cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ukraine crisis

Oleginza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is Public Mobile going to follow the example of Bell, Rogers, Telus, Koodo and provide free calls to Ukraine during the crisis?

17 REPLIES 17

Oleginza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is great news! Thank you Text Now!

At least there is an option to call my family in Ukraine, who are trying to escape the Russian bombing with 2 year child and elderly parents.

A bit sad that Public Mobile is not doing this.

As said  calling Ukraine is not even an option here even you willing to pay,  PM won't feel bad for not offer it for free.  

@BKNS27 wrote:

TextNow just posted free calls to Ukraine...PM?

"Others are doing this thing. Wearing this thing. Buying this thing. Why aren't you doing this thing?"

Peer pressure attempts to shame a corporation into different (and costly) decisions? Good luck with that.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Oleginza   Good New, calling Ukraine is now FREE on your PM device.... and any other device if you have TextNow installed.    🙂

VoIP app TextNow provides free calls to Ukraine.  So, install it and call for free  during the crisis.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

TextNow just posted free calls to Ukraine...PM?

@softech wrote:

Let's hope when PM is ready to add Ukraine to the list, it won't be part of Russian Add-on  

Ouch. 😨

@Korth wrote:

Maybe PM will add Ukraine to the list, one day. But it's not going to happen before Russian military occupation in that country is ended.

Let's hope when PM is ready to add Ukraine to the list, it won't be part of Russian Add-on  😞

@computergeek541 wrote:
I'm uncertain that Public Mobile has the ability to program a specific calling distination as zero-rated ...

It wouldn't be a hard barrier built into the system. It would be a money barrier. If a Public Mobile executive (or a directive from Telus) decided to allow free calling to somewhere then it would happen.

Foreign networks are businesses just like Canadian networks, their calling minutes have to be purchased. So somebody pays. Free calls for subscribers means their providers have chosen to pay - or that their providers are obligated to pay (because the "free" calls are included in the plan price).

Public Mobile is a third-tier provider. The one with the lowest costs, fewest options, maximum value, and minimum frill. I doubt they'll suddenly implement Ukraine calling within their International list - indeed, the sudden and ongoing crisis (which includes repeated attacks on communications networks) in Ukraine would probably make  across-the-border business arrangements problematic.

Maybe PM will add Ukraine to the list, one day. But it's not going to happen before Russian military occupation in that country is ended.

@Oleginza wrote:

Is Public Mobile going to follow the example of Bell, Rogers, Telus, Koodo and provide free calls to Ukraine during the crisis?

I'm uncertain that Public Mobile has the ability to program a specific calling distination as zero-rated, and also don't beleive that Public Mobile has ever participated in any of the free calling programs offered by other brands during emergency situations.  I'm sure that the gesture by Public Mobile would be appreciated, but if they do decide to offer free calling (I have not heard anything from them about this), it would likely be in the form of an add-on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

While probably improper to test out calling into a war zone...I tried to call an eatery of some sort and it didn't connect. Got the cheery lady recording from here. Not a recording from the other side.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Oleginza   Since it has been 2 days, there is no announcement , I don't think PM is giving free calls to Ukraine.  Also, the system is not to setup to call Ukraine anyway , I don't think PM will be that nice to introduce a new free add-on to call Ukraine.

Let's hope there will be peace very soon.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Oleginza wrote:

@Oleginza  - we are all customers/members here on the Public Forum, so would not know the answer to that unless it showed up in an Announcement or free addon in your Self Serve. 

So keep an eye, you never know.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Oleginza 

So far only the top tier carriers (Telus, Bell, Rogers, Shaw) plus Videotron, Xplornet, Distriutel and Primus are waiving calls/texting to Ukraine.

I am sure it will carry onto mid tier and lower tiers but who knows.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I doubt. PM does not have add-on for Ukraine so it might be difficult to open that line.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Oleginza   It won't happen.

Ukraine is not even part of PM long distance calling list

PM has a very small number of countries you can call with its add-ons, Ukraine is not part of it

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Oleginza  Don't even think Public Mobile offers an add-on to call Ukraine. So my guess is a big nope!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Oleginza 

As Public Mobile & Koodo are both under the TELUS umbrella, and since both TELUS and Koodo are offering this, I might not hold my breath that Public Mobile will.

I wonder if Bell and Roger's 3rd flanker services (Lucky and Chatr) are doing this?   Let alone their 2nd tier providers?

Need Help? Let's chat.