cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VONR support at 5G SA network

diams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can someone tell me do we have 5G SA implemented with public mobile? 

Also does VONR (voice over 5g) supported already? 

If none, any plans?

15 REPLIES 15

The problem wasn't with standards. It was with phone manufacturers and operators disabling VoLTE for certain devices.

Hopefully the industry has learned its lesson, but that doesn't mean all operators will launch with VoNR on day 1. In fact Telus already launched with EPSFB.

diams

Surprise to you. Correct. VOLTE is not a part of original LTE standard. It came late on as a work around. Even more. The implementation of volte in different countries and even different operators could be diyand not completely compatible. This is a big mess now. 

So hopefully VONR , which is a part of 5g sa at thr very beginning, will clear this mess.

Why do you say VoLTE was a workaround? What do you mean VoNR is embedded by standard? What standard are you referring to?

It's a joint decision by operators and phone manufacturers to certify VoLTE in the phone software.

diams

It's a big difference feature and work around. Vonr is embedded by standard. VOLTE it's work around problem came out. That's is the reason why operators so limiting the phones models to allow to use it.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

VoNR is a feature on the network. It's not mandatory for SA and the launch timelines will be different. EPSFB will be the initial method for voice calls.

NSA is generally available to everyone. The reason for limiting the number of SA subscribers at the beginning is to reduce the impact in case something goes wrong. The 5G core is extremely complex and it's standard practice for all operators to scale up traffic while identifying and resolving issues.

diams

The only hope is the VONR is the embedded in original 5G SA standard. Not like VOLTE, which is just work around over 4G

Also it look very suspicious to divide users for SA and not SA. 

It's just another provisioning item for each account. Bring provisioned for SA means you are allowed to register and get service on the 5G core network.

HI @sheytoon 

what is a SA subscription? is this simply means anyone who has 5G plan? or some special plans by invite at the moment?

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@diams I think softech covered it already. Telus has not enabled SA yet for PM. I doubt it will be this year. They usually launch new services on the Telus brand first, then Koodo/PM after a few years.

VoNR is still in the testing phase. SA coverage isn't good enough so all calls are on EPSFB if you have an SA device with an SA subscription on Telus.

As for 3G, it'll be around for many more years @Phil_Adelphus. At least until 2027, but my guess is maybe even beyond then.

diams

I spoke with pm many times in regard of volte for any OTHER model not listed here. Nope, they will not provision any other phones, even it is support volte. Just because they don't want it to. 

So its is exactly by model's listed. Which is about none, compare how many different brands and phones people can have. 

@diams  Around 25 models you calling most of the main brands? You are kidding me. 

Not exactly what I said, I said most of the main brands newer models.   Not all the phones that are VoLTE enabled are necessarily listed there, especially consider that many that are listed are "and above".  For whatever reason the list doesn't get updated from that point. 

diams

Around 25 models you calling most of the main brands? You are kidding me. 

And yes, in USA it total disaster. I am using 2g during the call and no Internet at all

@diams   I'd be surprised if 95% of users don't get VoLTE on PM, it covers most of the main brand newer models including all iPhones from 8 up.  If the Canadian 3G sunset turns out to be end of next year as predicted nobody will be using 3G!   Customers without VoLTE phones are already having problems roaming in the USA because of the 3G shutdown there.

diams

This is very sad news. Always way behind. 

And yes, the whitelisted list of phones PM allowed yo have VOLTE is so small, so it doesn't make any sense, and indeed in 95% pf users it will be still 3g calls with Internet going down significantly in the speed 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@diams 

At the moment , PM only using VoLTE and 3G for voice.  

VoNR and EPSFB are only applicable to 5G SA, which is not launched by Telus. yet 

I guess @sheytoon can add more on this topic and update us with what is coming 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.