh *#4636#*#* settings, and the regular network menu gave no clue as to that, and the bad settings stuck even after a factory reset.  It's just that for the vast majority of users, there are seldom reasons to access the hidden menu, while going in there could add more confusion or incorrect settings (that are more details/complicated than regular menu settings) could potentially "break" the device.

Thanks @computergeek541   for the info.  I guess I won't suggest this menu that often 🙂

@gpixel wrote:

@hTideGnow 

• *#*#4636#*#* 

The hidden menu code is very interesting and I have used it in the past. However, I believe that most customers shouldn't be using this code (at least not most of the time).  Using this code can very much mess up the configuration of the phone that wouldn't get resolved even after a factory reset.  For example, I once saw an Android device in which someone had selected GSM only in the hidden menu (likely to save battery power) which actually overrode and setings set in the regular settings menu.  Also, IMS information in the hidden menu won't change whether the VoLTE works or not. The status of VoLTE can b see on the in-call screen that you've shown (assuming that VoLTE is avaialble at the moment of that call).

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @LitlLdy   maybe by then, we pay the same 3G speed plan and get 4G speed  🙂

@hTideGnow , wouldn’t that be awesome though? 🤣

Finding humour in all this mess! 😂

HI @LitlLdy   maybe by then, we pay the same 3G speed plan and get 4G speed  🙂

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I wonder…. Oh no, 🤣 All this has me thinking … If they will do away with the 3G Phone plans?  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM, @PublicMgr_Alex , @Melinda_H - Could you please clarify and verify whether or not Public Mobile is filtering devices that you will allow to use your volte service? If a device can use volte wherever else and lte works on the device here then surely to goodness customers should reasonably expect that their volte capable device will work here if the lte service works on their device as well. If you are filtering, then why? Just enable the option on all accounts and if the device can use it then away they go. Please, no filtering.

Respectfully yours,

customer

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Update: Another response back from CSA, (Keep in mind my phone isn’t broken/still works & no money to throw around to buy another phone just to be aloud to use VoLTE on Public Mobile)

VoLTE at Public Mobile is the newest within the Telus family. We do offer the option to purchase a certified pre-owned iPhone 8 for $189 but it's absolutely your decision whether you'll stay on our network.

As mentioned in the previous message, Telus (on postpaid services only) and Koodo on postpaid or prepaid services do accept iPhone 6s on VoLTE.

These are the existing options.

Respectfully yours,
Silvio_M
CS_Agent

XionBunny

You know from a support cost standpoint if they are indeed filtering it makes sense sadly, in order to keep the costs down, that's a big drawback for this provider if that's the case, even with the discounts offered, disappointing..

Further thought: my device is in the supported list however 

@dust2dust wrote:

I am certainly willing to grant that support doesn't get proper communication on new things. Which is certainly a bad thing. But they should not be asserting things that are demonstrably false. A customer lines up a bunch of evidence that goes contrary to what they're asserting. Oh. Let me go ask someone. Verify and clarify. Not just pulling lies out of some orifice somewhere and standing on it from your position of authority. That's all wrong.

Adding - hmm...and Silvio is a more senior agent.

@dust2dust , Silvio was the only one that didn’t say it won’t work due to I am on a 3G Phone Plan! But now it is blamed on my phone being 6s so even though I can use VoLTE on my phone with other companies I just can’t with Public Mobile!

Edit: I don’t include the CSA names to make them look bad or good, I do it so we all know who said what & how many provide different answers! This is how we learn & share our experience.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I am certainly willing to grant that support doesn't get proper communication on new things. Which is certainly a bad thing. But they should not be asserting things that are demonstrably false. A customer lines up a bunch of evidence that goes contrary to what they're asserting. Oh. Let me go ask someone. Verify and clarify. Not just pulling lies out of some orifice somewhere and standing on it from your position of authority. That's all wrong.

Adding - hmm...and Silvio is a more senior agent. That sucks if Public is doing compatibility filtering. If a phone can do volte then that should be that.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Update from a CSA: 

I checked the resolution of the ticket submitted to the technical team. VoLTE on iPhone 6s works on Telus postpaid and Koodo prepaid and postpaid but not on Public Mobile.

Public Mobile supports newer models (iPhone 8 and newer) for VoLTE. So if in the future you'll upgrade the phone, make sure to choose a model that supports VoLTE on our network.

Respectfully yours,
Silvio_M
CS_Agent

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @LitlLdy   since it said compatible there and we all know PM just using Telus system, I think your phone will work with VoLTE eventually.   

HI@XionBunny   yes, i was aware of the upselling of 4G plan.  not good, I know people tagged Community manager,  I hope with some "education", this will not happen again

@hTideGnow , possibly if they allow it but for now I guess Public Mobile is just the issue imposing the limits saying no all the reason they say it won’t work!

Not on a 4G Data Plan

iPhone 6s not compatible

I forget the other reasons!

I just want working phone service which to often it doesn’t work!

HI @LitlLdy   since it said compatible there and we all know PM just using Telus system, I think your phone will work with VoLTE eventually.   

HI@XionBunny   yes, i was aware of the upselling of 4G plan.  not good, I know people tagged Community manager,  I hope with some "education", this will not happen again

@hTideGnow- Um...that's what I said. Are you reading carefully? XionBunny went away and then came back...after Feb 22.

I have very little patience for support people misinforming and misunderstanding, in effect, lying about the product they're supporting. And I'm not talking about new things. And see LitlLdy's adventures with misinformation. It's ridiculously bad. User WilliamLu1166 is being told that calls dropping to voicemail will use minutes. No! But they are.

My S7 says it's compatible but when I put my volte US service sim in it, it does not show any indication of having volte. I put that sim in my main phone and poof there it is.

XionBunny

They actually have been lying and misinforming customers though, they specifically have been telling us only 4G plans are eligible for volte, when it's not true, and I activated after Feb 22nd and my volte access was not automatically granted, when I contacted them, they claimed first my pixel 6 isn't supported when it is, and second they started to tell me that I would need a 4G plan in order to use volte, thus they are misinforming customers in order to push them to the more expensive plans, so dust isn't really trying to come off abrasive, he's restating the obvious.

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @LitlLdy   some phone not make it on that list are also VoLTE enabled.

Check the Telus site and see if iPhone 6 is ok

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

@hTideGnow , I already checked before with Telus & checked again with your reminder. Which Apple Tech Support also verified it is compatible but also said it depends on if the company wants to allow it! Thank you for the reminder to look again.
It says “

Your phone is compatible.

This phone will work on the TELUS VoLTE network.

HI @LitlLdy   some phone not make it on that list are also VoLTE enabled.

Check the Telus site and see if iPhone 6 is ok

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

HI@dust2dust 

did you not read it carefully?

Customers who activated on the Public Mobile network after February 22, 2023 will automatically have their customer profile enabled with VoLTE (Voice over LTE). Customers who activated prior to February 22, 2023 will be enabled on VoLTE gradually over the next few months. 

There is no official announcement about VoLTE yet for existing customers, so we might be just jumping ahead while they are in the process to enable all of us.

honest, i think you are pressing too much on PM.   Just relax, no need to throw in "lying", "nonsense" .  I do agree there could be misinformation and misunderstanding, but everywhere is like this when new things are introduced.   We need more positivity here  🙂

@hycm53 wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have my iPhone Data on, set on LTE, WiFi off. Reset network settings & rebooted my iPhone yet does not work! Calla drop to 3g when making calls!

VoLTE is activated on my account but I was told by more than 1 CSA that it won’t work due to I don’t have a 4g plan!

Which iPhone do you have? I have iPhone 8 plus that set to LTE and today I made a call in Costco, the phone showed up LTE. And I asked the receiver how was the sound? The answer is much much better than before. My plan is a 3G plan.

@hycm53 , I can’t remember if I responded back to you! Sorry.

My phone is an iPhone 6s. I just received another message from a CSA saying “Public Mobile here we received a ticket # for calls dropping from LTE to 3G unfortunately only IPhone 8 and up are supposed for Volte on our network, so your calls will show 3G. Thank you.”

So, even though my iPhone 6s worked for VoLTE with Rogers it is not compatible to work for VoLTE with Public Mobile yet was confirmed from Telus that this phone will work on the TELUS VoLTE network😕

The problem for @XionBunny @hTideGnow is that they're entitled to have got volte by having activated after Feb 22. But yet more shenanigans from support that are supposed to somehow garner respect from customers. Not. There is way too much going on to give them respect. Lying, misinforming, misunderstanding. It's all too much accumulated nonsense to earn any respect. The senior agents are good because they know what they're doing. But you need to get to them and the junior agents like to block and deny access.

HI @XionBunny 

I agree.  if you are good with the voice for the moment, wait till summer time and look into VoLTE then.  Hope by then, PM has enabled everyone and fix everything

XionBunny

I've given up on talking to the reps about the volte issue for that very reason, I'm just happy I can use the phone at this point, I'll just wait it out till they fix everyone at once, cause the back end technicians at least know their jobs well enough.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Well, here’s an update! Ready for this? It keeps getting better! 🤣

As of Saturday I couldn’t make or receive phone calls! A recorded voice kept saying not in service when calling phone numbers or calling my number! I reset network settings, rebooted phone tried again same recording came on! I shut phone off, removed sim card from my phone for a few minutes, put sim card back in, turned on phone, tried calls again, nope! So, spent most of Saturday messaging CSA back & forth resetting/provisioning account & repeated steps with phone over & over. Call’s finally work again but…. Incoming caller ID missing from all calls I received! So, repeated troubleshooting 1st steps all over again! Caller ID finally works now after 2 days!

I’m having fun! VoLTE still not working but I should just be happy that my phone service works at all after all this! 🤣

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I tried to call forward a ZTE box from my Panasonic land line set today.....would not work. 

But if I dialled it first and then pressed talk, it worked. 

Need Help? Let's chat.