cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming charges?

bforbryan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good evening,

My family and I are all on PM plans and today we received a text saying “Public Mobile here. Welcome to USA! You can get a U.S. roaming add-on for as low as $10 for 15 days. Customers using Roaming Add-Ons may experience differences in coverage and service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) due to certain U.S. carrier 3G network shutdowns. Go to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/ for Add-On options. If you no longer wish to hear about Public Mobile offers, visit bit.ly/1n8ObE2.”

However, none of us are in America right now. Does the network think we are and will charge our phone use while it’s still mistaken our current location?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

bforbryan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah that's strange, we are not near the U.S. border at all.  Thank you.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@bforbryan   You won't get charged roaming but I seem to recall other PM customers who had this problem saying to change the network in settings from automatic to Public Mobile to stop the phone latching on to the wrong towers when you are near the border.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bforbryan 

You will never ever be charged more than the cost of your plan at Public Mobile. It is prepaid.

@bforbryan wrote:

My family and I are all on PM plans and today we received a text saying “Public Mobile here. Welcome to USA! You can get a U.S. roaming add-on for as low as $10 for 15 days. Customers using Roaming Add-Ons may experience differences in coverage and service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) due to certain U.S. carrier 3G network shutdowns. Go to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/ for Add-On options. If you no longer wish to hear about Public Mobile offers, visit bit.ly/1n8ObE2.”

However, none of us are in America right now. Does the network think we are and will charge our phone use while it’s still mistaken our current location?

Public Mobile does not have any pay per use charges.  If you're close to the border, this means that you're connected to a U.S. cell site.  If you're nowhere near the border, ignore this text message.

Need Help? Let's chat.