cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Roaming Banner Warning

bigscottydawg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I saw the following banner warning on the add-on page.

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, some United States (U.S) carriers will begin turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks in the U.S. As a result, some customers using U.S. roaming add-ons may be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. 

I am looking at buying a USA Talk, Text and Data add on in the LA / Huntington Beach California area for March 12th to 24th. I am currently on the $25 a month 1 GB 3g plan. Am I to assume from the above banner that the add-on may not work because we currently only get access to 3G data in Canada so that is what we will get in the USA? It appears this may also affect phone calls and data (and presumbaly texts too). Can anyone clarify this? Is there a way to get 4G data on the add-on so this isn't an issue?

13 REPLIES 13

@LeePublic wrote:

They should at least enable VoLTE especially when some parts of Manitoba and the US are shutting down their 3G networks.

I think it is coming , at least for Canada, just a matter of when.  

With PM introducing Public Points, I see PM is still staying in the game and not giving up. 

3G has to go, so Telus has can no longer make it exclusive to  Koodo and Telus only , Telus has to share it with it's "cheap" brother, sooner or later 🙂 .  I guess once PM has VoLTE, they will also have it for US roaming.   Of course, the guessing game now is WHEN????

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They should at least enable VoLTE especially when some parts of Manitoba and the US are shutting down their 3G networks.

bigscottydawg

I see. Thanks

@bigscottydawg  In Canada, we can get data on both 3G and LTE, in fact, most people get their data on LTE

it's just that the data speed is capped at 3Mpbs.   So, PM calls it Data at 3G speed  🙂

bigscottydawg

I thought I read somewhere that you get 3g data while roaming because that's what you get in Canada. Is this not the case?

bigscottydawg

I hope you are right about a new agreement. Actually, we are only there on the 12th, 13th, and 20th-24th. Not really worth getting a local sim card. Prefer to keep our current number too. Thanks for the info.

bigscottydawg

So it looks like ATT will be shut down before I go but T-Mobile will still be up and running so I guess it will depend on whether I can get T-Mobile service where I am as to whether the add on will work or not.

@bigscottydawg wrote:

Well it will be completely ridiculous then if they continue to sell these ad-ons after February 22nd.

Agree. 

But instead of a solid NO MORE roaming like Fido Prepaid, maybe it is a sign that they are finalizing a new Roaming agreement?   So, maybe good news coming?  ( i hope it is not just a sign of greediness, they want to keep collecting Roaming $$ a long as there is still one 3G tower in US  LoL)

Since you are there for 10 days, would you consider using US Local Data SIM ?  it usually cheaper and more data

You will need to use VoIP apps for voice calls

If you expect 2FA text, you will have to change to other 2FA , like email (not as good) or Authenticator app (BEST)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

The banner warning appears to be the update....so no voLTE for pm customers yet. 

@bigscottydawg 

This primarily affects your voice calls as texts and data already run on the 4G LTE network with pm. If you are only in the US for less than a month then using a voip app like textnow and/or fongo to call forward your pm phone calls to your voip app and purchasing just a US roaming data add on will allow you to recieve your pm voice calls and make calls on your voip app. You will still recieve incoming pm texts and send them on text now and use all with your US roaming data add on. Be sure to perform the call forwarding to your voip while in Canada before you leave.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@bigscottydawg wrote:

Well it will be completely ridiculous then if they continue to sell these ad-ons after February 22nd.

@bigscottydawg  - agreed. 

I am a little surprised (but glad) they put a banner warning on the addon page though.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bigscottydawg  - Public Mobile (Telus) uses AT&T and T-Mobile networks for roaming services in the USA.

Seems like the end of that 3G era:  

https://www.vox.com/recode/22912235/3g-shutting-down-att-verizon-tmobile

https://wwmt.com/news/local/3g-networks-to-shut-down-in-2022-what-this-means-for-your-phone

bigscottydawg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bigscottydawg   Yes, with US start closing down 3G network starting this month, it is possible you might not get the proper roaming service.  PM is running on 3G for voice and no VoLTE here in Canada, I am afraid they do not have a roaming agreement for VoLTE.  I think data should still work

Fido already told their Prepaid customers that Fido is no longer offering Roaming service for their Prepaid customers.  

Jade , the Community manager, responded before that she will check if the retiring or 3G network will affect Roaming for us,  but so far there is no official update other than the new banner

BTW,  10 days roaming service starts the moment you purchase the add-on. DO NOT buy it ahead of time.  Since your trip is end of March , there is still time and hope we will have clearer idea soon  

Need Help? Let's chat.