cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US dial out and receiving phone calls not working

Thaddeus_King
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the US roaming and data add on added to my phone account. The messaging and data appear to be working fine but I cannot dial out or receive phone calls.

What would be causing this?

It was working in Nevada but is not working in Arizona.

17 REPLIES 17

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Thaddeus_King 

There are only six cell towers in Yuma Arizona transmitting the 2G network. One each at the northern end of both the international Airport and the smaller Somerset Airport. One on Cocopah land near the border to the southwest. And three fairly close to one another near west 1st and south avenue C, just west of west 8th and south avenue D and west 24th and south avenue D. And there's a seventh to the west on I-8 and north sidewinder road. You can check here for more details.....

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What phone are you using? iirc Pixels may not have the ability to drop down to 2G anymore. May be iphone but not sure. I'm losing track. With you connected to T-Mobile, what happens when you dial 611? Do you see any bars change or signal type?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

@Thaddeus_King wrote:

I am in Yuma, Arizona

@Thaddeus_King   based on the T-Mobile 2G map, some part of Arizona including Yuma supposed to have 2G network

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

But also there have been couple posts mentioned they don't get voice reception in Arizona, so, it is really hit or miss

Thaddeus_King

Ok Thanks.

@Thaddeus_King wrote:

Yes but it did not work

@Thaddeus_King   Unfortunately because of the shutdown or the 3G in US, we are relying on the unreliable 2G network and calls might not work everywhere.  This won't get fully resolved until VoLTE is enabled on PM and for roaming

For now, you can only try in different area and hope for the best

You can also get VoIP app like TextNow to make and receive calls.  TextNow will get you a new 10 digits phone number, you use it like a real phone using the app

When you come back to Canada, you can open ticket with PM support and tell them your experience, they might compensate depends on the situation. 

Thaddeus_King

I am in Yuma, Arizona

Thaddeus_King

Yes but it did not work

Thaddeus_King

2G is not an option on my phone. Just Lte and 3G

Thaddeus_King

Yes I did.

@Thaddeus_King   I see your text working, so I am pretty sure you already connected to T-Mobile

May I know which city and state you are at?

For Talk roaming, it relies on T-Mobile 2G network and it is not a very reliable one, you might get it in another area

But one thing, after you see your phone connected to T-Mobile, try to change the Preferred network type to 2G and see if it connects.  If so, try to make calls. 

If still not see it connected, you can try it in different area, try to both 2G in the preferred network and Automatic

Did you try the network selection to 2G?

You would need to go under your devices Network connections, turn off automatic, and manually select the 2G network.

Thaddeus_King

It didn't work. Problem still exists

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Thaddeus_King Unfortunately, this could be "normal"

For voice, it needs to connect T-Mobile 2G network.  Not everywhere in US has good connections to it

You got no problem with text because text can use TMobile LTE network

did you try to make call in different part of the city?

and which city you are at?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Thaddeus_King - have you tried to restart your phone? Has it been longer than 15 days since you added the add on to your account?

Also, ensure to manually connect to the T-Mobile network.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Thaddeus_King 

Manually switch your network to 2g.

Regrettably it is needed for calling in the US given the shut down of the 3G network and no availability of VoLTE calling ... yet.  🤞🤞🤞

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Thaddeus_King @Try connecting it to T-Mobile manually and restart the phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.