cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data still not here?!! - Public/Lucky/Chatr

allagelman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lucky and Chatr offer Unlimited Data. That's a pretty huge advantage. Reminds me of Freedom. Freedom slows you down to faster speeds where as Lucky and Chatr is a bit slower; still an amazing feature to have (128kbps speeds).

I wonder why all discount flanker brands have Unlimited Data except for Public Mobile?!!

48 REPLIES 48

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Pushed.....yes. Think about this.....every current in market plan on offer at pm...

The $15, $25, $35, $40, $50, $60 and $70 plans have all either had features added, increased data allotments or a price decrease since they were first introduced. So how do you justify singling out the most basic of plans the $10 50/50 plan for a 30% rate hike?

This is a targeted strategy of rewards clawback and plan migration to increase profitability starting with customers already marginalized and without a voice but who have not been coerced into "paying for frills they don't need in the first place" ....yet.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Korth: It's lazy, easy, low-hanging fruit to say it's only $3. It still remains a whopping 30% increase for exactly nothing. Maybe if they'd up the text count - that would be something. Maybe if they'd throw in 50MB of data (at full LTE of course) - that would be something. Maybe if they'd made it unlimited inbound calls - that would be something. Or make it the 100/100 plan. Nothing. Just empty your pockets please.

Then there's a whole marketing piece out the window that makes them bear false witness. We'll reward you $1 per month for every year of your customer loyalty to us up to $5 after 5 years. 3 of those years just vanished. Stolen. Rendered valueless. Here's our heartfelt thank you for your 3 years of remaining a customer. The loyalty in effect resets to 0. So the loyalty is now only of value for 2 years if you feel like remaining loyal to a disloyal company for an additional 2 years to gain back the loss of the 3 years. Customer loses.

Then there's the real percentage increase for customers who have their 5 years of loyalty for $5 and the $2 autopay. It magically turns in to a 50% increase. Math is fun isn't it.

Really, how many $10 customers were there still on the books? 1000? So $3000 clawed back at the cost of all this lousy optics. How cheap do you have to be to think it's a good thing to add $3000 to your $1.321000B profit that was already a 46% increase from the year prior? Gosh make that $1.321003B profit. Go all the way to 10,000 customers. Ooh $30,000. Make that $1.321030B profit. Really? It barely makes a dent to be worth it.

But of course, $10 customers can just walk. They're absolutely free to. What these corporations may not grasp of their customers is that many will re-examine their expenditures with Telus and make adjustments to reduce their costs. I'm now leaning hard towards getting rid of the Telus Wireless Home Phone. With the loss of the small bundle discount on other Telus services I have, I would actually save about $5 overall. Why didn't I do that long ago for what seems a no-brainer? Because this price increase made me re-examine things. Telus still wins by a handful of dollars though over all services I'm on in the Telus family with this price increase. I may look hard at other options. That's what price increases do to customers. Oh, my, gee, do I need to be spending this much? Maybe I can trim off here and there and save a few dollars. If a service provider does not increase prices then customers just keep going along as they have, sufficiently satisfied with what they're paying overall and not being awakened out of their costs slumber. Keep the status quo. Not now for this decades-long customer. I'm looking hard.

@sahands wrote:

... So here we are now, they gutted the rewards system, and made a 30% price increase for those of us on the old plan. Now I'm being pushed to buy a more expensive plan next month, and I'm wondering why would I stay with PM when others (freedom, chatr, lucky etc.) have unlimited data for the same price as PM.

Pushed?

You'll be paying $13 instead of $10. More than before, true.

But you'll still collect Rewards. Unless you opt-out from Rewards, opt-in to Points.

And even without any savings from Rewards or Points, you won't find a phone plan for $13 (or less) anywhere else.

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There will be a whole bunch more unhappy PM customers if they bring in unlimited data and take away the rewards system. Then we WILL have something to blame Telus for.

I always find conflicting arguments interesting. One person complains that company ABC isn’t doing exactly like the two competitions are doing. The other person complains that everyone offers the exact same thing, “no competition” the cry out loud. Here we have PM offering a different type of low cost plan and some want it changed to be the same as what the competitors offer. Go figure….

AE_Collector

What's that they say about hindsight? So here we are now, they gutted the rewards system, and made a 30% price increase for those of us on the old plan. Now I'm being pushed to buy a more expensive plan next month, and I'm wondering why would I stay with PM when others (freedom, chatr, lucky etc.) have unlimited data for the same price as PM.

@BeachNBeer wrote:

Put you're phone away and enjoy real life when you run out of data 🙂 

Dealers don't want their customers to escape addiction!

They'll give you "free" junk if they have to - just barely enough to keep you hooked so you'll come back to them the moment you can afford your habit again.

But they won't give you whatever options, alternatives, resources, or guidance you need to break your habit, lol.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Put you're phone away and enjoy real life when you run out of data 🙂 

@darkomega wrote:

I think pigs would fly and the world would end long before you ever see public mobile give throttled unlimited data, it's a sad true fact, blame Telus.

There will be a whole bunch more unhappy PM customers if they bring in unlimited data and take away the rewards system. Then we WILL have something to blame Telus for.

I always find conflicting arguments interesting. One person complains that company ABC isn’t doing exactly like the two competitions are doing. The other person complains that everyone offers the exact same thing, “no competition” the cry out loud. Here we have PM offering a different type of low cost plan and some want it changed to be the same as what the competitors offer. Go figure….

AE_Collector

@allagelman wrote:

From what I see the rewards only make sense if your on a plan you're happy about.

While data that doesn’t run out would make everyone happy, the reality of the speed maybe not so much? I suspect it would be more than just slower speeds such as items that won’t download at all due to time outs etc. I picture a fair bit of frustration associated with speeds this slow. The internet isn’t built for speeds that slow.

AE_Collector 

BeachNBeer

@hTideGnow  Doubtful for Volte that's for higher tiers not PM 3rd tier. 3g in Canada will likely be around till Dec 2025 according to some articles online.

My guess, USA add-ons will be 4g. 

BeachNBeer

@darlicious 

T-Mobile extended theirs to March 31st and Verizon is going down Dec 2022. I think maybe ATT will extend theirs and PM will be good longer than Feb 2022 but PM also works on T-Mobile so March 31st PM is good. 

Thanks @darlicious   Let's hope the update is that PM will be a VoLTE provider here in Candd as well as roaming in US.

2Mbps for Sasktel is so good that almost as good as our regular speed here!!

@hTideGnow 

Jade already replied in another thread that an update in regards to pm's US roaming will be coming soon.

@allagelman 

The best Canadian provider for throttled unlimited data is Sasktel who throttles their unlimited data down to 2mbps after your plan data allotment has been reached. 4 -times the speed of the big three.

@allagelman wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk  I'm happy with throttled data vs. no data at all. US carriers have been doing this for years. Freedom is the one that started that trend here in Canada.

No problem. Just a warning of expense vs what you get. To some it would be worthwhile...to others it would be more prudent control of use of what they have. 

HI @allagelman   US is shutting down 3G network.  No word yet if PM will be able to still roam after the doom day.  So, maybe this advantage will no longer next year.  We are still waiting for official words.   

allagelman

@hTideGnow  What I do prefer about Public over Lucky is that PM allows US Roaming. Lucky does not offer it. Its sorta nice to have the option to get that feature. I miss the Public Mobile plan from summer 2019 that gave US Roaming included free for $60/m. That was a great plan for those who did a lot of US travel or even for simple day trips. Now PM doesn't even offer it.

@darkomega wrote:

I think pigs would fly and the world would end long before you ever see public mobile give throttled unlimited data, it's a sad true fact, blame Telus.

You might be right.

I think Public Mobile will get around to it, eventually. When slow mobile data becomes a "basic" common feature instead of a marketable commodity. Text messages were once a costly commodity, picture attachments were once a commodity, "long distance" calling (to the city next door) was once a commodity, "airtime minutes" were once a commodity - but these things are essentially included unlimited "freebies" on all but the lowest-cost bottom-end plans these days no matter where you go.

For now "Unlimited" "Endless" "Infinite" Data is valuable marketing instrument. It's perceived as valuable - people keep buying it. They won't give it away (and de-value it) until it already has little real value - people keep buying it so of course the Big Three keep selling it.

darkomega

@allagelman Welcome to the Canadian cellular market that IS "competition" here.

allagelman

@darkomega  If Rogers gets Freedom Mobile. It will just become another Fido or Chatr brand. We will be going back 12 years because no more competition left to balance it all out. 😅

allagelman

@hTideGnow  Freedom Zone keeps getting bigger. Every year it keeps expanding. The've come a long way. Most of the new Freedom towers are made by Nokia. If you leave the zone could be a problem if your Freedom plan doesn't include Canada Roaming. Most of their Big Gig Unlimited Plans include Canada Partner Networks. If you live in Rural Canada obviously not realistic. But, going to Collingwood for the day or during a drive from Toronto to Ottawa the partner network works like a charm. The 1GB unlimited is fast but mainly reserved for Waze. You could technically download offline google maps for a drive and use that 1GB for something else. But like most say on here with Wi-Fi your fine most of the time even if your on a partner network for a short duration.

darkomega

@allagelman I wouldn't count on it at this stage since the competition bureau hasn't made any decisions on what is happening, it's safe to say they will quietly push it through the way rogers wants, seems to be the angle since the deal is supposed to close in the first half of 2022.

Freedom is still good within the city limit ,  I believe it will be an issue if you drive out town a lot.  Maybe things changed a bit now?

darkomega

@hTideGnow And if they somehow actually do it, ill be sure to post a pic of hell freezing over 😉

allagelman

@Korth  Good question. To answer the second part of your question answer is no. The reason why I left Freedom was because I my son was living in Lake Louise, AB. The only cell tower in the area was a Telus tower on top of the Fairmont building. Now that he is back in Toronto I would grab the next chance to come back to Freedom. I have a basic plan so right now it makes sense to stay with Public Mobile. My son was with Public when he moved to Alberta. As soon as he came back to Ontario switched right back to Freedom. He's paying $50 for 20GB Unlimited Data. When he roams in Canada outside of a Freedom zone gets 1GB Unlimited of Partner Network. You can still get this plan right now actually. Only when he got it a year ago got a free Samsung Galaxy FE 5G phone for Free. Phone was $0 and monthly fee was $0 as long as your a customer for 24 months. He loves Freedom. He even said he felt weird being part of the big 3 because its like helping the monopoly grow bigger. He didn't feel that with Freedom. Shaw is still better than big 3. Hopefully if Rogers gets Shaw they will be forced to sell Freedom to a smaller company or back to Anthony L. (The original founder of Wind Mobile).

@darkomega wrote:

Hi @darkomega .  True.  OP already know the answer Lucky has it and not here.  We can scream all we want and we won't make a difference.  Even if Telus listens, it won't come quick.  

darkomega

@allagelman wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk  I'm happy with throttled data vs. no data at all. US carriers have been doing this for years. Freedom is the one that started that trend here in Canada.

Hi @allagelman  , Lucky has it, why don't you consider jumping ship?

I am cheap, if we get unlimited data like Lucky but also no reward saving like Lucky, I'd rather the reward  🙂

darkomega

@allagelman wrote:

@gpixel  Oh so you're saying Freedom slows you down to 512kbps. That's why I never had problems with their version of unlimited data because its 5x faster compared to Lucky/Chatr. I never tried Lucky and Chatr; I can only speak for Freedom which was amazing. I have to assume Lucky and Chatr 5x less amazing lol

Freedom slows you to 256kbps, then further down if you abuse their fair access policy down to as low as 32kbps, Lucky mobile is 128kbps but it stays that way until your cycle renews.

allagelman

allagelman

@gpixel  Oh so you're saying Freedom slows you down to 512kbps. That's why I never had problems with their version of unlimited data because its 5x faster compared to Lucky/Chatr. I never tried Lucky and Chatr; I can only speak for Freedom which was amazing. I have to assume Lucky and Chatr 5x less amazing lol

@allagelman 

learn how to manage your data better. track how much your data usage is for one month and purchase the correct plan. if you have wifi at home then connect only to wifi and not both. update your apps through wifi

split your data allotment into quarters and use only a quarter of the data every week. save PMs free data gifts and use that as your overflow. the higher tier providers offer decent unlimited data speeds, but the third tier(lucky, chatr) do not.... 128kbps and 96kbps is very slow. to compare that against freedoms 512kbps is mistake.. purchase a lucky plan and see for yourself...

Need Help? Let's chat.