cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unannounced speed reduction on Fall 2016 plan

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

When we first got this plan, the speed profiles were limited to 1000 Mbps DL. It's now 300 Mbps. Did anyone get a notification about this?

Screenshot_20220711-083126~2.png

11 REPLIES 11

I found this disclaimer for the old plans:

Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps).

@sheytoon   you are correct!!!

the news said Fido added a speed cap but Fido confirmed that the caps only apply to new plans

I don't remember anyone changing speeds for existing customers. I thought only new customers or plan changes were impacted.

@dabr   Yes, I saw that , too.  But I think it is across the board and not just limited to unlimited plan

And btw, Rogers and Fido has reduced the speed lately, too.  Not sure Bell, but I think everyone is doing it

Did they notify anyone?  I doubt it.  I doubt anyone make proper notification.  I don't think they make any promise in speed when we signed up.  Not sure about those grandfather plans with PM, but my experiences with couple activations with different providers, I never see they have ever stressed the speed they will provide

@softech   That link says those speed caps will be for plans with unlimited data, so reduced speed after using the monthly data allotment and there's a clarification that the reduced data speed will only apply to new plans and not existing customers? 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon- What?! Wait! You mean Telus is cheating and violating their contracts and agreements with their customers?! Say it ain't so. And here I always thought Telus was an upstanding honest corporate citizen. I'm so disillusioned. 

Prepaid customers have very little protection anywhere. Companies can do whatever they want whenever they want with little to no regard for their affected customers. Then they can spin a line of lies to the CCTS and the CCTS buys it. Corruption. Bought and paid for with the luxury yachts to show for it.

@Meow I'm not talking about advertised speed. This is the provisioning on the account. Previously it was 1000 Mbps. Telus lowered it to 300 Mbps without informing us or getting our consent.

It won't affect day to day tasks, but it sets a bad precedence if Telus starts changing plan details arbitrarily. In fact I believe it's in violation of the wireless code of conduct.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Definitely concerning 😕

Meow
Mayor / Maire

With more and more people signing up I doubt any company can keep advertised speed. But why would you need any extreme speed for mobile connection? Do you have unlimited data? Watching movies? 5-10GB will go in no time...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I think this could be related to the overall speed cap imposed by Telus

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/02/17/telus-speed-caps-mobile-plans/#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20det....

@sheytoon 

I remember when Public Mobile was capping LTE-speed plans at around 60Mvps but didn't tell anyone.  The 300Mbps number is concerning because the information that I've seen has Public Mobile advertising up to 750Mbps for such price plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.