cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming with 3G subscription northern New England only

gsue
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 3G unlimited talk/text Canada/US subscription.  Will US roaming will work for me?  Have to travel along I-95 corridor from New Brunswick through Maine to Concord NH, remain around the Concord area, and then return.  I understand there are issues with not having a 5G subscription.  Does anyone have recent experience with using 3G in this area?  Also is roaming for talk, text and data?  Do I need the roaming add-on at all for text?  Thank you this trip is an unexpected and urgent family issue.

19 REPLIES 19

In my case, the phone sits with a few bars. When a call happens, the bars jump up to full. That would be an indication of dropping to the old 3G/UMTS. I finally noticed (had missed) that you have an iphone. If you so much as see the volte option then you have volte. So roaming talk should be fine for you. Of course depending on actual T-Mobile coverage on your travels. That's not the responsibility of Public.

gsue

We live in rural NS and we never have full bars unless we travel to a city.  The number of bars does not change when in a call.

HI @gsue 

i see. Let us know if any problem tomorrow.

Again,l you can leave it for automatic connection first.  If not, then try the manual connection

Do you have less than full bars just sitting there waiting? If so then when you are in a call (like dial 611) then do the bars jump up? What make and model phone is it?

I'm just trying to nail down whether you actually have volte. Some phones will show the option but it's not actually enabled.

gsue

On the T-Mobile network since things change all the time

gsue

Thanks, yes I understand we will do that once we are in the US.  Won't be there until tomorrow.  I was just trying to get an update on how my 3G would work on the

HI @gsue change the network selection to Manual and check if you see T-Mobile.  Manually  connect to it

gsue

No there are no symbols except the public mobile  name and number of bars.

When you have a call on the phone do you see symbols change up top? With cell data and wifi off do they show a different symbol there?

gsue

Thank you I found the VoLTE.   I will look at the add-ons.  We do not usually need data because we have access to wifi at our destination.  If I can just use the voice and text on the road it would be helpful.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@gsue wrote:

Thank you all for your replies.  Our plan does not include roaming, just able to call/text without add-on.  I do not know what VoLTE is.  My phone is iphone 8   15.3.1

Go to iPhone 8 settings: >Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data>enable "LTE".

The newest iOS is 16.5. Go to settings>General>Software update>Automatic Update>enable "On".

@gsue  iPhone 8 should be good for VoLTE on T-Mobile.  that is to use Lte for voice

See if you have such option (but carrier might have it hidden)

iPhone: Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data, enable 4G or LTE there

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@gsue  So if you want data on your trip you just need a US data roaming add on , if not your good to go 

gsue

Thank you all for your replies.  Our plan does not include roaming, just able to call/text without add-on.  I do not know what VoLTE is.  My phone is iphone 8   15.3.1

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@gsue "Do I need the roaming add-on at all for text?" Yes, you need buy US add on for your trip in USA. If you only need talk and text you can buy $15 for "Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle".

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Which exact Canada/US plan is that? Is that the one from a few years ago that included roaming? Or just able to call to the US without an add-on?

Don't be distracted by the so-called 3G naming. All plans can use the roaming add-ons. The only thing that will work without an add-on is receiving texts. Sending and calling and data need an add-on. You can only get data roaming alone. Otherwise it's only the bundles.

Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You have to purchase US add-on which starts immediately after purchase and lasts 15 days.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gsue   even on a 3G plan, you can still use the LTE roaming plan with T-Mobile.  There were posts about not great reception there, but these things can change.  So, go ahead, buy it , test it and worst case, you can ask for a refund

Make sure you select T-Mobile for your network.  

For data, make sure you enable Roaming Mobile Data on your phone

And if you need voice, enable VoLTE on your phone and if it is compatible, if will work as long as you get T-Mobile Connection

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@gsue  Yes just make sure your connected to T mobile and make sure data roaming is on .enjoy your trip 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.