cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Canada-US plan in the States

krichardson100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the 50GB Canada-US plan. Is there anything I need to do in advance in order to use the plan in the United States?  Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

HackBetty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Nothing extra needed. You use your same phone. Just make sure that you have Data Roaming turned on.

c_a_v

Nope just use your phone a you normally would. you might just have to select a network if it dosen't connect automatically. 

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RayParker - Please contact CS_Agent for help:

⬇️  Click the link for an Agent * ⬇️

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/xYpc_I

If the link above doesn’t work correctly, please go here to create a ticket to CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

* - CS_Agent will typically get back to you within 48 hours. * CS_Agents are at load due to iMessage activation issues so it may take longer than 48 hours. * They work 7 days a week from 9 AM to 10 PM EST.  You will be required to login to your Public Mobile Community Account to contact CS_Agent. Once you are finished making the ticket with CS_Agent, please ensure that you monitor for one of the agents responding back to you because they may notify you asking for some information via Private Message, in your mailbox by clicking this link here: Messages

RayParker

I am currently in the US  on my Canada United States, 60 gig plan and connection very sketchy. Manually go to AT&T, sometimes T-Mobile, 5G not working at all, have to go to 4G LTE and even that falls off line. terrible service here.

@krichardson100 

it's not on the PM volte "whitelist"....but if it stayed on LTE when you dialed local call w/o wifi... it makes calls over LTE rather than 3G.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/volte

krichardson100

not sure how to determine if my phone is volte-compatible. It's a Samsung A32 5G.

krichardson100

I'm trying to determine if my phone (a Samsung A32 5G) is volte-compatible; I don't see a choice for volte under mobile networks, but I do see 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM.  And, I did successfully do your test of calling a local number with wifi turned off, seeing that the LTE indicator stayed on.  Am I good?

jc2024

Thank you very much, I am relieved now.

fixin

@jc2024 - No roaming add-on needed for the Canada-US plans.

You can go whenever you want.

No extra cost or anything needed to do in My Account.

You have one bucket of 60GB per month in Canada and the States with data, talk & text capabilities while roaming in the states, and you can stay for as long as you want.

Turn On data Roaming in your phone's cellular settings to use your data in the states. If you don't have it enabled you won't be able to use data in the states. 

If enabled: You will see "Carrier Name (T-Mobile) (AT&T)" then the bars and LTE or 5G.

If disabled data roaming in phones cell settings: "Carrier name (T-Mobile) (AT&T) then bars.

jc2024

Do I need to buy a separate cell phone to use this Canada-USA plan? Or my current one in Canada is fine to use? Thank you.

jc2024

Hi, your #1 point, does that mean I have to do an add-on service for data-roaming and pay extra? Right now I have Canada-USA plan with 60GB data and talk and text, having the same worries. Do I have to pay for data roaming before I can "turn it on"? Thank you.

fixin

@Chalupa_Batman - Yeah! But that is funny! The highway I will be going on after the border I only get AT&T service, not T-Mobile.

But Public Mobile must be doing something like one phone on AT&T and one phone on T-Mobile.

But I am happy you abused it like a army mule son! I am awaiting your 250MB plan change in the upcoming month.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Yea123 @fixin I just got back an hour ago. Funny thing is one phone connected to AT&T and the other connected to T-Mobile. I had no problem on both, had talk/text and data on both. I used a lot of FaceTime there too!! Abuse it like a rented army mule son!!!

fixin

@Yea123 - Last year in August when I went to the states with Virgin daily roaming I was able to switch between the carriers efficiently but thanks!

But for my friend I have I will keep his to automatic and see what it defaults to.

I am more of that technical buggy that 50% of my dialpad has this on it:

IMG_7167.PNG

And that is how to access the debug menu, if you are on 5G NSA or SA and your -dbm signal strength.

Yea123

@fixin In that case, i would suggest using the automatic option but if face any problem try to switch the operator in between. Make sure you restart the phone each time when you select the operator manually.

fixin

@Yea123 - I am planning to go to the states in July, have it planned for a road trip.

25% (Border to a close town) of the way in the States will be AT&T for me.

75% of the way (Including our destination) will be T-Mobile for me.

Yea123

I went to the USA yesterday, all i needed to do is turn on the DATA ROAMING. For the calling and text you do not need to do anything at all. But if you face any problems using data you can manually select the T mobile network which is pretty good.

AllT

Just have data roaming on and make sure your phone is volte compatible  and you should be good to go. I’m in Ft Worth right now and it works perfectly.  Also connect to AT&T manually if auto connect doesn’t work 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@krichardson100 

for best talk-ability while in US, you need a cellphone with volte enabled by PM. Can you confirm if volte is enabled ? Turn off wifi and dial a local number. If the call stays on LTE, you're good. If the call drops to 3G, well...no so good.

fixin

@krichardson100 - Nothing on PM's end other than on your phone's end.

Please do this on your phone

• Turn On data Roaming to use your data in the states
  • Manually connect to T-Mobile or AT&T for service to work. Verizon isn't one of the roaming partners and some peoples devices connect to Verizon by default.
  • LTE is more stable than 5G. Use LTE. 
  • If calls aren't working, manually connect to T-Mobile and switch it to 2G. * They are removing 2G sites now so may be unstable or No service *

No other things are needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.