cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming warning in real terms?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Trying to understand the implications of the roaming warning on PM site. I know AT&T/TMo are turning off 2G and 3G networks, and seem to require VoLTE (Voice over LTE) capability for a handset to work (ran into trouble with this a year ago, which I post after the quote).

Re-re-re-re-reading the warning, it seems to be all about voice and not about data. Does that mean data should still work, voice might not, and I'd be best off to get a data-only roaming package, then make calls using Google Voice, or a softphone and voip.ms? And what if the handset meets VoLTE compatibility requirements on TMo or Mint or whatever sites, will PM work better or will it still not use VoLTE?

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

Last year (Nov 2021), a relative's Samsung A8 would not work on Mint (TMo MVNO) in the US. They require VoLTE capability, Koodo says some A8s have it, their IMEI was one that should, but Mint rejected both the IMEI and the SIM, though PM worked for roaming. This year they're assuming the A8 won't work, but now we're worried about PM service.

Unsolicited recommendation: Mint is a good deal if you're away for a while, right now if you buy at Target or Best Buy (I like to order for store pickup so I know there will be one) you get 6mo for the price of 3mo. Their cheapest is U$45 total for 3mo (now 6mo) at 4GB/mo. For shorter trips, preloaded SIMs off eBay are a good deal, but you have to get your hands on them (vs picking up at the first Target over the border). For very short trips, of course PM is a great deal (if it works).

BTW I found an article saying that AT&T and TMo were sunsetting 3G in 2/22 and 5/22 respectively, and 2G in 2017 and 12/22 respectively. So there's still hope my beautiful Nokia 6030 will still work on TMo just a little longer? 🙂

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

ottawa

Thank you. I believe TMo is taking down 2G in 12/22 (5 years later than AT&T, I recall them stealing AT&T business from larger organizations that had invested in dedicated 2G devices, e.g. "smart" parking meters). At that point, no PM voice in US? That will actually be simpler and hopefully PM will stop offering US-roaming add-ons that include voice. (Until they get VoLTE working, that is).

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Public: 3G/UMTS - talk, text, data.

4G/LTE - text, data

Our roaming capability: 4G/LTE - text, data

2G/GSM - talk (T-Mobile only)

I'm skeptical that AT&T still works for us at all.

The V in VoLTE = voice.

@ottawa 

text runs on LTE in the Americas

check this website out

https://esim.me/

ottawa

Thank you. When you say "Even if you have VoLTE comparable phone, it will not work with Public Mobile roaming." you mean for voice? With TMo set to shut down 2G officially in 12/22, that may be gone completely (at which point PM should update the notice to "no voice" and even remove voice plans as a US roaming option).

I'm thinking of telling my relative to get data only and use GV or a softphone (which I'll have to set up), or to consider whether it's worth U$45 for 6mo of Mint. Probably not worth it, PM better in 10-day increments, though of course U$45 would cover multiple trips to US. That's about C$60, and PM would be C$10-$20 a pop so maybe better.

What network do texts (SMS) run on? Specifically, would texts still work after TMo shuts down 2G completely? Hoping they run on 4G.

Thanks.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

The issue with Public mobile US roaming at the present time is the decommissioning of 3G Networks in the USA.  Public mobile uses AT&T and T mobile as their US partner carriers.  AT&T already phased out 3G network earlier this year. T mobile 's date was July 1, 2022.  It may take time for the different areas in USA to decommissioned. 

According to Public mobile,

PM will have T mobile 2G network for US roaming.(for talk)

Voice and SMS text will still work. 

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call. 

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Public mobile is working on a long term solution (ie. VoLTE), but that will take time. 

Some customers have been just getting data roaming plans and using services like Google voice, Fongo, etc.  Even if you have VoLTE comparable phone, it will not work with Public mobile roaming.  

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Need Help? Let's chat.