cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification codes go to old sim?

timmy6figures
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am having a weird bug where I cannot get verification codes by text using my new public mobile sim card.

when I put my old sim in, all of the codes get sent to my phone. This is not the case with texts from friends, which go through fine

It is the same number, just transferred, and only happens with microsoft pins, and public mobile pins

13 REPLIES 13

@Chalupa_Batman 

it’s usually what an OP doesn’t write that is the area that may need to be explored.

Typically, an OP writes about a related issue/problem driven by something they could or ought to have done differently to have prevented the second issue.

This is why so many of us ask questions which sometimes confuses an OP, and makes them wonder why we would ask in the first place – it’s just a step process working backwards to allow us to move forward.

Yes. The more you help others, you are rewarded with $$ towards your phone bill. 🙂 But sometimes a lot of answers have no relevance to the original post which makes me laugh. But I just happen to be at my computer and refreshed the page so I answered with what I thought was a solution to your problem. However, well, we already figured it out. lol

timmy6figures

Is there any incentive to helping others on the community? People seem to respond crazy fast! I'm not complaining, it's just very different to what iv'e seen from other communities

The most important thing, our community came through and helped you. That's what matters most. 🙂 

timmy6figures

Yes, you are correct. When I made this post, I didn't realize that I had missed the text, and so didn't think it may be a porting issue

Yes @MetaMorpheusMob I saw that. But it never said anything about a Rogers SIM card. It read as an "older" card meaning it could have been a Public Mobile SIM card and he just replaced it. The lack of context was the issue.

It wasn't until I saw this...

"It turns out I MISSED the text from my old carrier wanting to transfer my number. How would I go about requesting the transfer again? "

Then I  figured it was a porting issue. Once again, detailed information in the OP is needed. This lacked it. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

This original post said nothing about porting over from Rogers. Hence the reason I gave my answer. Or nothing about porting in general. The "Labels" have nothing to do with porting.  Geesh. 

timmy6figures

It was Rodgers. I'm trying to call them right now, but am on hold

timmy6figures

It turns out I MISSED the text from my old carrier wanting to transfer my number. How would I go about requesting the transfer again? 

Were you planning on porting (moving) your number from the old provider to Public Mobile @timmy6figures , or is it your intention to utilize a different number here?

If you are canceling the old service, make sure the port to Public Mobile is complete before requesting to cancel the prior service otherwise you won't be able to port here from there.

To port here, you can Change Number on your Public Mobile self-serve screen (choose moving a number from another provider option).   Have the old provider account number on-hand while doing it, then put the old provider SIM card in your device, wait for the port authorization text, reply "YES" to it, then place your Public Mobile SIM card back in the device, reboot the device, (turn off, then on), and the port should complete relatively quickly.

timmy6figures

Yes, I am still able to use the old sim perfectly fine. It seems at this point they both work for call and text

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @timmy6figures  If your 6 digit code is going to your old SIM then you want to have the code sent to your email. Then you can get into your account and change things so it works properly.

How to receive 2FA code via Public Mobile Phone app

Download the app via WiFi and sign in using the email you signed up with.

KennethJAdams_0-1692471548129.png

Click on the Didn’t get the code? Before you do though, check the box on This is a trusted device so you never have to be asked for the 2 step again on the phone.

The next window that comes up is this.

KennethJAdams_1-1692471548070.png

You can choose either Send Email which will go to the email you registered with or Send Voice Message meaning it will call your number and ask you to push buttons. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@timmy6figures 

for some reason, 2FA codes from institutions are delayed a few days when porting from one carrier to another.

Give it a week and all should be smoothly working.

I should add – do you have any services at all using your old Sim card?

Can you text or call on it?

If so, the porting has not fully completed yet as the old SIM card would be unuseable once the port has completed to public mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.