cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Data Usage

terryjwhiteside
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My data usage record shows I used about 61mb of data on Mar 20 at 1:42am...I'm not awake at 1:42am, I'm asleep and even though my phone is on I am connected to my home wifi.   What can account for this unknown, data usage?

7 REPLIES 7

@terryjwhiteside   Lol...hopefully, you were able to view the planet lineup, unfortunately, I only got to see Jupiter and Venus which are obviously the easiest to view anyhow and the rest were blocked due to too many trees and clouds.

terryjwhiteside

Thanks for this, I think I found the culprit that is using my data, it's an app called Star Tracker I was using to locate the 5 planet alignment this past week.  It used 167Mb of my 250Mb limit.  I have now turned off background data and will monitor to see what happens.

@Andyrob26   Do you have Data Saver/Restrict Background Data enabled on the phone?  You should be able find them under Data Usage (Connections).

Andyrob26

Mine is doing the same.  It has come to the point that i now turn my data off when i dont need it.  I have tried forcing stop on some of my apps as i am wondering if something is updating and running in the background.  But when you have so many its hard to know which one.

terryjwhiteside

Thanks for the reply but I'm having a hard time accepting this explanation since I see a pattern of 2 data amounts for the same time most days eg. on on Mar 22 it shows 24.88Mb at 12:48am as well as 0.75Mb at 12:48am.  Again, at this time I'm asleep and phone is connected to home wifi. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@terryjwhiteside 

try this for accurate data availability...

refresh.jpg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@terryjwhiteside   no worry, the 61 MB was not consumed during 1:42.

PM only update the data usage twice a day.  So, the entry you see is the total data usage between 1:42am and the timestamp of the previous entry. So, pretty much the total usage for the 12 hours

Need Help? Let's chat.