cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Package confusion

Rascal
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I bought a US Roaming bundle for talk, text and data for 15 days. I purchased it yesterday, January 17. I paid $30. When I arrived in the US, all I had was talk and text, no data. I have paid $30 for a bundle that today I could buy for $10. That's part of my frustration. The other is that I have been without data for two days and have to sit in a restaurant or the library to do any business. What do I do now?

The other issue is the 3G US warning that comes up. On my plan it says that I have 3G. On my phone, it says that I have 4G. Could that be why I cannot get any data? I doubt that because nowhere on my plan online does it say that I have a data add on. I don't want to add a data add on and spend even more when I have spent $30 already.

Help! This could well be the breaking point with me and PM. I have been a loyal client for several years, but this add-on business is a hassle every year.

18 REPLIES 18

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Rascal

Public Mobile hasn't come up with a fix yet. Since you have just started your 15 day US Roaming add on give them a few days to figure out the problem and come back on your 7th day or so and see if there has been a fix. Hopefully its a blanket fix and you wont need customer support at all. This way those currently on their 10th+day that just lost their ability to roam can get immediate attention since theres not much customer support will do for you other than open a tech team ticket and put you in the queue.

@Rascal wrote:

You mean our 15 day bundles will expire in 10 days? 

@Rascal 

not supposed to,  But this is something support can help to fix

Please engage them: 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Rascal

You mean our 15 day bundles will expire in 10 days? What then? I don't see where there is a 10-day bundle. How do I contact customer support?

Rascal

Ok. My problem has been resolved. It wasn't PM's fault. I now have data. I am still confused about the 3G/4G and the $10 offer that is no longer there, but at least I have the data I paid for.

@darlicious- Well 2G of course! 🤣

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

VoLTE is assumed....what else would they use?

@darlicious- ... and uses VoLTE and even opens up the VoWifi option (didn't test). They also have other services that use AT&T and even CDMA.

Thanks for that @darlicious   🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Definitely a cheaper option.....who also use the T-Mobile network.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Still likin' the $2.50US Red Pocket service from ebay.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

It's important to remember mint mobile only offers a minimum 90 day plan. The cheapest option is the US $15 plan×3=US $45 =$60 cdn. Mint mobile also uses T-Mobile's network so while voice services will have improved reliability as they use VoLTE calling there will not be any improved overall connectivity to their network so the lack of service in rural and under populated areas of the US will remain.

@Rascal 

Sounds like the cache issues with public mobile website.

Not only are there add-ons changes not fully implemented (with incorrect expiry messaging) but if you don’t enter self-serve from an incognito state, you may see outdated information.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Rascal 

Well it's good to hear you have voice calls working which means you can connect to T-Mobile's 2G network. Texts are working on the 4G LTE  network so you also have a connection to T-Mobile's 4G LTE network. If you have enabled both data and roaming on your phone as mentioned by @dust2dust  then clear your browser and log into your account using secret/incognito mode. Scroll down your plan and add ons page, Do you see the  US Roaming data add on? If not click on the refresh arrow thingy at the bottom right of the add ons box. Do you see it now? If not go to your payment page and check your payment history. What does it show that you have purchased? If you see the talk+text+data bundle but no US Roaming data add on has been added you will need to contact customer support to have it added.

However since you need data I suggest you purchase the corresponding  US Roaming data add on to your current bundle. Then ask customer support to credit back the purchase price once they fix the original missing US Roaming data. If you will be staying beyond 10 days you can ask the CSA how they are going to fix the early expiration of the 15 day US Roaming add ons? They are currently expiring at the 10 day (240 hours) mark rather than at 15 days (360 hours) mark.

You may also find this update post and the original post of this thread helpful to you....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Rascal

We also noticed that there was a talk/text offer for 15 days for $10 just now, when I could only find one for $15. Then when we went back in to order 15 days for my husband, it was back to $15 for $15 days.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you turn on the roaming data option and of course cell data itself? I know, obvious right, but gotta ask. Data should work if you have the other 2 working.

Be forewarned that there is yet a new bug in roaming where the 15 days stops at the old 10. Go figure.

Adding -@Handy1- No, this is a different problem.

I have to agree with @HALIMACS  it seems this is what all the posts are about since they changed from 10 day to 15 day plans 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Rascal 

All in all, the experience with US add-ons is horrible.

Customers going there should absolutely consider purchasing a prepaid Sim card from a US provider, such as T mobile or mint mobile — I know I would if I was going.

Contact the public mobile support agents and tell them you would like a refund as you are not at all satisfied with the add on.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 

2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.